My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting new tires before winter cuz my Firestone Affinities aren't gunna do the job this winter. They are the reason I slid into a guard rail last winter. But I need some opinions on some good all seasons that aren't gunna destroy my pocket book. I was thinking about Goodyear Wranglers but have heard that they don't last long. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Wranglers are no good in the winter (had them on an Explorer & terrible no bite). The skid easily and would be too heavy even if you found a size that could fit although unlikely as they're build for truck and big SUV's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tires for winter

last year i was going to purchase the goodyear wrangler sra's but my tire shop advised me against it. they told me they dont last long and they are too hard of a compound for winter weather. on their recomendation ,and they were actually 15 dollars cheaper per tire, i purchased 4 general altimax rt's. i love them. plenty of snow traction and they run very smooth much smoother than the stock affinity;s did. just a suggestion as there are many tires out there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I believe all Goodyears have hard rubber builds from what I have experienced. I stay away from them for that reason alone. I buy tires for traction first, being my main priority. Ride handling follows and OEM backing if there is a problem after.

If you don't have traction then its a waste of money!!! You can drive on slicks or very worn tires which may be ok until you need to stop one day fast enough and if not write off te vehicle. I am certain there are plenty of high millage tires in the wreckers that failed and the vehicle died. But they had very high millage rating. LOL Yeah they 're going far in the wreckers.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
They are very good traction tire. But I am not sold on the dissimilar thread (left side and right side of the tire). these are quite different from the All Weather WR Plus which I have on my old Jeep. My WGR2's developed cupping and became very very noisy. I cannot recommend them now for that reason.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How expensive are the Nokian tires? I've never heard of those tires. I mifht do a little research on them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You'd be looking around $900 for a set of 4 installed. Not cheap tires. If you're looking for a year round tire that is Winter Certified there are only a few out there. This is one. There is a review on the Hankook tire on Youtube which looks good. I believe its mentioned in this thread. I had a quick look but it must be an different one. Have a look.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
If you are located in Canada, TireTrends™ : Save on tires and wheels! I have bought a few sets of tires from them, if you search for 215/65/17 tires they do have some winter tires on sale right now around 100$ a tire. The shipping is also very reasonable. PM me if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
look at some BF Goodrich Touring or Traction T/A's. Priced right, long wear, smooth ride, and good all-weather performance. If you need more than that you might have the wrong vehicle.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well you might want to rethink the recommendation. Owner feedback on the Traction T/A is horrible to say the least. See TireRack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Traction+T/A+T
Not sure what your gripe is! Out of 572 reviews posted on tirerack, 325 offered 5 stars, 188 offered 4 stars, 41 offered 3 stars and a combined 18 offered 2 or less stars. I would say these are very respectable numbers. Besides, you're always going to find 18 people out of 572 that will buck the system. Are Traction or Touring T/A's the best tire out there, probably not. But Dollar for Dollar they offer one of the most balanced (i.e., BEST) deals to be had.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The two reviews and first presented list as most recent are negative reviews. That is what is immediately presented. Reading the others is via another link at which time I lost interest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The two reviews and first presented list as most recent are negative reviews. That is what is immediately presented. Reading the others is via another link at which time I lost interest.
Well I'm glad to see that you at least made an effort to conduct minimal research prior to posting your objection to my recommendation. Nonetheless, Jeepguy2010, BF Goodrich Touring or Traction T/A's warrent a look, based on their own merits.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've had T/A's on another SUV a decade ago and they like many All season tires are good summer tires. But in foul weather and cold you HAVE to switch to a Winter Tire. Or you'll be paying for the snows with your deductible when you hit someone. Almost guaranteed to happen.

The Optimo 4S reads good but other than internet Youtube and some others I've not seen any testimonials. Some tires just may work better than others on certain vehicles in some sizes better than others and/or weight factors.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was also looking at the Firestone Precision Touring, anyone know anything about them? They got 4.5 out of 5 stars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I bought my Jeep Compass, it had goodyear RSA
I tell you this is the worst tires I ever had. They don't last and were noisy from day 1. Finally, after about 45k miles I got rid of them and I bought Michelin Hydro Edge. These are really good tires. Over 100,000 miles later they are still good. Quiet and fast. But I will be replacing them soon with Michelin Defenders.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Goodyear Wranglers are really that bad huh?
They aren't any good in any kind of bad weather. You cannot use Wrangler in the winter. The rubber gets too hard and you will skid on any surface thats not dry. I would not take them if offered free. Almost any well rated tire will do light years better than that line up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts