My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying this is our first Jeep. We like our brand new 2020 Compass Latitude Sun and Safety package. I would say love but it develops a horrible driver side front suspension noise after about 75 miles into a drive. After parking for a time it goes away. We brought it back to the dealership the day after the first time we heard it but they found nothing as it no longer made the noise. We went on another road trip and it started again. We stopped at the dealership again and insisted they take a quick drive to at least hear it. I left it running and 15min later a service rep got into take it for a test drive. We backed up... it could be heard... We drove only around the building and he said oooh that's not right. We left it with the dealership for 3 days and received our call to pick it up...... They couldn't get it to make the noise but looked and found nothing wrong again. Today driving again it started but not as bad and went away in the rain. I think it is thermal expansion related. Also the steering wheel is now not straight either. Seems off about 3 or 4 degrees. I will be calling tomorrow to see what they want to do next. Curious if any one else experienced such early issues. Thanks for reading the long post.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
Welcome! No, I've not experienced your problem, but I agree. Something is not right. I hope your dealer is a good one and will successfully resolve the issue. Please report back.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That is really strange, if I had to hazard a wild guess I would think defective strut since it seems like that is something that can kinda "warm up" after enough pounding miles over bumps and things. I assume this is a noise you only hear when going over bumps? If its a constant noise I'd be suspecting something with the brakes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Our steering wheel was off a bit to the left when we first got our new truck also. However we did not have any noise issues and the dealer just adjusted it back straight during our first year service visit. Some reports of loud noise issues have been loose wheel area plastic trim pieces hitting the tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our Compass makes a noise that I believe is in the drivers front area. It’s a clicking sound like when a CV shaft goes bad but it’s not the cv axle. Mine actually gets worse 8n the rain and I can almost make the noise by wiggling the steering wheel. That leads me to believe ins a tie rod end, the rack, or in the strut somehow. Mine does it the most when the wheel is fully turned either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts