My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk too and mine is doing the same thing which is what brought me to this page. I have about 6500 miles on it and it’s been doing it the whole time. My friend said that is normal but it bothers me so I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problems. I’ve yet to mention it to the dealer but it looks like I need to.
I have a 2021 Jeep Compass and I complained from day 1 kept saying no issues only after I got jeep involved they say now you have a rear differential issue they replaced was not happy wanted new transmission and Jeep was unwilling to change and my car now sounds like a Mack truck on acceleration and braking this only happened after change my car is a lemon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m very excited about this forum as I just recently bought my first brand new Jeep Compass trailhawk. After driving for a little while tho, I started noticing that when the engine is still cold, the car experiences a rough shifting into second gear. Almost like a jerking where your body is slightly thrown upwards. This only happens during the first 5 to 7 times after I start moving from a full stop where the gears shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Typically after the 5 to 7 first traffic lights I hit on my way to work. This only happens between first to second gear shifting. What puzzles me is that it all stops after driving the car for a little while. Then the car starts shifting very smoothly into the second gear after moving from a full stop. I took it back to the dealership and a technician said this is normal with the compass and Cherokees, but after looking up online, I don’t see anyone talking about this behavior and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I should probably mention it’s an automatic transmission. I have had several cars in the past and never experienced that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did they fix the problem? Or blow it off
In my case, the issue is still going on. Even after replacing the full transmission.

Recently they performed some sort of transmission learning and driver learning reset, that fixed the issue for a couple of days but by the 3rd day, the issue arose again.

As time goes it gets worst and worst. I'm in the bay area so it's quite warm right now and in a few blocks the transmission reaches 110 degrees and the issue is gone, but in winter this is going to be terrible.

I'm not happy at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m very excited about this forum as I just recently bought my first brand new Jeep Compass trailhawk. After driving for a little while tho, I started noticing that when the engine is still cold, the car experiences a rough shifting into second gear. Almost like a jerking where your body is slightly thrown upwards. This only happens during the first 5 to 7 times after I start moving from a full stop where the gears shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Typically after the 5 to 7 first traffic lights I hit on my way to work. This only happens between first to second gear shifting. What puzzles me is that it all stops after driving the car for a little while. Then the car starts shifting very smoothly into the second gear after moving from a full stop. I took it back to the dealership and a technician said this is normal with the compass and Cherokees, but after looking up online, I don’t see anyone experienced that.
In my case, the issue is still going on. Even after replacing the full transmission.

Recently they performed some sort of transmission learning and driver learning reset, that fixed the issue for a couple of days but by the 3rd day, the issue arose again.

As time goes it gets worst and worst. I'm in the bay area so it's quite warm right now and in a few blocks the transmission reaches 110 degrees and the issue is gone, but in winter this is going to be terrible.

I'm not happy at all.
keep taking it in. They have to do something

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m very excited about this forum as I just recently bought my first brand new Jeep Compass trailhawk. After driving for a little while tho, I started noticing that when the engine is still cold, the car experiences a rough shifting into second gear. Almost like a jerking where your body is slightly thrown upwards. This only happens during the first 5 to 7 times after I start moving from a full stop where the gears shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Typically after the 5 to 7 first traffic lights I hit on my way to work. This only happens between first to second gear shifting. What puzzles me is that it all stops after driving the car for a little while. Then the car starts shifting very smoothly into the second gear after moving from a full stop. I took it back to the dealership and a technician said this is normal with the compass and Cherokees, but after looking up online, I don’t see anyone talking about this behavior and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. I should probably mention it’s an automatic transmission. I have had several cars in the past and never experienced that.
If u have the Trailhawk, then it is happening between 2&3 gear. Trailhawk only uses first gear for 4low unless u manually shift it into that gear. Mine does the same thing. Thinking of taking it to the dealership before warranty runs out on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to see the dealer, Dispatchbob. Keep us updated on any changes and if you need assistance, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Update: After they did a slight programming change of shift points the problem lessened somewhat. Morning temps cooling now. Trans temp 63 degrees this morning. Harsh first to second always there until trans gets to 110-115 degrees. Sadly the problem shift lasts longer due to lower trans temps from cold start. I doubt it will dissipate at all once winter arrives. I hear there is a programming fix for this that came out in July. Contacted my dealer this morning and awaiting an answer. As I told them - if there isn't a fix then I'm not interested in bringing it in for a hit and miss reprogramming. Will advise when I get an answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a "learning" transmission that sort of self calibrates both to itself and to you as you drive it, so it may come out of it after a while but if it doesn't get better after a thousand miles or if its quite extreme I'd say you have to take it back to the dealership and insist they road test it to see for themselves.
I agree. I purchased a new 2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk Elite and experienced the same issue when I first started driving it. Like many other users stated, it also happened to me only when the jeep was cold and only for the first few minutes. Afterwords, its was perfectly fine, the gears would then work perfectly.

Two months later, I now have 3000km on it, and no longer experience that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I've done a lot of research on this issue, it was happening with my 2018 jeep compass latitude. Hard shifting between gears. I was ultimately able to fix the issue by replacing the spark plugs. Faulty spark plugs can cause the hesitation in shifting and the harsh sounding gear changeovers. I watched a youtube video on how to replace the spark plugs and this has solved my issue!! Cost me around $11 per spark plug, and a few tools. Around $70 fix total. Absolutely 100% worth it!

Ask a shop to change your spark plugs if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, then see if the issue remains. I can almost guarantee it will go away. Hope this helps!! Thanks and cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: After they did a slight programming change of shift points the problem lessened somewhat. Morning temps cooling now. Trans temp 63 degrees this morning. Harsh first to second always there until trans gets to 110-115 degrees. Sadly the problem shift lasts longer due to lower trans temps from cold start. I doubt it will dissipate at all once winter arrives. I hear there is a programming fix for this that came out in July. Contacted my dealer this morning and awaiting an answer. As I told them - if there isn't a fix then I'm not interested in bringing it in for a hit and miss reprogramming. Will advise when I get an answer.
Good Afternoon,

I've done a lot of research on this issue, it was happening with my 2018 jeep compass latitude. Hard shifting between gears. I was ultimately able to fix the issue by replacing the spark plugs. Faulty spark plugs can cause the hesitation in shifting and the harsh sounding gear changeovers. I watched a youtube video on how to replace the spark plugs and this has solved my issue!! Cost me around $11 per spark plug, and a few tools. Around $70 fix total. Absolutely 100% worth it!

Ask a shop to change your spark plugs if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, then see if the issue remains. I can almost guarantee it will go away. Hope this helps!! Thanks and cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Jeep Compass automatic and mine does the same thing!!! I also noticed it seems to shift through the gears fast and early and then seems a bit boggy, but apparently, they meant to do that. Thanks Jeep.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue but it’s hard and at random points of shifting. Feels like I am getting rear ended. I’ve never experienced this with any other vehicle I’ve owned and I absolutely hate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 compass trailhawk, I”v only had for 3 months has 15,000 miles on it, the same thing is happening with my Jeep shift hard until car warms up, so I dropped my car off last night at dealership so they can drive it while it’s still cold, I wouldn’t think this is normal, so just waiting to see what they say.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts