My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing that most new cars don't come with spare tires anymore. I see that the spare tire kit is back ordered by most online retailers and at the tune of $250-$300 to boot. I bit the bullet and put an order in, I don't trust the pump and sealant my new Jeep came with and rather not get towed

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yet another reason to get the tow package right out of the gate, when originally tow-equipped they also come with the full size spare too :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This I didnt know, I've always been use to spares coming with the vehicle's. My 2013 patriot and my wifes 2011 compass both had spare tires

Yet another reason to get the tow package right out of the gate, when originally tow-equipped they also come with the full size spare too :)
Trailhawks get a full size spare as part of the trim as well!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thinking out loud with the full sized spare can you still drop the cargo tray all the way down or there's not enough room ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
zsc1991, is correct the full spare takes up the room for the cargo tray to be lowered. Someone posted about flipping the full size spare over giving you more storage but I have not looked at it to see how that works with the jack and stuff. I know I have some room under there to store a few things with the spare this is where my recovery strap lives out the way till needed. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got mine in from backorder, to my surprise it wasn't a compact spare but a full size spare in the kit

My order still delayed 12/3/2018, original order date 10/12.

Edit: Requested a refund, delivery keeps getting delayed. 12/10/18

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good deal on spare, smart.

I did the tire flip/ mod the wing nut on my trailhawk. It does allow for more storage. Simple and effective. The jack is on the side. This allows me to store stuff in the wheel well. I got molding foam stuff from hobby lobby and have a take down AR pistol and 3 mags in wheel. Its neat because it doesnt bounce around due to wheel mount and foam and sealed in metal rim. Also out of site but easily accessible.

You can do more with the space on the driver side if you got foam as the jack is on right. I have tourniquets and other first aid stuff.

If that's not your thing you could make anything that you like obviously... but ts effective use of limited space.

Oh, one other thing, I put a piece of 1/4 thick by 2" wide across top of wheel to displace weight of cargo in trunk so it doesnt crush weapon.

'Merica,
George

·
Registered
51 Posts

I did the tire flip/ mod the wing nut on my trailhawk. It does allow for more storage. Simple and effective. The jack is on the side. This allows me to store stuff in the wheel well. I got molding foam stuff from hobby lobby and have a take down AR pistol and 3 mags in wheel. Its neat because it doesnt bounce around due to wheel mount and foam and sealed in metal rim. Also out of site but easily accessible.

You can do more with the space on the driver side if you got foam as the jack is on right. I have tourniquets and other first aid stuff.

If that's not your thing you could make anything that you like obviously... but ts effective use of limited space.

Oh, one other thing, I put a piece of 1/4 thick by 2" wide across top of wheel to displace weight of cargo in trunk so it doesnt crush weapon.

'Merica,
George
Pics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eibeyer - Try not to get a flat while waiting for the Spare Tire Kit. I ordered mine in June through the dealer, and even getting Jeep Customer Care involved, and even with trying to frequently "stay on top" of my order, I did not receive the spare tire + jack until December. As previously noted, the kit does come with a full-size spare on a steel rim (same Firestone OEM tire that is already on my Latitude.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put my factory 18" wheel in as a spare. I was able to use the bolt and washer from the tire repair kit to secure it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts

'Merica,
George
Gun pics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gun pics.[/QUOTE]

I changed some things around as a result of boredom and tinkering in garage... I think I am going to put a on board air system for deflating/ inflating tires when I go to beach and pumping up pool toys... you know, important stuff. I think it would be best under tire, so I flipped it around again.

I modified the factory plastic surrounding the spare, cut up some extra weightlifting foam floor pads from the gym at the house, and made form to keep stuff in place.

By modify I mean cut stuff up with a hacksaw blade... not rocket science.

But it's fun. I have a little rifle, 90 rounds, tourniquet, pressure dressing, and then all the full spare, jack, and needed tools. The on board air will be fun.

Give me good ideas!

Merica'
-George

I'll start a thread and see what people think. Maybe someone has a better idea. Pictures in new thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts