My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my compass about 2 years ago have never really thought it was a particular attractive car in the first place, was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make it more attractive/powerful and any recommendations for aftermarket parts.

For reference I own a 2008 2.4L Fwd Champagne Compass

(I also have a destroyed bumper cover, blinker cover and dented/scratched fender, all on the same side but I'm hopefully buying some replacements from LKQ this weekend.)

EDIT: I was also curious if any 6 cylinder Engines were known to fit the compass or if a turbo is going to blow up my car, also curious about bigger wheels, slightly lifting my car or widening the wheels.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2.4 is not going to willing push a much bigger tire than stock. You can lift and widen for cheap if you only want a small boost in the looks department but your capability bottleneck will still be that 2.4 and FWD. There are no practical meaningful bolt-on power adders for these motors.

Swapping engines is impractical, and even turbo is going to likely cost more to gain less than simply buying a similar condition and age Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'm glad you found us. Just checking, is that a 2008 Compass or a 2018 Compass? Agreed, the early years of the Compass weren't very attractive. The 1st gen Compass improved as the years went by. I'm still undecided on the looks of the 2nd gen Compass, even though I've owned two.

I don't thing you could jam a 6-cyl in a Compass, esp not the 1st gen. That would take so many mods your vehicle would be a mechanical toy and nothing you could actually use. No matter which generation Compass you have the 2.4 is about maxed out. They've exceeded 1hp/cid and NASCAR is only getting 2hp/cid, albeit with larger engines. There's only so much blood you can get from a stone and only so much power you can get from a cubic inch plus a squirt of gasoline. I've seen a couple threads about installing turbos on the Patriot website but I haven't seen any success stories. Usually the thread launches with high hopes and then goes dormant. I haven't looked at the Caliber website. Maybe you'll find something over there.

I disagree with @arudlang on using larger tires, but of course there is a practical limit. I had a 2008 Patriot and I ran 225/75-16s from my Wrangler on it. They fit with a slight rub, but I didn't notice any difference in performance. I just had to remember that the speedometer and odometer were off by maybe 5%. Any bigger you'd probably have to lift it. I suppose smaller tires would give you better acceleration, but only marginally. If you go too small then it will look like it's on roller skates.

These new engines were designed by a room full of engineers with college degrees in physics so I doubt a shade-tree mechanic is going to do better than they did. In many cases the ECM will compensate for any mods you do. If you get into reprogramming it, there will be trade-offs.

If you really want to change the appearance, go with OWL tires and/or get some aftermarket wheels. You could plastidip the logos with a contrast color. There are decal packages all over the internet -- if you're shy about trying that then pay a body shop to customize it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site! I'm glad you found us. Just checking, is that a 2008 Compass or a 2018 Compass? Agreed, the early years of the Compass weren't very attractive. The 1st gen Compass improved as the years went by. I'm still undecided on the looks of the 2nd gen Compass, even though I've owned two.

I don't thing you could jam a 6-cyl in a Compass, esp not the 1st gen. That would take so many mods your vehicle would be a mechanical toy and nothing you could actually use. No matter which generation Compass you have the 2.4 is about maxed out. They've exceeded 1hp/cid and NASCAR is only getting 2hp/cid, albeit with larger engines. There's only so much blood you can get from a stone and only so much power you can get from a cubic inch plus a squirt of gasoline. I've seen a couple threads about installing turbos on the Patriot website but I haven't seen any success stories. Usually the thread launches with high hopes and then goes dormant. I haven't looked at the Caliber website. Maybe you'll find something over there.

I disagree with @arudlang on using larger tires, but of course there is a practical limit. I had a 2008 Patriot and I ran 225/75-16s from my Wrangler on it. They fit with a slight rub, but I didn't notice any difference in performance. I just had to remember that the speedometer and odometer were off by maybe 5%. Any bigger you'd probably have to lift it. I suppose smaller tires would give you better acceleration, but only marginally. If you go too small then it will look like it's on roller skates.

These new engines were designed by a room full of engineers with college degrees in physics so I doubt a shade-tree mechanic is going to do better than they did. In many cases the ECM will compensate for any mods you do. If you get into reprogramming it, there will be trade-offs.

If you really want to change the appearance, go with OWL tires and/or get some aftermarket wheels. You could plastidip the logos with a contrast color. There are decal packages all over the internet -- if you're shy about trying that then pay a body shop to customize it for you.
Thank you for all the advice, this is extremely helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts