My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Because there is often a bandwagon mentality displayed on this forum, of negativity towards this car, I want to make it clear up front that my wife and I are VERY satisfied with the performance and economy of our car. I believe the complainers out there are unreasonably comparing the car to stuff that costs twice as much. Of course, it is not perfect. But, pretty close!

The owners manual mostly talks about changes is shift programming when the Selec-Terrain knob is utilized. I have yet to experience any changes in my brain programming when I turn the dial. Since each mode automatically engages "4x4 Lock" I do not believe there is any difference in the way the 4x4/AWD system is operating. I suspect there may be a slight difference in throttle mapping, but I cannot detect it, the throttle response/mapping is frustratingly un-natural in every mode.

So, what is actually happening?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not believe that is how this 4x4 system works. It's either on or off, and "4x4 Lock" just ensures that it is staying on. Which is why it is called a 4x4, not AWD. Though they are very similar, it is just a computer controlled Part-Time 4x4 system. Not AWD where power can be directed to one wheel in specific.

·
Administrator
2,197 Posts
Maybe this link will be helpful: Jeep® Frequently Asked Questions and Glossary of Terms Quoting from that page, "The different settings offered from Selec-Terrain® are designed for specific terrains or conditions. Each setting will optimize the vehicle’s systems for that terrain. Switching between settings is easy using the rotary knob. A variety of settings deliver ultimate driving stability by coordinating vehicle systems, including throttle control, transmission shifting, transfer case, traction control and Electronic Stability Control."

·
Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
33 Posts
The different modes change the throttle response and how aggressively the traction control brakes wheels to throw the power to the corners.

The system is 2WD in normal use and only throws power to the back when it detects slippage.

It can throw power to each corner, but again only when slippage occurs and by using the traction control/brakes to block the spinning wheel.

4x4 Lock does no engage the rear full time. It just engaged the rear prop shaft which is not connected in Auto mode. So there is a lag to throw power to the rear if in Auto mode. But less lag when 4x4 lock is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts