My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I was rear ended on Saturday by a person in an Acura TL. Only 5000 miles on the Jeep.

His car suffered quite a bit of damage, and his airbags caused his wrists some burning. The police office thought he hit me at close to 30, but I am not sure it was that fast. I think the damage would be worse if I did not have a trailer hitch with the ball in it.

My bumper got moved slight out of place and the place below is dented in pretty bad.

Not sure on the estimate, just waiting on the insurance to come to the office.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My headrests did go off. I am unable to reset the headrests. The insurance company is coming to my office today to inspect the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I see you have Class III hitch much like mine. I always leave the receiver in it just in case someone want to bump me or tangle with the rear. It breaks a lot of the blow minimizing penetration.

Your back end looks different though. lools more like a WJ than a Compass back end.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yikes, sorry to see and hear about this but definitely looks like the TL took the brunt of the hit and not very well either just glad you're ok! What did your insurance say?

- Cherokee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes, sorry to see and hear about this but definitely looks like the TL took the brunt of the hit and not very well either just glad you're ok! What did your insurance say?

- Cherokee
My Insurance came out to look at the Jeep on Tuesday. They estimated the damage at around 858.00. They gave me a two-party check for that amount. The insurance faxed the estimate to the body shop, and the shop has the parts on order. They will work with the collision shop directly in case there is there is additional damage underneath. I am hoping to drop the car off at the shop on Monday. The shop said maybe 2 days, because of paint.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Once they pull the bumper skin off there will be some damage to the internal bumper bar. I find that strange process giving you a check. Have you sign anything settling with them (insurance). The usually pay the body shops directly after the jobs done.

Thats also a pretty small estimate.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once they pull the bumper skin off there will be some damage to the internal bumper bar. I find that strange process giving you a check. Have you sign anything settling with them (insurance). The usually pay the body shops directly after the jobs done.

Thats also a pretty small estimate.

Good luck
Nothing has been signed with the insurance. The check is only an estimate, and the insurance will pay the rest to the body shop, once they look at the vehicle. MI is no fault. At least one good thing, I have no deductible to pay

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is interesting. In NY the insurance company would pay you based on the body shop estimate. Its up to you to actually get the car fixed. In general, this is nice because usually the body shop over estimates so what they actually charge you is considerably less than the check. In other words, you make out in the end. OR don't fix the car at all and pocket the money :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
This is interesting. In NY the insurance company would pay you based on the body shop estimate. Its up to you to actually get the car fixed. In general, this is nice because usually the body shop over estimates so what they actually charge you is considerably less than the check. In other words, you make out in the end. OR don't fix the car at all and pocket the money :)
That's what happened with me in GA. Lady hit me in a parking lot. Fortunately, she had good insurance. The adjuster came out and looked at my vehicle and wrote me a check for that amount. It was such a small dent that I chose to fix it myself and put the money towards something else but glad you're getting it fixed and doesn't sound like it's going to take too long.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
339 Posts
it will be longer than two days. my parts department told me that the rear valence is on backorder. mine took a week to come in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried this once and lost it, so I hope this isn't a duplicate post. Anyways, your story sounds eerily like ous. I really feel for you.

Bought our compass about 1 year ago, on 8/17. On 9/23, we had a freakish hail storm come through at work, and with less than 1000 miles on the odometer, we had a great amount of hail damage.

Still waiting to have the hail damaged repaired, on Oct.12th, we got rear ended while sitting at a red light.

Originally, the dork who rear ended us, denied having insurance, claiming he was driving someone elses care. Without insurance, I had to turn the claim into my insurance. The visable damage was 2 holes from the bolts of his license plate and an imprint of his license plate on the rear bumper. They wrote me a check for $539.00 ($500.00 deductible). This would pay for patching and repainting the bumper cover only.

My insurance found out that he did have insurance. I had the hail damage and the bumper repaired at the same time. It turned out that in addition to to outside damage, the styrofoam between the bumper and the bumper cover was cracked, and the bracket that holds the bumper onto the chassis. The total cost was $2500.00. His insurance paid that and for a rental car for the almost 2 weeks that it was in th shop.

The hail damage was also about $2500.00, which greatly exceeded the insurance company's estimate. Lesson learned, don't accept your insurance company's offer.

You didn't mention where or not you or your passengers had been injured. Immediately, after the accident, my husband experienced back pain, and I had neck pain,and migranes. Our insurance paid for our treatment.

A few months later, our insurance company called, out of the blue, and offered us a monetary sum to cover our pain and suffering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
By the way, when we were rear ended, our headrests did not activate. Is there a minimum speed or impact that needs to be met?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

I got my compass back on 8/25. Everything was repaired fine. The final bill came in at $1102.21. The shop dealt with the insurance for the rest. Everything was handled fine. The Jeep looks great. Now I have a court summons as a witness, because the guy who hit me is challenging the ticket he received.

·
Registered
278 Posts
nice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts