My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehe... This morning after I washed the Jeep, I decided to inspect the engine mounts. I removed the air filter box to gain a better view of the rear mount.
Using a inspection mirror and a flashlight, I noticed that the rubber is starting to rip. Ah, I guess its time to change the mount. The other mounts are kinda difficult to see without removing something bolted or screwed. My son once owned a Mitsubishi and the mounts went bad after only 3 years. So I guess engine mounts should be considered as maintenance items and should be inspected on a regular basis and replaced as needed. The rear mount works the hardest I believe.

I saw a video on youtube about engine mounts. If its already soft or worn it will become a source of noise and causes energy loss to the driving wheels especially front wheel drive cars. The energy is wasted on "moving" the engine rather than being transferred right away to the wheels. The effect is of course poor takeoff which in turn causes unsatisfactory feel. Not crisp and snappy. I am ordering new mounts asap.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts