My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I’m very excited about this forum as I just recently bought my first brand new Jeep Compass trailhawk. After driving for a little while tho, I started noticing that when the engine is still cold, the car experiences a rough shifting into second gear. Almost like a jerking where your body is slightly thrown upwards. This only happens during the first 5 to 7 times after I start moving from a full stop where the gears shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Typically after the 5 to 7 first traffic lights I hit on my way to work. This only happens between first to second gear shifting. What puzzles me is that it all stops after driving the car for a little while. Then the car starts shifting very smoothly into the second gear after moving from a full stop. I took it back to the dealership and a technician said this is normal with the compass and Cherokees, but after looking up online, I don’t see anyone talking about this behavior and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I should probably mention it’s an automatic transmission. I have had several cars in the past and never experienced that.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It is a "learning" transmission that sort of self calibrates both to itself and to you as you drive it, so it may come out of it after a while but if it doesn't get better after a thousand miles or if its quite extreme I'd say you have to take it back to the dealership and insist they road test it to see for themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a "learning" transmission that sort of self calibrates both to itself and to you as you drive it, so it may come out of it after a while but if it doesn't get better after a thousand miles or if its quite extreme I'd say you have to take it back to the dealership and insist they road test it to see for themselves.
That’s a really interesting point. I was not aware of that. The jerking is not super strong, but definitely noticeable. At times stronger than others. I will give another 500 miles to see if anything changes. If not, I will do what you suggested. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, I've started changing the way I press the throttle and the 1st to 2nd gear jerk goes away. I'm going to monitor this and throttle it differently to see if that changes. So far I have about 1000 miles.

Funny thing is that if you switch to secuencial, the issue does not happen, from my point of view the behavior supports what @arudlang was saying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 jeep compass sport and I'm experiencing same thing took it to dealership and they couldnt replicate but I told them it's because it was warmed up already it does it the first 30 minutes or so of driving when engine is cold. Was told it's normal I dont think it is. You all have any updates?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
176 Posts
I know have about 1300 on mine and have not noticed anything. Just had the oil changed and they did not say anything about any updates that were done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm at 1900 miles now. I took it to the dealership 1 week ago. On the same day, the dealership confirmed the issue but told me they had no idea what was going on. They were supposed to call me on Friday, but they did not. So I called at the end of the days, and on Saturday, still no news or diagnosis, but they were thinking that they would need to change the whole transmission.

I called Jeep Wave because the dealership was not responding to my calls, they assigned my case as "Premium" and the representative from Jeep Wave is following up with the dealership. The last news I had was yesterday, they are talking to the "highest tier" (my case manager's words) of engineers at Jeep because they don't know what's going on.

Now I'm driving a rental they provided that smells like cigars.

I have no hopes that this issue will be resolved soon, and it seems like it can trigger a recall for certain vehicles. Jeep Wave service has been quite good so far, not so much the dealership. I don't ask for the issue to be solved in five minutes, but at least be updated on the latest discoveries, and knowing that my car is not just sitting there collecting dust.

cc @Crissy23

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm at 1900 miles now. I took it to the dealership 1 week ago. On the same day, the dealership confirmed the issue but told me they had no idea what was going on. They were supposed to call me on Friday, but they did not. So I called at the end of the days, and on Saturday, still no news or diagnosis, but they were thinking that they would need to change the whole transmission.

I called Jeep Wave because the dealership was not responding to my calls, they assigned my case as "Premium" and the representative from Jeep Wave is following up with the dealership. The last news I had was yesterday, they are talking to the "highest tier" (my case manager's words) of engineers at Jeep because they don't know what's going on.

I have no hopes that this issue will be resolved soon, and it seems like it can trigger a recall for certain vehicles. Jeep Wave service has been quite good so far, not so much the dealership. I don't ask for the issue to be solved in five minutes, but at least be updated on the latest discoveries, and knowing that my car is not just sitting there collecting dust.

cc @Crissy23
I hope you get this resolved. It gives me hope to get mine resolved. I'm going to ask they keep it overnight to replicate it on a cold start instead of when it's been warmed up and drive all day. My dealership didn't act interested in helping whatsoever. Please update once you find out more about what's going on and what they do to fix the issue please.

·
Registered
4 Posts

cc @Crissy23
UPDATE

Finally, I received a call from the dealership, seems that they had my number wrong and they were quite helpful about what's going on and what should I expect.

After reviewing it with Jeep Engineers, they approved to change the transmission. It'll take 2 weeks to ship and 1 week to be replaced.

I have a few hypotheses (this is what I think and nothing related to what the dealership said), I believe this is something mechanical, as it stops happening once the car has warmed up, I hope it gets resolved with the new transmission. I'm sure it's something related to the clutch disc that might be faulty or not properly installed, and that's why the transition is not smooth. If it was something related to the metal gears, it shouldn't be any difference between operating cold or warm.

@Crissy23 they'll probably need to keep yours overnight to validate what's happening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m very excited about this forum as I just recently bought my first brand new Jeep Compass trailhawk. After driving for a little while tho, I started noticing that when the engine is still cold, the car experiences a rough shifting into second gear. Almost like a jerking where your body is slightly thrown upwards. This only happens during the first 5 to 7 times after I start moving from a full stop where the gears shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Typically after the 5 to 7 first traffic lights I hit on my way to work. This only happens between first to second gear shifting. What puzzles me is that it all stops after driving the car for a little while. Then the car starts shifting very smoothly into the second gear after moving from a full stop. I took it back to the dealership and a technician said this is normal with the compass and Cherokees, but after looking up online, I don’t see anyone talking about this behavior and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I should probably mention it’s an automatic transmission. I have had several cars in the past and never experienced that.
I have a 2021 latitude and this has happened about 5 times I have 2000 miles on it, I feel like I've been rear-ended when it happened. My husband thought maybe I was accelerating too fast from stop position, but this shouldn't be happening in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have 2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk too and mine is doing the same thing which is what brought me to this page. I have about 6500 miles on it and it’s been doing it the whole time. My friend said that is normal but it bothers me so I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problems. I’ve yet to mention it to the dealer but it looks like I need to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2021 Compass Trailhawk with the same issue. Dealer will be checking it on Wednesday. No way is it accepted as being normal. It gives a jolt every time until at full operating temperature. Then smooth as can be. Feels almost like a broken mount allowing it but being it is gone after warm-up I doubt it. Dealership already advised me it is correctable with a bit of reprogramming. Also stated some Compasses had a recall for this but mine isn't listed. Not to 500 miles on it yet and not having that bang into gear tearing things up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took mine into the dealership today. They did an adjustment of shift points they said. Will know more after a cold start tomorrow but I definitely notice a change already. Much smoother feeling shifts. Will see how it acts in the morning but "fingers crossed" I think it is ok now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Took mine into the dealership today. They did an adjustment of shift points they said. Will know more after a cold start tomorrow but I definitely notice a change already. Much smoother feeling shifts. Will see how it acts in the morning but "fingers crossed" I think it is ok now.
Glad to hear you were able to see the dealer, Dispatchbob. Keep us updated on any changes and if you need assistance, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to see the dealer, Dispatchbob. Keep us updated on any changes and if you need assistance, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Wife and I love the Compass Trailhawk. We had two Patriots prior and one of our daughters has a Cherokee Trailhawk and another a Grand Cherokee 4x4 Altitude black out. Many compliments given on ours - think the Spitfire orange is awesome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: At cold start take off there is a very slight harshness from 1st to 2nd now. Apparently 100% normal per the manual. Issue gone after my second stop and go which occur in my first two blocks of driving. Happy with the outcome of my dealership visit!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts