My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from cold air intake, has anyone successfully added horsepower to their 2019+ Compass? I'm finding acceleration at speed (ie highway) to be really underwhelming and want to fix it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unfortunately most people haven't done much to theirs performance wise. There are a few things out there, but it's not going to make a huge difference; overall, the engine has decent power, it's just way up in the RPMs that most people never see it. Probably the best thing right now is a pedal commander; it improves the throttle response and helps eliminate the lag.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Welcome maladuir! Glad you found us. :)

As for your question, the answer may not be what you're looking for. These things and (most other contemporary vehicles) were designed for max fuel efficiency to meet CAFE standards. The 9-spd tranny also means these vehicles spend a lot of time shifting gears and that is time & power lost along the way.

Most of what you may do to improve HP will only be an exercise in self-deception. The ECM is going to override it. FCA has a room full of engineers working on the power/economy ratio. I doubt you or I are going to come up with any kind of simple fix. That said, if you attach some gizmo then go out and stomp on the gas pedal and drive like a wild man, sure, you'll have more power . . . but don't forget the first sentence in this paragraph.

Again, welcome! I hope you find a way to enjoy your Compass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The issue is the transmission. I have the same engine with a 6 speed manual. In 5th gear you get good highway acceleration if you need to pass. 4th if you want to do something quickly. The 6 speed auto in the 4x2 is better than the 9 speed auto in the 4x4. The 9 speed hunts and guesses and staying in higher gears that you want to give you slow acceleration but good fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
eric is right about the tranny. I've had two 2nd gen Compasses with the ZF 9-spd. My 2018 did a lot of gear hunting; my 2019 is better. At least they get excellent fuel economy. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will say, I have the 6apd manual in my 2018 and it has plenty of power when I need it. Given, I do have to ride out the RPMs to get there, but it is there

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Most of what you may do to improve HP will only be an exercise in self-deception.
That sums it up really well. This four cylinder is making tremendous power for its overall displacement and being a SOHC. The engineers have not left any easy/free power sitting on the table, the days of making any meaningful gains from an aftermarket air filter or exhaust are long gone. Air filter + exhaust will make it louder which will make it feel faster, but it won't actually be any quicker.

The transmission programming is costing a lot of the perceived performance on the 9 speed models. I have high hopes that we will get into tuning one day and be able to make better use of the power that is there, but adding much more power is pretty unlikely and unrealistic, sad to say.

You can always swap out for a V6 Cherokee. Those are highly motivated highway movers and straight up better cars in every way except looks/aesthetics. More expensive too but you get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
It might come close to abuse but you could use the autostick to force it to stay in the lower gears so the RPMs can make better use of the power curve.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
you could use the autostick to force it to stay in the lower gears
That helps but it still shifts far too slowly in autostick mode a lot of the time. Asking it to shift kicks off a 1.76 second process of it cutting engine power, gently changing gears (some of which take forever like the 4-5 shift), and then finally it brings the injectors and ignition back and gets going but if your mind is going in turbo-ADHD mode that day it feels like an eternity, and it is for sure long enough to "feel" the car lose its forward momentum for that moment.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I passed a truck on my way to work this morning. I've got no complaints. My Compass dropped enough gears to put out all the power I needed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I passed a truck on my way to work this morning.
A (singular) truck? Everybody drives a little differently but I perceive that passing on a 2-lane is a much, much more common occurrence for me than for yourself. Just a guess.

I've got no complaints.
I do. I have many, many complaints and the fact that we keep getting threads like this indicates others have complaints as well. You are the odd one out here 😋

My Compass dropped enough gears to put out all the power I needed.
If I step on my pedal I can make an entire sandwich in the time absolute eternity it takes this car to find its way down to a lower gear, and then I can eat the entire sandwich before I ever get up to an appropriate passing speed and get around the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Eric hit the nail on the head. The transmission is your problem. My 6spd manual, I have no problems merging onto the interstate at 70+MPH, passing Semi's when needed, etc. It's definitely no race horse, but it can move along enough for normal and even slightly aggressive driving. Increasing horsepower won't help the trans lag any, and might even make it worst.

Reactions: H20DOG

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
A (singular) truck? Everybody drives a little differently but I perceive that passing on a 2-lane is a much, much more common occurrence for me than for yourself. Just a guess.
I was on a state highway locally known as death valley. General flow of traffic is about speed limit +10. Usually I'm the one being passed. The truck I passed was pulling a wood splitter so keeping his speed down. There was oncoming traffic so I had to make haste and my Compass made an appropriate response. Not as fast as my old Grand Prix, but this engine is not even 2/3 the size of the engine in the Grand Prix. I think I got a better than 2/3 response compared to the Pontiac, but in an actual race the smart money would be on the Pontiac.

I do. I have many, many complaints and the fact that we keep getting threads like this indicates others have complaints as well. You are the odd one out here 😋
Do people think they're buying a sports car? The Compass is middle of the pack when it comes to acceleration.

If I step on my pedal I can make an entire sandwich in the time absolute eternity it takes this car to find its way down to a lower gear, and then I can eat the entire sandwich before I ever get up to an appropriate passing speed and get around the car.
I do not have that problem. :p back atcha. The only lag I notice is engine-braking. I coubt I could make a sandwich in the time it takes to get from 5 to 4, but I could certainly take a bite out of one.

PS, Yours is a 2018? Mine is a 2019. I wonder if the 2019 had some updated software? As I said above, my 2018 did a lot of gear-hunting on the hills. My 2019 not so much. That possible update may be reflected in mine being a little snappier on the downshift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aside from cold air intake, has anyone successfully added horsepower to their 2019+ Compass? I'm finding acceleration at speed (ie highway) to be really underwhelming and want to fix it.
Nothings gonna add power with the way the engine and trans is designed. I came close to changing out the throttle body but glad i didn't. You want power? It's actually there but kind of hidden. Just go to manual shifting after auto takes you to 20mph and stay in the range of 3rd gear to 5 gear. don't shift until at 4000 but don't go over 4500 (winds a little) and when slowing down to a stop or a turn just slap it over to the right for auto. When you power shift for speed in manual you'll be glad you didn't waste money on aftermarket gimmicks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PS, Yours is a 2018? Mine is a 2019. I wonder if the 2019 had some updated software? As I said above, my 2018 did a lot of gear-hunting on the hills. My 2019 not so much. That possible update may be reflected in mine being a little snappier on the downshift.
I have a 2018 and just had the software updated. Part on the update is obviously staying in gears longer when accelerating. My wife doesn't like it because it is a little noisier with the higher RPMs, but I like the quicker responding acceleration. Also the gear hopping has almost disappeared. So perhaps @arudlang should look at a software upgrade?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
PS, Yours is a 2018?
perhaps @arudlang should look at a software upgrade?
Mine is a very early 2017.5 model. I have asked the dealer before if there are any updates for the TCM but they always pretend to click around for 11 seconds and then say "nope, no updates". No big deal, taking matters into my own hands. A few hours ago I invested in HP Tuners and either going to 1) take a stab at learning TCM programming or 2) Pay Chris at player3.ca tuning as he has done successful tunes for the ZF9 in Cherokees before. One way or another I will wrastle this thing into using its power properly without me having to do autostick all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Compass
6 Posts
Other than painfully slow wind-up to start, I agree the power is all there at the higher rpms. I do have a manual...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine is a very early 2017.5 model. I have asked the dealer before if there are any updates for the TCM but they always pretend to click around for 11 seconds and then say "nope, no updates". No big deal, taking matters into my own hands. A few hours ago I invested in HP Tuners and either going to 1) take a stab at learning TCM programming or 2) Pay Chris at player3.ca tuning as he has done successful tunes for the ZF9 in Cherokees before. One way or another I will wrastle this thing into using its power properly without me having to do autostick all the time.
Good luck! I definitely think a good tune will help wonders on these vehicles.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will be following the progress you get with tune . Keep us in the loop , would also like to get a bit of extra too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts