My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Vehicle registration plate
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Vehicle registration plate

Hey all, new member to the forum but I’ve been around for years looking stuff up.
I used to have a blue ‘78 CJ5 with a 2in lift on 33’s. I certainly miss that rig.
Little about my current Jeep
2014 Jeep Compass Sport
2.0 6-speed
2wd
125,xxx miles
0 modifications to it.

She’s been good to me and has been experiencing normal maintenance issues with its age and mileage.
Replaced alternator + battery at 115,xxx (not fun to get the alternator out)
Replaced upper radiator hose due to leak at the fill joint. Sprayed coolant all over top of engine bay sadly, still need to clean it up.
And normal 100k mile tune up maintenance.

the issue i’m facing at the moment is i will lose all power to accelerator pedal and voltage light comes on but then a split second later power returns and light goes off. Literally a fraction of a second this happens. I dont even have a fast enough response time to see exactly what light came on.

I need help identifying what this could be. I don’t exactly know where to start to get to the root of the issue.
Thanks all!

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
314 Posts
Could it be the Electronic Throttle Control light coming on? It's located in the upper left of the instrument cluster.

Font Screenshot Publication Terrestrial plant Document

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Circle

Back when the Toyota sudden acceleration incidents were happening I experimented with my 2009 Dodge Caravan to see what happens when your press the brake while the accelerator was pushed, the ETC light came on and the vehicle lost power. Maybe the brake switch is defective and your Jeep thinks the brake is pressed when it isn't.

Reactions: Jasmine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be the Electronic Throttle Control light coming on? It's located in the upper left of the instrument cluster.

View attachment 15693
View attachment 15694

Back when the Toyota sudden acceleration incidents were happening I experimented with my 2009 Dodge Caravan to see what happens when your press the brake while the accelerator was pushed, the ETC light came on and the vehicle lost power. Maybe the brake switch is defective and your Jeep thinks the brake is pressed when it isn't.
This is exactly the light I think is coming on. The incidents happen so quickly that my eyes aren’t fast enough to catch what light is actually coming on. However i believe it is the ETC light.

I have had some issues with my brakes over the last year or so. Even brand new brakes still squeal and have a pulsing in the pedal. Unsure what that issue could be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
no help on the light issue but onto the brakes.
When you say you installed new brakes what did you actually install? Pads and rotors or just pads? A pulsation in the brakes can be a few diff things. warped rotors are the most common. If you just replaced pads and did nothing to the rotors im afraid you will need to replace the pads again and at a minimun machine the rotors if there is enough material to do so.
If you did machine the rotors, it may be that they are so thin they are warping again. This also is veery common. Again replace pads nessasary and replacement of rotors as well.
If you replaced the pads and rotors what type of rotors did you use? If they are the cheapest you can find the metal they are made of may be substandard and again prone to warping. The fix is you guessed it.... Repace pads and rotors with good quality ones.
This all assumes things like torqueing your lug nuts by hand and using a torque wrench to tighten to proper spec. Loose lugnuts cand cause a vibration while braking and even fall off while driving then you will have your tire come off. Not fun.
Overtorqueing you lugnust can result in.... Warped rotors and guess the fix... Go ahead I will wait... New pads and rotors.
Also assumes tires are not unevenly worn which can cause vibration. Wheel bearings are not worn n loose as well as basic suspension being in good working order.
If you were local and I could go for a ride with you I prob could steer you in a specific direction to go.... Too many years working for a car mfg as a service advisor gives me so much info I hardly get to share. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts