My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
While European models offered the Adaptive Cruise Control as an option from the beginning, it wasn't available in North America.
This changes with the MY2019:
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=20071&mid=
I wonder if the option would be activeable on 2017 and 2018 models? They basically have all the required sensors. They just need the steering wheel buttons (assuming the wiring to the buttons is there) and the activation of the option on the software.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've wondered about this as well when I heard the announcement. I've considered getting the buttons just to fill in the blanks on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've wondered about this as well when I heard the announcement. I've considered getting the buttons just to fill in the blanks on the steering wheel.
You would still need a dealer to activate it through the software. I am also wondering if the wiring to the buttons is already there or not. If not, you would also need to wire them. Alternatively, if there is a circuit board below the buttons, there wont be a need for wires in any case, buttons will just push on to the circuit board and the buttons would be plug and play as long as you can get the software to register input.

I will ask my dealer about doing this once they have 2019s in their lot. Technically it should be doable.

Let us know if you can get it working!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Okay while looking at the buttons for the ACC, I found out that it comes together with the rest of the cruise control assembly. Below is the link to the part (although the actual part number might be different and we need 2019 Compass to know what it is, or we need to number for the EU model).

Good news is the ACC is a part of the cruise control unit, so there is just one wire for the entire thing. We wouldn't need to worry about the presence of the wiring. As long as you have the regular cruise control, it just needs to be replaced by this and the cable cable will go into the same socket.

Bad news is it is more expensive than just 3 buttons :). Yet again, paying ~$75 for a feature like ACC is not that expensive, if the dealer can activate it.

I am tempted to buy the part and install it. Since the part has its own circuit board, I am wondering if it self activates the option once connected to the computer.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mop-68159640ac?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-mopar-replacement&gclid=Cj0KCQjww8jcBRDZARIsAJGCSGuJGx6-e67zg_ag4y97xkVFVze230vvlU1S6Wv8CrVBIscaOsAJjyUaAme_EALw_wcB

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ACC buttons on my German Compass look slightly different than the ones in your link. Especially bottom right has a different button.
I have only one button (bottom middle) to increase/ decrease the distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. In the link this function is controlled by two buttons (bottom middle and bottom right).

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
The ACC buttons on my German Compass look slightly different than the ones in your link. Especially bottom right has a different button.
I have only one button (bottom middle) to increase/ decrease the distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. In the link this function is controlled by two buttons (bottom middle and bottom right).
Yeah thats why I said we need the compass partty number for that unit. Hopefully, with 2019, it will be available

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ACC buttons on my Russian Compass 2018 look also different.
The specification depends on the country, I think.
By the way, all our Compasses are not equipped with that boring "Engine Start/Stop" function,
which I am very happy of.
I love this car really.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone with a Non-US compass have ACC and a manual transmission? I'm wondering if they offer that combination? I would think no, but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They do offer this combination at least in Germany. Saw a new 2018 Compass at the dealer today with manual 6-speed and ACC button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd be curious, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm pretty certain there will be some pretty significant programming differences. I'll be holding out hope that the tail light's are properly LED units. I want those.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm pretty certain there will be some pretty significant programming differences.
That should be very easy to do as long as required hardware is here. Their scan tools can install software, nobody is doing manual programming on any car at dealers. Its same is installing a driver software to a PC. They already uninstall and install software regularly while doing flashes, updates, etc.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Tripod said:
That should be very easy to do as long as required hardware is here. Their scan tools can install software, nobody is doing manual programming on any car at dealers. Its same is installing a driver software to a PC. They already uninstall and install software regularly while doing flashes, updates, etc.
*Should* is definitely the key word there, there is no technical reason it should be a problem but FCA is more than willing and able to lock down functions and features to VIN#'s or anything along those lines if they choose to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
*Should* is definitely the key word there, there is no technical reason it should be a problem but FCA is more than willing and able to lock down functions and features to VIN#'s or anything along those lines if they choose to.
There is more to it than even that. Vehicles go through certification processes. They are certified wit "XYZ" options, and adding things like all new headlights, tail lights, or any other accessory that affects how the vehicle drives or behaves, have to go through another certification process. Adaptive Cruise Control would definitely fit into this metric. This would certainly affect whether or not they would be open to retrofitting newer options onto "older" versions of the same generation of vehicle. Liabilities, nothing more, nothing less - especially in the sue to get rich country of the good ol' U.S. of A. Even if they got the green light from the federal moffia, why would they want to do this when they would rather have you trade yours in for another one? There is no financial incentive for them to offer this.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I would not be surprised if it didn't. I could see this also needing that safety thing added as well for those of us who don't have that system in our vehicles. More sensors and more expense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts