My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
  1. 2017 Jeep Compass burning lots of gallons of oil..
Ya just get it? I bet the previous owner sold it for that reason. There's tons of discussion on here about oil consumption by the 2017s and 2018s. I've read a variety of reasons:
1) Tolerances are looser to reduce internal friction in order to increase fuel economy to CAFE standards.
2) Thinner oil for the same reason. 0w-20 is about as thick as water! If it can find a place to escape, it will.
3) Combination of the above
4) Ideally the engines should be built well enough to compensate for the above scenario, but a set of under-sized rings or merely on the small side of spec will create a problem.

I had a 2018 Compass that got <1000/qt the first 10,000 miles and gradually improved to 3000/qt by about 30,000 miles. That vehicle got wrecked and I took my chances on a 2019 Compass and it doesn't use oil at all. At worst its showing down a tad (but still on the high end of the hash marks) between oil changes. My guess is that after a couple years and a couple thousand complaints they got religion and addressed the problem by the time the 2019s rolled around.

As far as my 2018 Compass was concerned I just decided to live with the problem. In the eternal scheme of things, adding a quart every couple thousand miles, while a nuisance, is chump change. So now I've got 2 quarts of oil sitting on my garage shelf that I haven't needed since I got my 2019 the end of June. She's got 17,000 miles now -- no complaints.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Oh, Pattianncook, I am remiss. Welcome to the site! I hope you can cope with the problem and find a way to love your Compass. I liked my 2018 enough to buy a 2019 after the accident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts