My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
No, Neely, there really is not a better question than that. In fact, out of all those surveys I just finished, not one asked me that, even though, overall, I would have to answer "yes." To me, it was a very well designed car. However, what I have found that really bugs me is the misaligned fit of some things, like the doors and trim. In some places they are not level or flush. Oh yeah, the only other thing I would really comment on, is that everyone that reviewed the car complained about the interior materials, too much plastic. I am more content with the plastic on the inside than I am with the plastic on the outside. For 24K, at least give me STEEL bumpers. There is nothing forgiving about the bumpers, especially if I hit another dog the size of a small deer like I did with my Cherokee. At least that was fixable without having to replace entire components. Any comments are welcome, but that is just my thought. Still LOVE the car, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #22


some interesting results from a recent Cr publication.. you may find it if you visit the church of Consumer Reports (make sure and dress the kiddies up nice when jumping into the honda to roll down to the parish)... l.m.a.o.

Looking through Consumer Report's New Car Preview 2006, I noticed many anomalies that beg for an explanation. Unfortunately, none is offered. This month I’ll discuss these unexplained differences, and how TrueDelta would handle them differently.

Specifically, I noticed many large differences between different bodystyles of the same basic car. This surprised me. Logically, different styles of the same basic car should score about the same, as they share the great majority of their parts, including powertrains. This is especially the case if both are made in the same plant.

**For example, the Dodge Magnum is essentially a Chrysler 300 with a wagon body, and both are assembled in a Chrysler plant near Toronto. However, the Dodge Magnum with the much-touted Hemi V8 scored about 55 points better than the Chrysler 300 with the same engine (with 100 being average). This is a huge difference, since only 40 points separate “worse than average” from ”better than average.” At the same time, the V6 Magnum scored about 25 points WORSE than the V6 300.

Comparing engines rather than models, the V8 scored over 60 points worse than the V6 in the 300, but scored about 20 points better than the V6 in the Magnum.

Basically, we have an 80-point anomaly. This is huge, since only 90 points (80 in past years) separate the dreaded ”much worse than average” from the much-sought ”much better than average.”

**This is the largest and oddest anomaly, but there are others. The Ford Freestyle is essentially a Ford Five Hundred with a wagon body, but it scored significantly worse. The largest difference between the two is that every Freestyle has a continuously variable transmission (CVT), while many front-wheel-drive Five Hundreds have a conventional automatic manufactured by Toyota’s transmission supplier. This could be the source of the difference. However, while the Freestyle scored about 20 points lower than the Five Hundred in front-drive form, it scored 45 points lower in all-wheel-drive form. Since every all-wheel-drive Five Hundred has the CVT, if the CVT was the reason then the difference between front-drive models should be the larger of the two.

Large differences between different bodystyles of the same vehicle are actually very common:

**The Volvo S40 sedan scored about 70 points better than the V50 wagon. This is especially odd since the sedan went into production a few months earlier, and thus was much more exposed to first-year issues.

**The Volvo S60 sedan scored about 15 points higher than the V70 wagon. Unless we're talking AWD versions; then the S60 scored about 10 points lower than the V70 wagon.

**The Subaru Outback wagon turbo scored about 20 points worse than the Subaru Legacy sedan turbo, with suspension height and bodystyle the only significant differences between the two.

**The Malibu Maxx hatch scored nearly 30 points higher than the Malibu sedan.

**The Passat wagon scored about 50 points worse than the Passat sedan.

It's actually much less common for different bodystyles of the same car to score about the same. A few that do: the Audi A4, the Ford Focus (sedan and hatch; the wagon is worse), and the Mazda3.

While Consumer Reports makes a big deal out of the 25-point difference that separates a ”much better than average” car from one that is merely ”average,” differences this large or larger appear without explanation throughout their results..

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
ACX said:
some interesting results from a recent Cr publication.. you may find it if you visit the church of Consumer Reports (make sure and dress the kiddies up nice when jumping into the honda to roll down to the parish)... l.m.a.o.

Looking through Consumer Report's New Car Preview 2006, I noticed many anomalies that beg for an explanation. Unfortunately, none is offered. This month I’ll discuss these unexplained differences, and how TrueDelta would handle them differently.

Specifically, I noticed many large differences between different bodystyles of the same basic car. This surprised me. Logically, different styles of the same basic car should score about the same, as they share the great majority of their parts, including powertrains. This is especially the case if both are made in the same plant.

**For example, the Dodge Magnum is essentially a Chrysler 300 with a wagon body, and both are assembled in a Chrysler plant near Toronto. However, the Dodge Magnum with the much-touted Hemi V8 scored about 55 points better than the Chrysler 300 with the same engine (with 100 being average). This is a huge difference, since only 40 points separate “worse than average” from ”better than average.” At the same time, the V6 Magnum scored about 25 points WORSE than the V6 300.

Comparing engines rather than models, the V8 scored over 60 points worse than the V6 in the 300, but scored about 20 points better than the V6 in the Magnum.

Basically, we have an 80-point anomaly. This is huge, since only 90 points (80 in past years) separate the dreaded ”much worse than average” from the much-sought ”much better than average.”

**This is the largest and oddest anomaly, but there are others. The Ford Freestyle is essentially a Ford Five Hundred with a wagon body, but it scored significantly worse. The largest difference between the two is that every Freestyle has a continuously variable transmission (CVT), while many front-wheel-drive Five Hundreds have a conventional automatic manufactured by Toyota’s transmission supplier. This could be the source of the difference. However, while the Freestyle scored about 20 points lower than the Five Hundred in front-drive form, it scored 45 points lower in all-wheel-drive form. Since every all-wheel-drive Five Hundred has the CVT, if the CVT was the reason then the difference between front-drive models should be the larger of the two.

Large differences between different bodystyles of the same vehicle are actually very common:

**The Volvo S40 sedan scored about 70 points better than the V50 wagon. This is especially odd since the sedan went into production a few months earlier, and thus was much more exposed to first-year issues.

**The Volvo S60 sedan scored about 15 points higher than the V70 wagon. Unless we're talking AWD versions; then the S60 scored about 10 points lower than the V70 wagon.

**The Subaru Outback wagon turbo scored about 20 points worse than the Subaru Legacy sedan turbo, with suspension height and bodystyle the only significant differences between the two.

**The Malibu Maxx hatch scored nearly 30 points higher than the Malibu sedan.

**The Passat wagon scored about 50 points worse than the Passat sedan.

It's actually much less common for different bodystyles of the same car to score about the same. A few that do: the Audi A4, the Ford Focus (sedan and hatch; the wagon is worse), and the Mazda3.

While Consumer Reports makes a big deal out of the 25-point difference that separates a ”much better than average” car from one that is merely ”average,” differences this large or larger appear without explanation throughout their results..

:lol:
First off I drive a 2002 Chrysler Neon. (Before you say Dodge Neon they sold them as Chrysler Neons in Canada for a few years)
Secondly I've already explained that CR scores the cars out of 100 (The Compass got 51 out of 100... ) but obviously you're not reading my posts as you keep making us nonsense about Average, Better Than Average...
Thirdly the cars are scored by category and the Magnum & 300 are in different categories.
Fourthly I'm not wasting anymore time with you as my explanations are obviously to complex for you to grasp and you definitely don't possess even a modicum of common sense.

Keep ignoring the truth and choosing what truths to believe. I'm sure that it will work out well for you.
:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Consumer Reports is just another reference to use when you're exploring the purchase of a new vehicle. Reviews can give you ideas about what to look for when testing a vehicle out ... but ultimately the decision is yours to make!

The problem I have with CR is that they've bought into the mystique about Japanese cars, as if the Japanese car makers can do no wrong.

And CR also gave the Wrangler a score of 17 (out of 100).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
kwc said:
Consumer Reports is just another reference to use when you're exploring the purchase of a new vehicle. Reviews can give you ideas about what to look for when testing a vehicle out ... but ultimately the decision is yours to make!

The problem I have with CR is that they've bought into the mystique about Japanese cars, as if the Japanese car makers can do no wrong.

And CR also gave the Wrangler a score of 17 (out of 100).
I agree that CR is just one reference to use - but it is a very good one.

As to your comment on CR & Japanese car makers that's not true as Mitsubishi is Japanese and they don't do to well in CR reviews.

As to the Wrangler it's made for off road driving and CR says that it's great Off Road but horrible On Road - and I've read that very same thing in numerous reviews, not just CR.

We test drove a Compass on the weekend and for the most part I liked it. We're probably going to be buying a new car this fall and right now it's between the Compass & the Caliber.
:?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Neely2005 said:
.....We're probably going to be buying a new car this fall and right now it's between the Compass & the Caliber.
:?:
Between the two.... well you know what I picked. We were originally going to order up a Caliber but decided the Compass was a better buy. There's more cargo capacity, you sit a little higher, and it doesn't have the useless chill zone ;) Not to mention you get 17" aluminum rims standard among other things. I like having a 4WD mode you can't get with the Caliber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Webmaster said:
Neely2005 said:
.....We're probably going to be buying a new car this fall and right now it's between the Compass & the Caliber.
:?:
Between the two.... well you know what I picked. We were originally going to order up a Caliber but decided the Compass was a better buy. There's more cargo capacity, you sit a little higher, and it doesn't have the useless chill zone ;) Not to mention you get 17" aluminum rims standard among other things. I like having a 4WD mode you can't get with the Caliber.
Yeah we're having a tough time deciding as there are things on both that we like. We'd either be getting a Caliber R/T AWD or a Compass Limited.

Yeah the Chill Zone is not to great but I like it better than the useless hole in the Compass dash & the glove box on the caliber is much bigger too.

I like the 4WD Lock on the Compass too as well as more cargo room, head room & ground clearance. The Compass actually accelerates a little faster than the Caliber too.

I like the Gages and the Outside Door Handles (R/T only) on the Caliber.

The Caliber is also a Little cheaper.

Decisions, decisions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Neely2005, I agree on most parts. I like the opening in the dash, it's a good spot for Kleenex, pens, etc.

I also agree the Caliber guages are nicer and the R/T door handles with the chrome strip look nice.

I didn't notice any power/acceleration differences myself.

We've had to use the 4WD lock mode in the snow, I wonder how the Caliber would have done in that deep snow.....? We also put on Nokian all-weather tires for better year-round traction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Webmaster said:
Neely2005, I agree on most parts. I like the opening in the dash, it's a good spot for Kleenex, pens, etc.

I also agree the Caliber guages are nicer and the R/T door handles with the chrome strip look nice.

I didn't notice any power/acceleration differences myself.

We've had to use the 4WD lock mode in the snow, I wonder how the Caliber would have done in that deep snow.....? We also put on Nokian all-weather tires for better year-round traction.
The R/T door handles not only look better but they feel much more solid. I'm assuming that the AWD Caliber would do okay in the snow even with out the 4WD Lock Mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Re: I thought that it would make sense to post the CR Review

Neely2005 said:
Okay here is the Synopsis from the Consumer Reports Review in the February 2007 issue:

Model Reviewed: Jeep Compass Sport with CVT & 2.4L Engine
Category: Small SUV’s
Score: 51 out of 100 (Compass Score)
Highest Rated: Toyota RAV4 Limited (V6) – Score: 83 out of 100 (Effectively this means that the Compass scored 51 out of 83 or 61.4%) (This RAV4 V6 also costs about $9000 US more than this Compass Sport)
Highs: CVT Transmission, Unusual Interior Features
Lows: Agility, Fit & Finish, Engine & Road Noise, Visibility, Rear Access.

It was Not a CR Quick Pick either.

For comparison the Jeep Liberty Sport (V6) scored @ 42 by Consumer Reports and it costs $4000 US more than the Compass.

:idea:
MSN Review with a CR Mention:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overv ... el=Compass

:!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Re: I thought that it would make sense to post the CR Review

Neely2005 said:
Neely2005 said:
Okay here is the Synopsis from the Consumer Reports Review in the February 2007 issue:

Model Reviewed: Jeep Compass Sport with CVT & 2.4L Engine
Category: Small SUV’s
Score: 51 out of 100 (Compass Score)
Highest Rated: Toyota RAV4 Limited (V6) – Score: 83 out of 100 (Effectively this means that the Compass scored 51 out of 83 or 61.4%) (This RAV4 V6 also costs about $9000 US more than this Compass Sport)
Highs: CVT Transmission, Unusual Interior Features
Lows: Agility, Fit & Finish, Engine & Road Noise, Visibility, Rear Access.

It was Not a CR Quick Pick either.

For comparison the Jeep Liberty Sport (V6) scored @ 42 by Consumer Reports and it costs $4000 US more than the Compass.

:idea:
MSN Review with a CR Mention:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overv ... el=Compass

:!:
CR Snapshot Review:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Consu ... el=Compass

:!:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
One of the official reviews I did, before I came across this site, is on Yahooautos.com. I think we all agree, it was not the most welcomed or well received car on the block, but really, how about your own opinion? If I missed where you posted that elsewhere, I apologize, but what do YOU think?
My thought is, too many people pay too much attention to others' opinions and not enough to their own. If you are happy with your car and your choice, then why care so much about what everyone else thinks?
Lastly, yes, the reviews have been less than kind, to put it mildly, and they are there as part of the research process that one goes through when buying a new car, and in that capacity, they are GUIDELINES, the "professional" opinions of paid editors and test drivers, NOT actual owners (sorry, Webmaster, just couldn't quote you that quickly, but I know you said it first).
Anyways, I was sold on the car BEFORE the reviews. The only thing I was lacking was the test drive, because I don't buy anything sight unseen, and I was hooked. Sold, just bring me the papers!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Well put Cherokee. As far as I'm concerned, it's the opinions that matter of the actual owners, and drivers.

Here is what they think of the vehicle!!!!

http://autos.yahoo.com/jeep_compass-rev ... 1&show=atl

Dont believe the so called "professional" reviewers, this a great vehicle and great value for the money, not to mention safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Cherokee said:
One of the official reviews I did, before I came across this site, is on Yahooautos.com. I think we all agree, it was not the most welcomed or well received car on the block, but really, how about your own opinion? If I missed where you posted that elsewhere, I apologize, but what do YOU think?
My thought is, too many people pay too much attention to others' opinions and not enough to their own. If you are happy with your car and your choice, then why care so much about what everyone else thinks?
Lastly, yes, the reviews have been less than kind, to put it mildly, and they are there as part of the research process that one goes through when buying a new car, and in that capacity, they are GUIDELINES, the "professional" opinions of paid editors and test drivers, NOT actual owners (sorry, Webmaster, just couldn't quote you that quickly, but I know you said it first).
Anyways, I was sold on the car BEFORE the reviews. The only thing I was lacking was the test drive, because I don't buy anything sight unseen, and I was hooked. Sold, just bring me the papers!!!
I haven't decided yet as I haven't bought a Compass yet - I posted that earlier in this thread. That's why I'm reading as many reviews as possible - and for the record Consumer Reports does own a Compass as they buy all of the cars that they test in order to remain objective. http://www.edmunds.com also bought a Compass for their long term test fleet. You can read their Compass BLOG here:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/cate ... assLimited

And more info here:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Vi ... el=Compass

As of right now we're deciding between a Compass Limited & a Caliber R/T AWD (those are the front runners right now but it could change) and will likely buy this fall when the 2008's come out as I don't buy cars in their first model year.

So far I've test drove a Compass North & a Caliber SXT plus I rented a Caliber SXT for a weekend and put a few hundred Km's on it.

:!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Hey you're from Toronto also? I got my Compass at Colombo Chrysler in Woodbridge and I got a great deal.

GET THE COMPASS!! LOL it looks much nicer and I'm hearing drives a lot better also. Have u test driven both to compare? Don't listen to the reviews, you have to go by your own opinion. I can't find anything wrong with this vehicle, I just love it, so I'm waiting for mine to come in, just ordered 2 weeks ago.

Is there gonna be a difference with the '08's? You could probably get a better deal if u got an '07 when the 2008's come out.. whatever problems the 2007's have, I'm hoping they can just easily fix at the dealer.

Good luck with your decision.
 
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Top