My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m currently looking at a 2007 Jeep Compass with 80,000 miles listed for $4,000. VIN: 1J8FT57WX7D265772. Does anyone have any thoughts, advice, warnings etc? Im not Betty familiar with the Compass. Thanks!

·
1,048 Posts
I owned a 2008 Patriot which is a sister to the Compass, and it was rock solid.

Plusses:
+ Very few repairs.
+ Brakes can last beyond 100,000 miles.
+ Fuel economy is c30MPG.
+ It's easy on tires.

Minuses:
- Sunroofs are prone to leaking. There are lots of helpful threads about that.
- CVT transmissions last around 150,000 miles. With normal driving, you should be good for several more years.
- CVTs really can't be repaired, just replaced. (I had two CVTs, one died at 110,000 the replacement went to 280,000).
- Some (not mine) had premature ball joint failures. Popular wisdom is to replace with aftermarket (not Mopar) parts.
- Some (not mine) had premature rust on the sub-frame. FCA extended the warranty on that to 10 years for the original owner.

I think $4000 is a bargain, but of course I can't see it to evaluate it. Since the price is so low, I'd definitely have the sub-frame checked for rust. Otherwise I think it should be good for several more years. Remember, its used not new, so the previous owner is selling it for a reason. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
While not a deal breaker, I'd have the front control arms inspected for bushing wear. They're easily replaced, but if replacement is needed - you could use that fact to cut the price with.

Also, as the other poster pointed out - be sure to check the subframes (that the suspension bits connect to) for rustiness and more importantly - perforation on the welded horizontal seam. That's what I experienced with my '08 Compass. Chrysler replaced both the front and rear subframes for free just about 2 years ago - but I'm an original owner, and I'm not sure how that translates over to a 2nd owner.

Our original CVT also went out at 75k, and was replaced completely free due to our Chrysler Lifetime Drivetrain warranty that was given on the '06-08's.

I'd definitely drive it around enough to get it hot, and then make sure that it doesn't make any kind of whining noises, or feel like there's any low-grade grinding or "grittiness" in the drivetrain during accleration.

OTHERWISE, our Compass has performed well (it has 162k on it), and with just a little washing and waxing over the years, looks like new - and that's in Michigan's extreme climate!

-CSM

·
1,048 Posts
A word of advice. If you get the Patriot I'd suggest changing the tranny fluid every 50,000 miles; don't wait for the recommended interval which I think is 100,000 or 120,000. Since it is at 80,000 and obviously 10 years old, if it hasn't been changed, I'd make it a priority.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I literally just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass. 20 min off the lot I filled the gas tank and encounter the issue where after filling up it stalls out at red lights and studders. Not to thrilled about this vehicle at the moment because of this

·
1,048 Posts
I literally just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass. 20 min off the lot I filled the gas tank and encounter the issue where after filling up it stalls out at red lights and studders. Not to thrilled about this vehicle at the moment because of this
If its a bad rollover valve, you'll need a new tank. :(

Try filling it really slowly, and don't fill it all they way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts