My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new K&N E-1998 filter today. cost $68 Canadian

Do I just drop it in the airbox and just drive like I used to.
or
Do I have to reset the computer by the gas pedal method so it can learn the new filter and driving
or
Do I have to disconnect the negative battery post and rest the who ECU for about an hour or more and drive so that the computer will learn a whole bunch of things.

What do you do

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You don't need to do anything. Sensors in the air intake will adjust for air temp and air flow.

I would not use it if you're in dusty conditions a lot. Paper filters out much better then they do.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That's is, just drop in your new filter and drive like you normally would, nothing else required.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I just dropped it in took about 45 minutes with the two back screws used a mini 1/8 drive with a deep socket.
I have had 3 K&N filters before and they were all drop ins, the last two were in a plastics wrapper and you could see that they were pre-oiled with a lot of oil to the touch. This one was a drum and it was pink in color but it felt dry, I was temped to give it a shot with the recharge kit but I had second thoughts of too much, might get some on the MAP. The OEM Mopar filter looked clean but I couldn't see much daylight at 2500 km. The jeep seemed to pull better better and the gas guage looks
better so far and 100-120 km/hr seems more easier to achieve. Noise level was OK I''ll put the OEM back on when I go to the Dealer and when hunting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks, I just dropped it in took about 45 minutes with the two back screws used a mini 1/8 drive with a deep socket.
I have had 3 K&N filters before and they were all drop ins, the last two were in a plastics wrapper and you could see that they were pre-oiled with a lot of oil to the touch. This one was a drum and it was pink in color but it felt dry, I was temped to give it a shot with the recharge kit but I had second thoughts of too much, might get some on the MAP. The OEM Mopar filter looked clean but I couldn't see much daylight at 2500 km. The jeep seemed to pull better better and the gas guage looks
better so far and 100-120 km/hr seems more easier to achieve. Noise level was OK I''ll put the OEM back on when I go to the Dealer and when hunting.
no need to put the original back on when going back to the dealer. K&N guarantees that their filters will not effect the warranty.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The dealer won't pull the air filter for any reason. Some shops pull them on oil changes to sell you another one indicating its dirty and you need a new one. LOL

But the more grit that gets threw the harder it is on the engine. More frequent oil changes may help but I don't believe in the 8 -12k oil changes anyway. 5000km is about the maximum I almost ok with depending on what oil and time of year etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts