My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wife drove it around and likes it. Took a few pictures.
How did you find power output from the engine to be? I heard it can be a bit sluggish. Also, if you don't mind mentioning, what vehicles have you driven previously?... that does after all play into your view of the Compass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came from a 2014 Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins Diesel. Was a big crew cab truck but had 900ftlbs of torque factory. Thing moved! I hit the throttle and it would RUN!

This 2.0 is a bit sluggish. It's also harder to gauge as I think I found out that you need to step on the throttle a bit more for it to come alive. Meaning it requires for foot movement for throttle response from my truck. I'm getting used to it, but trust me, there is no darting out in traffic. I haven't really pushed it either. It's only got 100 miles on it. So I've been driving it like an old lady.

If someone was coming from another car, I don't think it would feel as bad. My wife said it wasn't that bad and she is coming from a 2006 Dodge Durango with a 4.7L V8.

It rides really nice. Car like. I am enjoying it. I had a 38 gallon diesel tank - so this 13 gallon gas tank is nice !:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes it is underpowered. Heavy vehicle + tiny economy engine = slow. But it has the highest avg fuel rating in Jeep's line up. I think I read it was higher than the Renegade by just a little. All that aside, I trust Jeeps 4x4 systems over all the comparable competitors. It will get me to work safely in the Colorado winters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Soon enough we won't have to worry much about weight, instead it might be if car/truck makers are putting enough effort into including sufficient power. With all that future weight cutting will come downsizing of our engines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forums! Coming from that beast of a Ram, I can only imagine how sluggish the Compass would feel haha.
Don't get me wrong, it's fun to drive, but yeah, the 2.0 could use a little more pep.. but I enjoy driving it. Now that I've had it a few more weeks, I'm getting used to not being able to dart around people, waiting for the extra time to pull out into traffic.

My Truck was huge, but it MOVED! I could do 4 quarter mile trips compared to the 1 of the Compass! haha

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it's fun to drive, but yeah, the 2.0 could use a little more pep.. but I enjoy driving it. Now that I've had it a few more whttp://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/2nd-gen-jeep-compass-photos-videos/34625-my-high-altitude.html#post96226eeks, I'm getting used to not being able to dart around people, waiting for the extra time to pull out into traffic.

My Truck was huge, but it MOVED! I could do 4 quarter mile trips compared to the 1 of the Compass! haha
On the bright side it might help you hang a bit back in traffic away from the idiots. I experienced something similar going from a big V8 to smaller V6's and 4 cylinder engines. Not that bad when the vehicle is just a simple commuter to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts