My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was draining my radiator yesterday and had it draining after opening the pet****. I felt I did it correct but for.some reason took out the pet**** all the way. When I tried to put it back it was at an angle (no room to go straight) I broke it. I am getting a new one today. I'm trying to take out the radiator to get a better shot at putting the pet**** in. Does anyone have any tips? I'm so pissed at myself, I was right but went to far.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well I was draining my radiator yesterday and had it draining after opening the pet****. I felt I did it correct but for.some reason took out the pet**** all the way. When I tried to put it back it was at an angle (no room to go straight) I broke it. I am getting a new one today. I'm trying to take out the radiator to get a better shot at putting the pet**** in. Does anyone have any tips? I'm so pissed at myself, I was right but went to far.
Don't use them, they're plastic with an O-ring seal. Many times you cannot get proper access when the rad is in and may not re seal likely due to sediment or poor design.

Pulling the lower rad hose where convinent (engine or rad end) is the best way if you dumping all the fluid. If just trying to drop the level for T-stat replacement (not sure where they are on these though and there are two). Siphone some from the rad cap hole. I hope this helps but when you get it sealed leave it alone. I suspect you won't try that again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it in last night. I put some vasoline on it and pushed it in straight with a prybar. I guess with the vasoline and new o-ring it fit better. No leaking at all. When I was first loosening up the original one, if I turned it back to close it didn't leak. It's in a wired position but works. My lower radiator hose clamp is facing toward the top and hard to get to.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Got it in last night. I put some vasoline on it and pushed it in straight with a prybar. I guess with the vasoline and new o-ring it fit better. No leaking at all. When I was first loosening up the original one, if I turned it back to close it didn't leak. It's in a wired position but works. My lower radiator hose clamp is facing toward the top and hard to get to.
Yeah, up I think they do that so its a bugger for the do it your selfer to service it. But its the surest way. Those plastic rad ends with the drain is a very tricky method to use. Most of the time its almost impossible to get you hand/finger to open or close them and if they leak then a big problem. Your's was worse breaking it.

Good to hear its worked out though now.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I honestly laughed out loud reading your post..by far the best posting on this site! :giggle:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts