My Jeep Compass Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Don't give me too much credit, I'm just a random guy on the internet talking like I really know stuff 😉 But hopefully you have been able to do your own research to add to what you already know and come to your own conclusions.

I think you will be fine since the car is still well under warranty. Its probably only had like one, maybe two oil changes at this point? Probably at the dealership where they have it documented which is good. If you are planning to unload it at the end of the lease just get it all cleaned up as nice as you can and make sure the oil is topped off before they take it back, and you will likely never hear anything about it again. They will do an inspection and if they accept it then pretty much good to go and any intermittent issues will become the next person's problem but plenty of warranty miles left they can bill everything to FCA.

My lease is coming due too at the end of this summer but for all its faults I think I'm going to buy mine out. I know sometimes I've talked like I would dump it at the end of the lease but even with its flaws its still the nicest most comfortable car I've ever owned and at this point it feels like "better the devil you know" because I would be too tempted to buy another Jeep product and then I'd be rolling the dice again 🤷‍♂️ Jeep styling and branding is just so on-point, I feel like I'm sucked into that Jeep lifestyle persona now, even if the Compass is somewhat of a poser. It is but it isn't. Its complicated. I always struggle when someone asks me if I would recommend it. It really depends on what your needs and wants are out of a car because it really shines in some areas and comes up short in others.

I have 47k on mine now, many thousands of miles of adventuring and fun (and also many thousands of miles of slow lumbering on the interstate wishing for more power...). I don't know what kind of money pit its going to turn into but if I throw down a massive payment on a short-term loan I figure I can get to a position where I can afford to keep up with the maintenance, and it will continue to be my poor-mans range rover 🤞

If somebody rear ends me and totals it out tomorrow I would get another one, but I possibly would go with the trailhawk this time just for the exterior styling and the lower final drive ratio to help out on the interstate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't give me too much credit, I'm just a random guy on the internet talking like I really know stuff 😉 But hopefully you have been able to do your own research to add to what you already know and come to your own conclusions.

I think you will be fine since the car is still well under warranty. Its probably only had like one, maybe two oil changes at this point? Probably at the dealership where they have it documented which is good. If you are planning to unload it at the end of the lease just get it all cleaned up as nice as you can and make sure the oil is topped off before they take it back, and you will likely never hear anything about it again. They will do an inspection and if they accept it then pretty much good to go and any intermittent issues will become the next person's problem but plenty of warranty miles left they can bill everything to FCA.

My lease is coming due too at the end of this summer but for all its faults I think I'm going to buy mine out. I know sometimes I've talked like I would dump it at the end of the lease but even with its flaws its still the nicest most comfortable car I've ever owned and at this point it feels like "better the devil you know" because I would be too tempted to buy another Jeep product and then I'd be rolling the dice again 🤷‍♂️ Jeep styling and branding is just so on-point, I feel like I'm sucked into that Jeep lifestyle persona now, even if the Compass is somewhat of a poser. It is but it isn't. Its complicated. I always struggle when someone asks me if I would recommend it. It really depends on what your needs and wants are out of a car because it really shines in some areas and comes up short in others.

I have 47k on mine now, many thousands of miles of adventuring and fun (and also many thousands of miles of slow lumbering on the interstate wishing for more power...). I don't know what kind of money pit its going to turn into but if I throw down a massive payment on a short-term loan I figure I can get to a position where I can afford to keep up with the maintenance, and it will continue to be my poor-mans range rover 🤞

If somebody rear ends me and totals it out tomorrow I would get another one, but I possibly would go with the trailhawk this time just for the exterior styling and the lower final drive ratio to help out on the interstate.
HA! well for what it's worth I appreciate it and i have learnt more through this website in the week I've been researching and asking questions, then i had found out throughout the entire service history at the dealership. I guess I'm learning but it for sure is frustrating and I hate making mistakes. However on the other hand I can't beat myself up too bad.... I can't know what I don't know. I do have about 10 months left on the lease and with everything going on and not driving it, it just bothers me that I'm paying each month for a driveway ornament! I am going to try and ask other dealerships about a buyout and any incentives to get into a new vehicle. If my estimations are correct, the dealership buyout price should be almost on par with value so hopefully it would work in my favor. My insanely low miles is a plus and it's in pretty damn great shape interior/exterior.
UGH this whole thing is what makes me love my '77 z28 camaro more and more every day because at least i know where my problems are and there are no computers!! haha :LOL:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Yep, so glad I got rid of it at 12k miles, new owner who has had it for the last 2 1/2 years has been burning the midnight oil and has almost 70k miles on it and continues to have problems. I get there health reports all the time with check engine lights, low oil pressure etc. I hope they are enjoying their lemon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, so glad I got rid of it at 12k miles, new owner who has had it for the last 2 1/2 years has been burning the midnight oil and has almost 70k miles on it and continues to have problems. I get there health reports all the time with check engine lights, low oil pressure etc. I hope they are enjoying their lemon.
View attachment 13863

View attachment 13864
I'm nearing the 12k mile mark myself with only 11,6xx on it and its lease is up in 8 months. Did you lease or own it? Do you find it's better to take an initial loss right now to get a dealership (FCA or non brand) to buy the lease out or a third-party to buy it and cut my losses early? Or to ride out the remainder of the lease and pay for a driveway ornament that won't move?

·
Super Moderator
1,203 Posts
I'm nearing the 12k mile mark myself with only 11,6xx on it and its lease is up in 8 months. Did you lease or own it? Do you find it's better to take an initial loss right now to get a dealership (FCA or non brand) to buy the lease out or a third-party to buy it and cut my losses early? Or to ride out the remainder of the lease and pay for a driveway ornament that won't move?
Keep it in perspective. If the oil is the only issue and you're doing better than 2000 miles/quart, then just add oil as needed. If you're only keeping it till the end of the lease then you're only going to use another couple quarts. What's that gonna cost? Maybe $50? I'd just put up with it. Lousy engine? Yes. Worth taking a bath on the trade-in/buy-out? Probably not.

If you go to a dealer they're going to wonder why you want out this early. Any dealer worth their salt knows some of these are oil burners -- they'll figure you've got issues whether you tell them or not. Then again, if you see a dealer offering a really sweet deal on your dream car, that's when you say, "I just love that purple Zipmobile at the front of your lot. I've still got 8 months on my lease. Can you help me?" They'll find a way to make a deal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I leased mine. The loss was only $1,100 US for me at the time and it was total peace of mind knowing I wasn't checking the oil every other day to drive it. The other great thing was I didn't have to deal with the electrical issues that constantly stranded me. I got out of the lease about 12 months early. If you have similar issues as I did you would be best to dump it for a small financial penalty and run as fast as you can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I leased mine. The loss was only $1,100 US for me at the time and it was total peace of mind knowing I wasn't checking the oil every other day to drive it. The other great thing was I didn't have to deal with the electrical issues that constantly stranded me. I got out of the lease about 12 months early. If you have similar issues as I did you would be best to dump it for a small financial penalty and run as fast as you can.
Thanks Mike for your feedback on your experience! Would you mind explaining how you went about getting out of it (i.e. private sale/dealership buyout?) and how it worked with remaining payments plus fees to terminate early?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thanks Mike for your feedback on your experience! Would you mind explaining how you went about getting out of it (i.e. private sale/dealership buyout?) and how it worked with remaining payments plus fees to terminate early?
I don't come on here that often anymore after dumping my Jeep but I can tell you that I went to my sales guy, he knew the back story. I asked what it would take to get out of the Jeep and he lined me up with another vehicle we wanted and got the early termination buy out for about $1,100. I wasn't on the hook for any payments after that. Your situation may differ but I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone unless they have the time, patience and deep pockets to drive this car/own it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't come on here that often anymore after dumping my Jeep but I can tell you that I went to my sales guy, he knew the back story. I asked what it would take to get out of the Jeep and he lined me up with another vehicle we wanted and got the early termination buy out for about $1,100. I wasn't on the hook for any payments after that. Your situation may differ but I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone unless they have the time, patience and deep pockets to drive this car/own it.
Thank you for your reply!
I actually ended up having Carvana buy out the lease and I also received a check from them for $666 (the irony of this number is not lost on me) as their offer was higher than the value of the car. I recommend this process to anyone especially right now with the rise of values in used cars! Finally had my Chrysler Account closed the beginning of September so now this saga is officially closed :)

·
Super Moderator
1,203 Posts
This problem seems to be more frequent in 2018 and earlier years. My 2018 used a lot of oil. My 2019 does not. Anyone with a 2019 or 2020 have this problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Thank you for your reply!
I actually ended up having Carvana buy out the lease and I also received a check from them for $666 (the irony of this number is not lost on me) as their offer was higher than the value of the car. I recommend this process to anyone especially right now with the rise of values in used cars! Finally had my Chrysler Account closed the beginning of September so now this saga is officially closed :)
Congrats for getting out of this pile of junk. After I paid the difference they wrote me a check a few weeks later for the difference in value as well. It actually paid me more to get out of it which was nice. I can tell you the new owner has about 83k miles on the car and continue to have problems.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts