My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new user here, 2011 jeep compass north edition, it's my girlfriends actually.
Bit of context, halfway through a 5 hour drive stopped for a pitstop and when we were back in the highway, car started shaking, a but like there was an alignment problem, off the highway we go. Check tires, etc... nothing weird but exhaust is shaking and sputtering, check engine light appears. Now we are 2.5 hours from home at highway speeds, taking back roads to avoid highway speeds, down in power, has pedal seems to do nothing, new top speed was 70 mph, by the time we got home 40kph. Hot smell, almost like welded metal, exhaust still sputtering, down on power.
Crawl home.

The codes:
Put a basic obd2 reader and got the following
P0456 (that wasnt new, been there for a while.)
Po303 (cylinder 3 misfire)
Po131 (o2 sensor)
Po300 (not firing on all cylinders)
Po303pd (pd means pending i think)
Po300pd
Po131 pd
Po303pe (no clue what pe is)
Po131pe

The fixes so far.
Changed all spark plugs, 2 were jeep plugs, ngf something, and 2 were ACdelco, generally used by GM vehicles.
Nothing cleared. Same codes, no difference. Just new plugs.

Changed o2 sensor, and most recent scan shows:
Po303
Po303pd
Po303pe
Po300pe
So, yay? O2 sensor fixed?

Still have a disgusting cloud of white ish smoke and super low on power, engine shaking and sputtering exhaust too. Car stalled on driveway when going from D to R on trans, restarted and parked it back.

My next step:
I'm thinking, switch out ignition coil 3 with another cylinder thats firing and see if the error code follows faulty coil. (If it is the coil)
At the same time, put a multimeter on the wiring harness to see if i get my voltage.

Now. We are all up to speed, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if it is a dreaded vacuum leak. In which case, wouldn't it affect more than 1 cylinder? And furthermore, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, i do my brakes, oil changes, and snow tires myself (Canada eh).
But I dont hear any hissing sounds indicating a vacuum leak, and there was a fair enough of smoke pouring out from the bank 1 sensor 1 (o2 sensor) before i changed it, didnt see the smoke getting sucked in anywhere...(still have that hot chemical exhaust smell too) and by the way, still getting a fair amount of heat and smoke (less than before, but still)in the area of o2 sensor. Old sensor was black, i dont want to damage and gunk up my new one, so minimizing my running time as much as possible here

Is my next step logical, what if it's a vacuum leak, do I just bring it into a shop and change intake manifold gasket, vacuum hoses.
Jeep has around 180k kms.
Any tips will really help me folks, and hell, if anyone has any theories on the cause too, I'd love to hear it.

Apologies for going on, just wanna make sure you have all the details.

Take care and stay safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*edit*I wrote 70mph at the top. Supposed to be kph. Has pedal, is meant to be gas pedal. (Pedal was floored, did nothing as far as accelerating the car)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you check the Coolingfluid? What die the Temperatur? The white smoke and the chemikal smell sounds like a bad Haedgasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temperature was smack in the middle where it always is, coolant was fine. I should've clarified the white smoke was likely amplified by the fact aht yesterday was very damp and wet, and cold. Round 5 degrees C.
Level in expansion tank was fine, slightly below the cold full mark, but not noticeably so, like wow. Where did my coolant go. (again, parked outside and it's still chilly).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts