My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Back in 2012 I bought my Compass Latitude 4x4 with 2.4L brand new after researching the competition. This rig certainly offered more bang for the buck. It's done great in snow and rain, love the capable 4x4, decent on gas mileage, handles well on the highway. The only major issues I've had are the failure of the crankshaft position sensor and the transmission fluid tube (where the dipstick goes) sheared off at 80k. Thankfully I have decent mechanic who makes house calls. Best guess on the reason of the transmission fluid tube break is vibration and poor materials. The crankshaft position sensor failure is my main concern as it's happened twice, at 65k and then again at 92k. Not sure I can handle a complete loss of engine power and electrical systems while on the highway again. Any one else experience this issue? I'm thinking this is a case of shoddy engineering by FCA. While I've enjoyed this Jeep, I'm considering on getting a new rig next spring (Considering the Cherokee Latitude Lux 4x4 w/ 3.2L V6), but I really like not having a car payment.

·
Super Moderator
1,792 Posts
Welcome! I agree: "The cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you own today."

I've not had a problem with the crankshaft sensor on either of the World Engines I've had (435,000 total miles). However, there are some threads on here about that so the problem may not be uncommon. Also check out the Jeep Patriot and Dodge Caliber sites since these vehicles are all built on the same platform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! I agree: "The cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you own today."

I've not had a problem with the crankshaft sensor on either of the World Engines I've had (435,000 total miles). However, there are some threads on here about that so the problem may not be uncommon. Also check out the Jeep Patriot and Dodge Caliber sites since these vehicles are all built on the same platform.
Good advice. Thanks! I'll check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts