My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am thinking about "Projecar" bars from Brasil.
Price is about 150USD on ebay.
Those look nice and low-profile. I would just make sure they can hold around 150 lbs or so (dynamic weight capacity of the Compass). Other than that, they look clean! :super:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Little bump, I found these today on amazon and bought them. They look promising from the review pics and have a 165lb weight capacity, look like a nice alternative at $99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGFG7JD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Keep us updated with pics and opinion after install. I was just looking at some and would consider the less expensive version if it works. Don't want to worry about a cargo box falling off the roof of through the panoramic glass while driving!

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
You need to get the stubby antenna for the fiat 500x. I got it so nothing rubs.
Do you have a part number for this? Also, can you order it from a Jeep Dealer or do you have to find a Fiat dealer? I was looking at the shark fin for the Compass, but I don't know if it will mess up my satellite radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Little bump, I found these today on amazon and bought them. They look promising from the review pics and have a 165lb weight capacity, look like a nice alternative at $99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGFG7JD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I purchased a set similar to those off Amazon last summer. They were a GREAT alternative to the overpriced options out there. I needed a set that was high enough not to interfere with the sunroof, and wide enough to hold my two kayaks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FK3R8L4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
30 Posts

I bought the Brightline crossbars recently and was debating on whether to post a review. For the price, I couldn't pass up giving them a shot and figured that I could always return them if the bars were terrible. They weren't terrible. I can post a few pics shortly, but I need to move them to my PC first (my phone doesn't like this site for some reason).

The good: They're decently made. Solid. No plastic aside from a couple of trim caps. Cast aluminum mounts and extruded aluminum bar. Hard rubber top strip to keep vibrations down and prevent scratching. I just had two mountain bike racks on mine over the weekend and they did a great job holding everything in place at 75MPH as I drove an hour to the park. They mount directly to the factory screw holes. No modifications needed.

The bad:

1) They whistle. This may be a fixable problem with a bit of debugging, but these are the noisiest crossbars I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few on different cars and SUV's). The bars have a number of screw holes for mounting and adjustments, and I suspect that these holes just need some sort of cover.

2) The screw mounts use adapter plates to connect the bars to the factory rails, and these plates don't fit the bars all that well. No idea why they did this, as the design seems to be specific to the Compass and they COULD have just drilled holes in the mount and avoided the adapters entirely. These plates are a pain to use and make it difficult to get everything aligned properly. Putting these on required 15-20 minutes of work and a small stepladder. If you're looking for bars that can be added and removed quickly, these aren't a great choice. If you're planning on leaving them on, this shouldn't be a problem.

Overall, I actually do like these bars and will not be returning them. They do their job, look great, and are rock solid. I'm planning on taping all of the gaps on mine within the next few weeks to isolate the whistle(s), and will see what I can do to eliminate that annoyance. It's worth the effort for the cost savings. These things are pretty unbeatable for the price.

Edit: In the fourth photo of the bar on the floor, you can see what I meant about the mounting plates. For some reason they punched giant square holes into the bottom of the mount. There are small square plates that fit into these holes, and those plates have the mounting screw holes drilled through them. You have to align both the bar and the plates to get everything to cinch down properly. I really don't understand why they didn't just drill regular holes in that spot and leave the adapter plates out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
nice review, I think they will do. Thank you

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thought I'd give an update. Just came back from a camping trip, the brightlines cross bars held up just fine and coupled with my old Apex roof rack that I ended up reusing from my jeep patriot. I wasnt anywhere close to seeing the max weight but plugging down the highway no issues with speed or cross winds

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like that the brightline ones preserve the look of the roof rails from the outside. That was the whole reason I ended up whipping up my own. Well, that and cost, but I did not want the "clamp" look on my rails since ours have the chrome insert and it looks really nice from a side profile view.

For anyone who comes researching later, I did put my money where my mouth was and built my own rack: https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/2nd-gen-jeep-compass-photos-videos/43217-2nd-gen-homemade-roof-rack-hardware-thule-cargo-box.html

It was about as cheap and easy as I expected, but if I were doing it all over again I think for ~$100 the brightline ones would be the way to go. I would not fork over upwards of $300 for thule/mopar ones that wreck my roof-line but $100 for something nice looking and sturdy makes sense to me. By the time I get back to painting my homemade kit I'll have more than $100 worth of my time into it, thats for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone try the other style cross bars on ebay ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2017-2018-Jeep-Compass-Aluminum-Roof-Top-Cross-Bar-Roof-Rack-Black/112987314149?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=15cbca0baebb4e6aa3bb15b6484dc550&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=172851329373&itm=112987314149&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Old post but I can respond about these. I installed last month and like them. Great price, solid build, easy install, low profile. Looks real good on the Jeep. Only slight negative is that you can hear a bit of wind noise which is to be expected I think. I did replace the hand tighteners with hardware to improve security.

Baja-D

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have the same set and you have them on backwards. I know the arrows are pointing correctly to the back but if you flip them around you won't notice any noise.

Anyone try the other style cross bars on ebay ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2017-2018-Jeep-Compass-Aluminum-Roof-Top-Cross-Bar-Roof-Rack-Black/112987314149?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=15cbca0baebb4e6aa3bb15b6484dc550&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=172851329373&itm=112987314149&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Old post but I can respond about these. I installed last month and like them. Great price, solid build, easy install, low profile. Looks real good on the Jeep. Only slight negative is that you can hear a bit of wind noise which is to be expected I think. I did replace the hand tighteners with hardware to improve security.

Baja-D

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I have the same set and you have them on backwards. I know the arrows are pointing correctly to the back but if you flip them around you won't notice any noise.

Thanks...I have already turned them around. When I took the picture I was testing to see if reversed reduced the noise any. No real change that I could detect.

Baja-D

·
Registered
84 Posts

Thanks...I have already turned them around. When I took the picture I was testing to see if reversed reduced the noise any. No real change that I could detect.

Baja-D
The "by themselves" noise is not bad but I still decided to just take them off and only use when needed....very easy to install with the bolts and factory rails. I added an ebay basket and use it for camping gear like tents, chairs and easy ups. Even though it is hard plastic it feels very solid and secure. For both I have about $150 invested which fits my budget.

Baja-D

Edit Update: FYI...the factory rails have two locations in the back to install the rear rack. Mine are furthest back (picture in post 31).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts