My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just registered. I'm wondering if any of you can help me with this?
I have a 2011 compass and wondering if anyone else experiences this phenomenon. All factors being equal, correct tire pressure, using gas from the same station each time, no extra cargo, alignment okay, no A/C, etc. I get about 26-27 MPG in the city (freeway and city streets). But, when I've traveled from Orlando, FL to Savannah, GA the past 3 times my fuel mileage goes down, that's right goes down, to 24-25 MPG. The dealer can't find any codes in the computer or any malfunctioning parts. I've never owned a vehicle that gets lower MPG on the highway than in the city. Has anyone else experienced this or can tell me what might be affecting the highway MPG like this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My best hwy is 30MPG Canadian Gallons so thats about the same. You did net detail your power train or millage etc which may be a factor. Head winds are the major hwy factor and/or hilly terrain. These vehicles are not that good considering the weight, engine displacement etc. My big old GC below get 25+ on the highway withing 2MPG in much bigger SUV.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How fast are you travelling? I found that the best mpg happens around 50mph - 60mph.
Anything above that the mileage drops off fast!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am doing 110-120Km/hr which is on the 401. Anything slower and its very bad on that hwy. Transports are passing you one after the other amongst everything else. Most know what I mean. Its unnerving to endure a endless flow of transports clipping or appearing to clip you as you cruse at the limit. Not an option in my opinion. However the numbers apply to both vehicles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine in highway 21.8MPG (110-120km/h).
In lower speeds (100Km/h) consumption is better (23mpg), but is too slow and boring to go on that speed.

I dont know where jeep find the truck consumption is 28 or 30mpg.... imposible,.... maybe going down and with engine off....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I heard in I believe Market Place or such that in CANADA the manufactures don't do or have to have real world proven test for MPG unlike the USA. They are for one reason or another estimate what you likely to get (guess LOL). A Mitsubishi owner went after them for the same reason. The OEM engineers after going over the vehicle and tuning/replacing everything that might improve it never achieved the advertised MPG. So buy a vehicle in Canada you CANNOT believe what you see on the window. Its not been tested and verified by Canada Transport.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am doing 110-120Km/hr which is on the 401. Anything slower and its very bad on that hwy. Transports are passing you one after the other amongst everything else. Most know what I mean. Its unnerving to endure a endless flow of transports clipping or appearing to clip you as you cruse at the limit. Not an option in my opinion. However the numbers apply to both vehicles.

:canada: I live in a Rural Setting , I'm Retired so it's not a daily commute...My Compass is a 2.0 LT , 2WD Northern Edition..My Combined MPG averages out at 28mpg...It's 2 lane into the City so I keep it at 85/90kph...Now I've been down to the Maritimes with the Compass on several occasions..The Posted speed limit on the TC in New Brunswick is 110kph and 100kph the rest of the way..I set the Cruise at 105kph and only check my mileage after the 1st Tank full has emptied..My mileage heading down East averages out at 34mpg..Considering your destination will take more than one tank to get there, the 2nd tank full your in cruise mode and cruising at a constant speed therefore Better Numbers....Cheers:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just drove from Vancouver BC to Edmonton AB.. My best tank did 538 KM with 45.677 liters of fuel...thats driving pretty much 100-105 KM/H...2012 2.4l....works out to 8.49 LHK...or 27.71 MPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the city the car runs mainly on the battery. When the engine kicks in, it is only for a short time and it shuts off every time you stop for a traffic light. On the road, you are traveling at a higher speed and without many stops, so the engine is running most if not all of the time. Hence lower mpg on the highway.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts