My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the Charger master light switch mod tonite @ work (nice thing aboout working 3rd shift). Was one of the simplest mods I hav every done. I hav talked to someone at work that has a Caliber and he presses the wrong window all the time and was thinking of doin it too (modding can be contagious).
I feel it is a worthwhile mod, just something to make life easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I did the Charger master light switch mod tonite @ work (nice thing aboout working 3rd shift). Was one of the simplest mods I hav every done. I hav talked to someone at work that has a Caliber and he presses the wrong window all the time and was thinking of doin it too (modding can be contagious).
I feel it is a worthwhile mod, just something to make life easier.
That looks like the stock Calibre switch assemble. I looked into that solution a while back and should have been on the Compass. I thought my switch was defective with only the one LED lit on, but no by design real dumb. You have to fumble in the dark.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tripplec-the company saved money by not including lights on the calibers & compass. If u think about it as a couple of cents per switch over the whole production it equals a lot of dollars. The one on the left is stock and right is the charger switch. I like it and no more fumbling at nite.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
tripplec-the company saved money by not including lights on the calibers & compass. If u think about it as a couple of cents per switch over the whole production it equals a lot of dollars. The one on the left is stock and right is the charger switch. I like it and no more fumbling at nite.
That is the biggest crock I've heard.

They could strip the care down washers, light bults, spare tires as to save money but would you buy it with parts missing as in this case the LED windows are in the switches just no LED's in behind them and these swich assemblies are used in more on one vehicle so having different assembly lines to build them and stock two parts in inventory saves money.

No wonder the front ends are falling apart overnight. They didn't put grease in the sealed tie rods or ball joint so you just replace them every 30k and tires twice as offten because of uneven wear due to the cheap front end.

In reality this is NOT a JEEP. Its a Fiat car they put the name on and contains veritually all the same parts as the Calibre and Patriot as well as a few other models sharing the same front end components and power train. The body and Label is superfiscial.

So far I've had to replace most of the power train and enough electronics
- all 4 spring/struts, that front and back
- 3 TIPIM's
- front output shaft with CV joint
- CVT transmission
- Gas tank
- dash or instrument cluster 3 times

Many other repairs. Fortunately all under warranty. Why cheaply made, poor quality and durability is Zero. So a couple of LED's offsets this expense to them. I don't think so. It's far cheaper for them to build it right and not cut back where its important and where its obvious. Maybe your next car won't have its dash back lit, only the speedometer, thats all you need and they saved money no putting in all the extra back lighting and in your stereo since you shouldn't fiddle with it at night anyway. Focus on driving so those lights save them money.

OMG I doubt anyone buys into that ancient agruement. Not really one since its cut and dry.

I keep on top of it and if it sneezes the wrong way I pickup on it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Noticed the other night that all the lights work on this part in my 2011, maybe an improvement of the 2011/12 model

Tripplec, your 09 Compass wasn't a Fiat vehicle yet; they didn't even start buying in until 2009, but the design and manufacturing influence is on the 2011 model onwards, and is a bug step forward. Fiat are the reason the Grand Cherokee is the best car Jeep have ever built, definitely not the reason your suspension is sub-par! :think:

Out of interest, why don't you swap out of your Compass? It sounds like you've obviously had a lot of trouble with it compared to your Cherokee, maybe you were unlucky and got a lemon? (No offense meant, just curious)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Ron,

Do you have the part number on the new light deck ?

Plus how much work was it to remove the door panel ??

Did you do this on both side ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts