My Jeep Compass Forum banner

561 - 580 of 639 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
New member with a 2020 Jeep Compass 4 x 4 Sport
Welcome katrelle79! Since you have a 2020 I suggest you keep a close eye on your oil level. These new Tigershark 2.4s are known to use a lot! Some are OK but I've had two: one used a lot, the second uses some -- both use more than they should. Treat it like it was a really old engine and check the oil every time you get gas. I hope you're one of the lucky ones that don't have a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,
Purchased a 2019 Jeep Compass Limited with only 14,000 miles on it about a month ago. I am a first responder so I had to get a vehicle that will get me to work in even the worst weather conditions. That being said, we have had a freaky mild winter and I didn't get to check out the 4x4 features as of yet.

I have noticed some odd behavior with the vehicle and will post those in the appropriate forums. My hopes are to get my facts together before I visit the dealer to get them checked.

Chris
Dublin, VA

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Hi there,
Purchased a 2019 Jeep Compass Limited with only 14,000 miles on it about a month ago. I am a first responder so I had to get a vehicle that will get me to work in even the worst weather conditions. That being said, we have had a freaky mild winter and I didn't get to check out the 4x4 features as of yet.

I have noticed some odd behavior with the vehicle and will post those in the appropriate forums. My hopes are to get my facts together before I visit the dealer to get them checked.

Chris
Dublin, VA
Welcome! I'll take a look at your other posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not really sure what to write but here it goes. Lol I'm new to the Jeep lifestyle all together!
So just picked up a 2020 jeep compass trailhawk, I am loving it so far with the exception of power not use to such a small engine. However I'm excited to see what I get my self into with this beautiful vehicle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I'm not really sure what to write but here it goes. Lol I'm new to the Jeep lifestyle all together!
So just picked up a 2020 jeep compass trailhawk, I am loving it so far with the exception of power not use to such a small engine. However I'm excited to see what I get my self into with this beautiful vehicle.
Welcome! Just a heads up: keep an eye on your dipstick. These 2.4s use a lot of oil, especially when new. On the bright side, I think mine has plenty of power though it's not a racing car and the fuel economy is great for the size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome! Just a heads up: keep an eye on your dipstick. These 2.4s use a lot of oil, especially when new. On the bright side, I think mine has plenty of power though it's not a racing car and the fuel economy is great for the size.
Thank you for the heads up I'll keep an eye on the oil if you had to guess between oil changes how much oil would you say it burns? I mean when I was young I had an 82 firebird formula that drink it like the thirsty desert drinks water, needless to say I got use to keep atleast 2 qts in the trunk at all times it's a habit that has stuck with me all these years. I hope it doesn't drink that much oil lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Thank you for the heads up I'll keep an eye on the oil if you had to guess between oil changes how much oil would you say it burns? I mean when I was young I had an 82 firebird formula that drink it like the thirsty desert drinks water, needless to say I got use to keep atleast 2 qts in the trunk at all times it's a habit that has stuck with me all these years. I hope it doesn't drink that much oil lol.
It might. My 2018 Compass gradually improved to about 3000/qt Unfortunately that got wrecked and I bought a 2019 that does better but I still can't make it between oil changes without adding a quart. 0w-20 oil is mighty thin and I understand the tolerances are looser to reduce internal friction and increase MPG. This is not just an FCA problem -- other manufactures are doing the same thing.

Do not use thicker oil! Lubricating oil is sprayed not squirted and the oil is also used for the hydraulic lifters so following the OEM spec is important.

Another member on the site reported that his dealer overfilled the oil at the last change so I checked mine. I've been 500 miles since my last LOF and guess what? Yup, I'm still 1/2 quart high. Only a guess but I wonder if there is an unofficial policy to slightly overfill to reduce complaints about excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It might. My 2018 Compass gradually improved to about 3000/qt Unfortunately that got wrecked and I bought a 2019 that does better but I still can't make it between oil changes without adding a quart. 0w-20 oil is mighty thin and I understand the tolerances are looser to reduce internal friction and increase MPG. This is not just an FCA problem -- other manufactures are doing the same thing.

Do not use thicker oil! Lubricating oil is sprayed not squirted and the oil is also used for the hydraulic lifters so following the OEM spec is important.

Another member on the site reported that his dealer overfilled the oil at the last change so I checked mine. I've been 500 miles since my last LOF and guess what? Yup, I'm still 1/2 quart high. Only a guess but I wonder if there is an unofficial policy to slightly overfill to reduce complaints about excessive oil consumption.
Well that is interesting thank you for the info I'll grab a few qt's and keep in the back. So I did test-drive an 18 and 19 and noticed the in my opinion extreme lack of power then I drove a new 2020 and it seemed more responsive... Might just be a kind of placebo effect cause its newer 🤷‍♂️. What do you think of the go-peddle or peddle commander?

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Well that is interesting thank you for the info I'll grab a few qt's and keep in the back. So I did test-drive an 18 and 19 and noticed the in my opinion extreme lack of power then I drove a new 2020 and it seemed more responsive... Might just be a kind of placebo effect cause its newer 🤷‍♂️. What do you think of the go-peddle or peddle commander?
I have my doubts about gizmos and additives. As you said, placebo. People install the pedal commander, pour a can of super-juice in the tank, then take it out to see what it will do. They stomp on the gas and sure enough it seems to have more power. IMO, FCA has a room full of engineers with college degrees designing these engines to put out all they can while achieving CAFE standards. If an upgrade or an additive made a significant difference they'd come factory equipped.

Frankly the vehicle's computer will probably compensate for most modifications so you're no better off, only a few dollars poorer. My advice? Skip the gizmo and use the money to buy some ice cream for your kids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have my doubts about gizmos and additives. As you said, placebo. People install the pedal commander, pour a can of super-juice in the tank, then take it out to see what it will do. They stomp on the gas and sure enough it seems to have more power. IMO, FCA has a room full of engineers with college degrees designing these engines to put out all they can while achieving CAFE standards. If an upgrade or an additive made a significant difference they'd come factory equipped.

Frankly the vehicle's computer will probably compensate for most modifications so you're no better off, only a few dollars poorer. My advice? Skip the gizmo and use the money to buy some ice cream for your kids.
Lol good advice 😂 I agree with you and I'm also the type of person I only believe what I can see if you give me a Dyno sheet with hard proof of what it can do then I believe it otherwise it's just snake oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my name is Red and I just bought a 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude MK 4x4 (1st Gen) with 32k on it. looking to eventually do a lift and (Hopefully) get 32s under her.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Hi my name is Red and I just bought a 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude MK 4x4 (1st Gen) with 32k on it. looking to eventually do a lift and (Hopefully) get 32s under her.
Welcome, Red! Glad to have you. You got one of the last real Jeeps. Our new ones are basically Fiats styled to resemble a GC. I'm not complaining, but I owned two Patriots and drove a 1st gen Compass (as an extended loaner) that I really liked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome, Red! Glad to have you. You got one of the last real Jeeps. Our new ones are basically Fiats styled to resemble a GC. I'm not complaining, but I owned two Patriots and drove a 1st gen Compass (as an extended loaner) that I really liked.
I'm still getting used to having a 6 speed lol we'll see how she does in a real offroad test in the North Maine woods later on this summer.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I'm still getting used to having a 6 speed lol we'll see how she does in a real offroad test in the North Maine woods later on this summer.
The northern Maine woods . . . my Wife's grandfather was a warden on the St. John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, My name is Kyle from Chicago. I purchased a new 2020 Compass Sport with the 6 speed manual transmission on March 31st. I’ve been browsing the site since April, and I have always had an affinity for the FIAT-Chrysler products. This is the first new car I have purchased. I’m an automotive instructor at a Chicago area high school, and I have often advised my students not to purchase new vehicles - with the exception of motorcycles, I love my Triumph Thruxton!

As an automotive technician for 12 years, I have always owned older vehicles. I finally grew tired of pouring money into cars and I decided to buy the Jeep. I am also hoping to offer assistance on the forum if I can in any way. I am honestly amazed at the level of technology in the new Compass!

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Hello, My name is Kyle from Chicago. I purchased a new 2020 Compass Sport with the 6 speed manual transmission on March 31st. I’ve been browsing the site since April, and I have always had an affinity for the FIAT-Chrysler products. This is the first new car I have purchased. I’m an automotive instructor at a Chicago area high school, and I have often advised my students not to purchase new vehicles - with the exception of motorcycles, I love my Triumph Thruxton!

As an automotive technician for 12 years, I have always owned older vehicles. I finally grew tired of pouring money into cars and I decided to buy the Jeep. I am also hoping to offer assistance on the forum if I can in any way. I am honestly amazed at the level of technology in the new Compass!
Welcome Kyle! It will be nice to have your expertise on the site.

Contrary to you, I've always shied away from used vehicles, figuring the previous owner got rid of it because of impending repairs or unsolvable problems. However, if you know what you're doing and can diagnose the problems and accomplish those repairs yourself, you can probably find some bargains on the used car lots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello: This is Everett from Virginia, but retired from Michigan. Worked at the Auburn Hills Tech center for 30 years as a Electrical Designer. I drive a 2017 Dodge Challenger and purchased a 2020 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4 2.4 Tigershark 9spd auto for my wife.
This is not our first 2.4 Tigershark, 2015 Renegade and 2016 Dodge Dart GT both had the 2.4L. Neither one burned a drop of oil, and so far the 2020 compass has not burned any in first 2000 + miles.
Anyways enjoy reading the forums.

One a side note: I installed the mud guards/flaps front and rear, there is an issue with the 2020 passenger rear mud flap as FCA redesigned the inner well house and you have to modify it a little, as cutting a slot in the well house to accommodate the mud flap.

561 - 580 of 639 Posts