My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have difficulty with shifting from first to second and get a bumpy, clunky feeling and sometimes even the feeling that the gears/synchronizers are grinding when you shift?

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the first 1000 miles, and still once in a while at around 4k, it seems really stiff coming in and out of 2nd for me. No bumpy or clunky though. Shifting has become smoother with time, I think that's a bit of me getting used to the gearing (drove a Matrix 5 speed previously), and a bit of break in period. I'd bring it in if you don't feel it's right though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input JoJoJeep. I brought it in to the dealer before and they said everything looked ok and said nothing was wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my Compass since March (41,000km) and intermittently refuses to shift into reverse with a light touch. All other gears are quite smooth. I had the dealer check it out on it's second scheduled visit and they said it's because of the straight cut gears. They will sometimes hang up a little trying to mesh. But it's not a constant problem and with a quick shift seldom bothers me at all now. Maybe it's breaking in too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I encounter reverse lock-out from time to time in my TR6.
Reverse is not synchronized like the forward running gears.
I find that re-clutching, clearing the gearbox by shifting the selector to first and then reverse with clutch engaged and trying again works, allowing time for the tranny to line up. Of course make sure you are completely stopped. Not rolling.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i2canoe said:
I encounter reverse lock-out from time to time in my TR6.
Reverse is not synchronized like the forward running gears.
I find that re-clutching, clearing the gearbox by shifting the selector to first and then reverse with clutch engaged and trying again works, allowing time for the tranny to line up. Of course make sure you are completely stopped. Not rolling.
I had a 5 speed in my Neon and this is the exactly the same thing I heard then. The forward geers (1-5) are syncronized, reverse is not. If you're trying to quickly put it into reverse the lock-out sometimes will not have time to catch up. I still find myself having to re-clutch the reverse in cause I tried to shift it in too fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts