My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2018 Compass Limited into the dealer a couple days ago to get an oil change and I'm skeptical about the quality of work performed...

When I got home, I checked the oil within 5 minutes of shutdown. It was clean, but considerably over the FULL mark (probably a little over 1/2 inch above the top of the hatch lines). The next morning, I checked the oil cold, and it was right at the top of the hatch lines, indicating FULL while cold. The service invoice shows that the dealer filled up with 6 qt of oil whereas the owner's manual requires 5.5 qt... is it common for a dealer to overfill oil by 0.5 qt and is this something to be concerned about?

While I was checking the oil, I noticed that the coolant appeared quite low. The dealer was supposed to inspect and top up any fluids as required. The amount of coolant in the bottle is pictured below, taken when cold. The MAX line is very obvious, however there doesn't appear to be a MIN line etched into the side of the bottle (you can barely see MIN in the picture so I wrote it on the picture). The level of coolant is well below the MIN letters... Is my coolant too low?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
Overfilled oil is not good, but not too bad. Don't think about that.
Just always keep the level above the MIN.

It's better to add the coolant. The coolant type must meet FCA Material Standard MS.90032.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I agree your circumstance is unusual. If a shop was trying to cheat a customer I'd expect a short fill on the oil. With these Tigershark engines the oil level will probably come down soon enough. Maybe the dealer is trying to compensate. Overfilling oil is not good, but that little bit isn't a serious problem.

As for the coolant, if it was me I'd just add a little water. Dilluting it too much would diminish its effectiveness, but a pint shouldn't matter. If the coolant level keeps on going down then don't keep adding water. A continual drop in the coolant level would mean you have a problem that should be addressed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check coolant level again when hot. I bet it will be near max line.

·
Super Moderator
172 Posts
About a month ago the dealer replaced a hose assembly that was leaking on my 2019, the level in the coolant tank after the service was nearly identical to yours. I agree that it seems a bit low, but I haven't added any yet because as long as there is something in the tank when cold, the system should have enough coolant, since the tank is the highest point in the system.

I do find it odd that there is no clear line depicting the MIN level, maybe it is supposed to be seam on the tank.

Another thing I found interesting, if you remove the cap while the engine is warm (don't try it hot) the level in the tank increases significantly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About a month ago the dealer replaced a hose assembly that was leaking on my 2019, the level in the coolant tank after the service was nearly identical to yours. I agree that it seems a bit low, but I haven't added any yet because as long as there is something in the tank when cold, the system should have enough coolant, since the tank is the highest point in the system.

I do find it odd that there is no clear line depicting the MIN level, maybe it is supposed to be seam on the tank.

Another thing I found interesting, if you remove the cap while the engine is warm (don't try it hot) the level in the tank increases significantly.
Yeah, I was wondering if the seam on the coolant bottle serves as the MIN line... does yours not have an obvious line either?

I haven't had a high coolant temp indication and it always seems to be a mid-range temp, however I have become skeptical of this dealer lately and feel as if they neglected to top off the coolant when they should have.

·
Super Moderator
172 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering if the seam on the coolant bottle serves as the MIN line... does yours not have an obvious line either?
No, mine does not have a line for the MIN level.

Here's a picture of my coolant bottle approximately 15 minutes after a 10 mile drive, it was virtually the same immediately after the drive:

This picture was taken right after the first one, after I removed the cap, you can see how much the level rose:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, mine does not have a line for the MIN level.

Here's a picture of my coolant bottle approximately 15 minutes after a 10 mile drive, it was virtually the same immediately after the drive:

This picture was taken right after the first one, after I removed the cap, you can see how much the level rose:
Oh wow the high pressure in the bottle must be keeping the level down when the cap is on.

It looks like both our vehicles have about the same amount then. Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,
Overfilled oil is not good, but not too bad. Don't think about that.
Just always keep the level above the MIN.

It's better to add the coolant. The coolant type must meet FCA Material Standard MS.90032.

Good luck!
Don't mix coolant "colors" either! If it's yellow, add yellow. If it's red, add red coolant. Do not mix, just to fill it

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I agree your circumstance is unusual. If a shop was trying to cheat a customer I'd expect a short fill on the oil. With these Tigershark engines the oil level will probably come down soon enough. Maybe the dealer is trying to compensate. Overfilling oil is not good, but that little bit isn't a serious problem.

As for the coolant, if it was me I'd just add a little water. Dilluting it too much would diminish its effectiveness, but a pint shouldn't matter. If the coolant level keeps on going down then don't keep adding water. A continual drop in the coolant level would mean you have a problem that should be addressed.
So I checked my oil about 500 miles since my last change at my dealer and my Compass was overfilled by about 1/2 quart. I checked last night after a 200 mile trip and it looked a little high on the stick but a considered it might just be residual oil on the dipstick and that I wasn't getting a clean reading. I checked again this morning after it sat all night and it was almost up to the bump in the dipstick. So maybe there is an officially denied memo to nudge up the oil level a tad to cut down on customer complaints about oil consumption?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I checked my oil about 500 miles since my last change at my dealer and my Compass was overfilled by about 1/2 quart. I checked last night after a 200 mile trip and it looked a little high on the stick but a considered it might just be residual oil on the dipstick and that I wasn't getting a clean reading. I checked again this morning after it sat all night and it was almost up to the bump in the dipstick. So maybe there is an officially denied memo to nudge up the oil level a tad to cut down on customer complaints about oil consumption?
Interesting, makes sense that they might be unofficially overfilling everyone's oil by a bit to compensate for the rampant excessive oil consumption that most compasses seem to experience. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts