My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have recently been exploring the limits of my Compass, the one thing I noticed was that the rear muffler was getting bashed around a lot since it’s one of the lowest hanging parts of a compass/Patriot.

I went to a local exhaust shop and they were very receptive to trying to come up with a solution to get more clearance and find a place to tuck a muffler up high enough so I wouldn’t have as many issues.
I’m pleased to announce that they did a fantastic job and used a magnaflow muffler and tucked it up in the rear where the factory muffler used to be, except its WAY higher up and you can no longer see it when looking from behind.

I asked about removing the resonator and the guy working on my jeep suggested to keep it on if I wanted to keep things relatively quiet.
Upon start up and idle you can hear a noticeable hum from the exhaust which is nice and not overbearing. While cruising down the road you can barely hear any extra noise at all, and while accelerating you can hear it just a bit. Only time its real noticeable is when you are coasting down to a lower speed just before coming to a stop, the way I can describe it is a nice hum. I was looking for functionality vs any type of sound upgrade and overall I’m very happy with it.
I can tell the factory muffler was quite restrictive because accelerating and overall smoothness is much greater with the new muffler.

No sound clips yet until I can get someone to video for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
why you didn't go with this muffler I would think it could be easier,

Material: 100% Stainless Steel - Mirror Finish
Body Shape: 5in.x8in. Oval
Inlet/Outlet Size: 2.5in./2.5in.
Body Length: 14in.
Overall Length: 17in.
Core Size: 2.5in.
Position: Offset/Offset Same End

this is the muffler I am thinking of and to add up a custom installation using factory pip using this connectors in case I want to replace or take off the muffler only

could you please tel me what the pip size for the 2014 is it 2.5 or 2.25

so the final looks like this

instillation how to guide:
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15358.pdf

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pipe size is 2.5". I went with the muffler I did because I wanted to retain the factory exhaust tip, and exhaust exactly the way it was stock, other than change the muffler and increase ground clearance. The muffler you linked while it would work, would require more exhaust piping to get the factory exit location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tyler can you tell me where you got your magnaflow muffler? I have found plenty of websites that sell the cat back system but none for just the muffler, thanks

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went to a local shop here where I live and explained to them what I wanted done. Any local exhaust shop should be able to help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts