My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this wicked loud growling noise that increases volume with speed. I have replaced both rear wheel hub bearing assemblies (did the rear right yesterday) and still have the noise. I drained the front and rear differential fluid and replaced it with fresh 80W-90. The front fluid came out almost new and the rear fluid was black.

Is it either a bad rear carrier/differential (RDA) or bad CV shaft or a bad center shaft bearing?

RARELY the noise will stop IMMEDIATELY for a few seconds then come back. Like an on/off switch for the extremely loud grinding sound. Before I drop $200-300 on a used rear diff I would like to know if anyone has some experience with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

I spent the $200 for a used low-mileage rear differential ("carrier assembly"). What a pain in the ass to install. I had to drop the exhaust, drop the rear sway bar. Lower it down and yank the CV half shafts from it. Re-install. I almost went blind when I was cutting the exhaust clamp with my cordless grinder; a piece of debris bounced and made it past my fast shield. What a real pain in the butt job. Took me like seven hours. I need to get a new band style exhaust clamp as I had to cut the OEM one off as the bolt was super rusted.

Here is the best part. EVERYTHING I DID WAS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. I replaced the right-rear hub bearing last month thinking it was causing the noise. Nope wasn't that. TURNS OUT IT WAS THE OTHER SIDE. Yup. I replaced that bearing with a Moog in July 2018 (3yr warranty). That miserable piece of crap wasted so much of my time and money.

Yes I did the "wobble test" on all wheels twice to see if there was any play and there never was. Until today.

After I finished the job I still had it on four jacks so I put it in drive with the new rear diff. It sounded like hell still. So I shutoff the engine and go to the rear and manually spin the tires. Yup - I could actually feel how bad the left-rear bearing was. Wobbles like crazy too. I wish I would have did the "wobble test" to check for play earlier this morning before I started ripping everything apart. What a mess. I just initiated a return for RockAuto for the two new CV half shafts and am trying to negotiate a return of the rear differential to the seller. Might not be worth it considering the high cost of shipping...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts