• 1" Spacers
• KMC 16" Wheels
• BFG KM3 235/70R16
20200227_122146.jpg
20200227_122244.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks great....I am definitely envious! You put the lift kit and a 1 inch lift...how did you do that?

Reactions: Cmamisano

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ostrander_Hunter said:
How much do the factory tires weight Arudlang? I know the concern is that the little 4 cylinder can't turn them over.
Most are 26-27 pounds depending on your trim and 17 vs 18 inch stock rims, he nearly doubled that ? Goodbye power/acceleration, gas mileage, braking distance, handling. Warranty is probably not going to cover the blown CV joints, short bearing and suspension life, increased wear and tear on the engine and transmission, steering components, etc.

I suspect, though I can't prove it, that in the quest to make it look more "off-roady" it has possibly gone backwards in actual capability. I would bet that if it tried to start from a stop on a 60% grade the ECU would trip the output safety and it would not be able to do it. A stock one on stock TH tires can barely do it, and once you factor in all the extra force needed to turn those heavier tires there just might not be enough left to actually drive up a steep hill (unless you hit it from a running start with lots of momentum, obviously). I'm not certain though, he really didn't go any taller than stock so the starting crawl ratio is not hosed, but there is for certain a huge increase in the energy required to start those tires from a stop...

If I went that drastic with tires on mine I'd be worried I might not be able to pull my 2000 lb boat up out of the boat launch ramp at the lake anymore. You're dedicating so much engine power just to turning big tires and this is not a car with engine power to spare, they engineered it down to the bare minimum newton meters needed to push it around at a reasonable rate with no extra.

It sure looks cool though, can't deny that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great....I am definitely envious! You put the lift kit and a 1 inch lift...how did you do that?
Baja, Its a 1.5" lift kit from Teraflex and 1" wheel spacers. Had a shop here in Naples, Florida install it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most are 26-27 pounds depending on your trim and 17 vs 18 inch stock rims, he nearly doubled that ? Goodbye power/acceleration, gas mileage, braking distance, handling. Warranty is probably not going to cover the blown CV joints, short bearing and suspension life, increased wear and tear on the engine and transmission, steering components, etc.

I suspect, though I can't prove it, that in the quest to make it look more "off-roady" it has possibly gone backwards in actual capability. I would bet that if it tried to start from a stop on a 60% grade the ECU would trip the output safety and it would not be able to do it. A stock one on stock TH tires can barely do it, and once you factor in all the extra force needed to turn those heavier tires there just might not be enough left to actually drive up a steep hill (unless you hit it from a running start with lots of momentum, obviously). I'm not certain though, he really didn't go any taller than stock so the starting crawl ratio is not hosed, but there is for certain a huge increase in the energy required to start those tires from a stop...

If I went that drastic with tires on mine I'd be worried I might not be able to pull my 2000 lb boat up out of the boat launch ramp at the lake anymore. You're dedicating so much engine power just to turning big tires and this is not a car with engine power to spare, they engineered it down to the bare minimum newton meters needed to push it around at a reasonable rate with no extra.

It sure looks cool though, can't deny that.
I will let you know once I go off road with it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Cmamisano said:
No, why would I be insane.
Cmamisano said:
Inhave no problems with acceleration or braking.
Well I don't know the technical term for it but there is a common type of delusion noted in psychology that people tend to be positively invested in an emotional sense towards things they have invested significant time and money into, even if those things are not actually all that great in reality. It creates an internal bias that makes it easy for you to look past or ignore any negative side effects of what you have done to your car.

That is to say, you don't want to believe your car is now slower or handles worse or takes longer to stop because of the personal investment you have made in the mods.

Us humans are very fickle and nonsensical, myself included. If my transmission craps out on me tomorrow, I am much more inclined to say something such as "Well, I guess Jeep makes really crappy transmissions!" without noting that mine is only one of hundreds of thousands on the road (the overwhelming majority of which are not broken), and I will certainly leave out the many times I towed beyond the official weight rating of the car, etc.

If you are at a stop light next to a stock compass on stock tires, and both of you mash the go-pedal when the light turns green, no way you are keeping up with a car that has tires half the weight of yours. Cuz physics. When people put big ole tires on their trucks and larger SUVs its usually on cars that have husky V8 engines in them, or turbo or at least a V6 or something... something that has some extra power to spare. Our 2.4 liter has to downshift if it catches a breeze the wrong direction on the highway, about the dead opposite of "power to spare".

But if mostly all you do is cruise 35 MPH streets and park it to admire in various parking lots you'll never see much of a difference. Where its really going to hurt is passing and cruising on interstates/fast highways and probably uphill off road, but you'll most likely get by with it. My impression is that many off road parks are fairly tame these days and could be run by a toyota camry.

I shouldn't be a debbie-downer about it, it does look really good and since you didn't go taller than stock that should be your saving grace that makes it mostly work but that is still so much more unsprung weight than the engineers planned for the suspension to have to handle, a lot of those parts are probably going to have a much shorter life than they would have otherwise. Its not that sad except for the likely odds that it probably can't make it hardly any further off road on a truly difficult trail than it could in its stock form.

I've said the same thing to a bunch of other people doing the same mods on here. Not sure why I have become the designated negative-nancy of the group but I notice pretty much nobody ever comes back here and posts any cool pics or videos of their Compass way off-road doing highly technical and difficult trails. Its almost always a parking lot or driveway shot, hmmmm, almost like nobody here actually goes off road we just like to have that lifestyle-look.

Hey, I'm here in the same club with the rest of you. I'm just saying we collectively kinda look like posers sometimes and our forum is much more chock-full of evidence supporting that reality than it is full of cool pics and vids of anybody ever actually going off road and doing cool adventures, so if you're gonna do the full lift and big tires route (talking to everyone here), you'd all better quit posting the pics of the car in the driveway and start posting some out in cool remote locations. Thats the challenge I'm throwing down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
awesome color combination, love the look. Finally a Compass that looks like its Off-Road capable. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Baja, Its a 1.5" lift kit from Teraflex and 1" wheel spacers. Had a shop here in Naples, Florida install it.
Got it...I did not catch that you were talking about wheel spacers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is what I mean (11:03 to 12:45)

Sure did not like seeing that...especially for a Trailhawk. If he had let off the gas and started trying to move again would it have engaged?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I don't know the technical term for it but there is a common type of delusion noted in psychology that people tend to be positively invested in an emotional sense towards things they have invested significant time and money into, even if those things are not actually all that great in reality. It creates an internal bias that makes it easy for you to look past or ignore any negative side effects of what you have done to your car.

That is to say, you don't want to believe your car is now slower or handles worse or takes longer to stop because of the personal investment you have made in the mods.

Us humans are very fickle and nonsensical, myself included. If my transmission craps out on me tomorrow, I am much more inclined to say something such as "Well, I guess Jeep makes really crappy transmissions!" without noting that mine is only one of hundreds of thousands on the road (the overwhelming majority of which are not broken), and I will certainly leave out the many times I towed beyond the official weight rating of the car, etc.

If you are at a stop light next to a stock compass on stock tires, and both of you mash the go-pedal when the light turns green, no way you are keeping up with a car that has tires half the weight of yours. Cuz physics. When people put big ole tires on their trucks and larger SUVs its usually on cars that have husky V8 engines in them, or turbo or at least a V6 or something... something that has some extra power to spare. Our 2.4 liter has to downshift if it catches a breeze the wrong direction on the highway, about the dead opposite of "power to spare".

But if mostly all you do is cruise 35 MPH streets and park it to admire in various parking lots you'll never see much of a difference. Where its really going to hurt is passing and cruising on interstates/fast highways and probably uphill off road, but you'll most likely get by with it. My impression is that many off road parks are fairly tame these days and could be run by a toyota camry.

I shouldn't be a debbie-downer about it, it does look really good and since you didn't go taller than stock that should be your saving grace that makes it mostly work but that is still so much more unsprung weight than the engineers planned for the suspension to have to handle, a lot of those parts are probably going to have a much shorter life than they would have otherwise. Its not that sad except for the likely odds that it probably can't make it hardly any further off road on a truly difficult trail than it could in its stock form.

I've said the same thing to a bunch of other people doing the same mods on here. Not sure why I have become the designated negative-nancy of the group but I notice pretty much nobody ever comes back here and posts any cool pics or videos of their Compass way off-road doing highly technical and difficult trails. Its almost always a parking lot or driveway shot, hmmmm, almost like nobody here actually goes off road we just like to have that lifestyle-look.

Hey, I'm here in the same club with the rest of you. I'm just saying we collectively kinda look like posers sometimes and our forum is much more chock-full of evidence supporting that reality than it is full of cool pics and vids of anybody ever actually going off road and doing cool adventures, so if you're gonna do the full lift and big tires route (talking to everyone here), you'd all better quit posting the pics of the car in the driveway and start posting some out in cool remote locations. Thats the challenge I'm throwing down.
Florida is really flat, he'll be fine. Most people just use 4 wheel drive to drive out on the beach. ;)

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
175 Posts
My past poser vehicles.....
ZJ Inclined.JPG
Little Air (2).jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks Great, Could you give a little more info on your rims? 16" you stated would you know the width and the offset.
Link were a person could purchase? Thank you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts