My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Jeep Compass last month and I now have 600 miles on it. I check my oil today on leval groud and noticed the oil was below the low line. I would like to add more oil but do not know if it comes with synthetic or not 5w-20 or if it even matters. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The owner's manual does specifiy 5W20, as the recommeded API rating for weight and viscosity. However, it is NOT synthetic. The original oil in the car from the factory is Mopar. However, when you take it to the dealer for an oil change, they will use Mobile1, NON-synthetic. It is a 50/50 mix, so it blends well with the original oil. Hope this helps. However, did you check it when you bought it? Have you noticed any drips or other signs of leaks? If you have, take it in as soon as you can. If nothing else, something just may be loose. Worst case, you could find something that noone else knows about, and maybe Jeep could do something about it. I checked all my fluids on the dealer's lot, so I knew where I was sitting before I drove it home. Like I said, hope this gives you an idea!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help. Unfortuneatly this was the first time I checked the oil. Looking at the engine bay everything looks clean and no spots where I park so I think I'm OK. I am hoping it just used a little oil breaking in and I'll be fine. I think I will pick up some Mobile1, NON-synthetic tomorrow put in about a half a quart and keep my eye on the level.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That's good. Just keep an eye on it, and you should be ok. BTW, congrats on your new ride. Great choice! Happy driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing the manual mentions is that you wait five minutes after turning off the engine before you check the oil. It should also be checked after the vehicle has warmed up. This may raise your readings a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yes, that is a good way to find out how much oil you actually have in the car, between what is actually in the pan, and what is in the block. I know with the Compass, things do work a bit differently from what I was always told. First, check your engine oil while cold, and your transmission fluid when warm. With this one, I have the CVT II, so there is no checking the fluid. The dealer has to do that with a special tool. Either way, so long as you are checking, you should be fine. Doubt you will burn much now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts