My Jeep Compass Forum banner

581 - 600 of 611 Posts

·
1,039 Posts
Great to have you, Everett! You'll be a great addition.

I'm glad you don't have the oil issue. My two Compasses (should the plural of Compass be Compi?) -- anyway, mine have both flirted with the problem but not as bad as some on here.

Oh, you might drop by this thread and offer some advice on the mud-flaps: Mud Guards? Ya or Na?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome, Red! Glad to have you. You got one of the last real Jeeps. Our new ones are basically Fiats styled to resemble a GC. I'm not complaining, but I owned two Patriots and drove a 1st gen Compass (as an extended loaner) that I really liked.
The first gen compass wasn’t any better. Basically a Dodge Caliber. Not to mention the shape.

·
1,039 Posts
The first gen compass wasn’t any better. Basically a Dodge Caliber. Not to mention the shape.
I had a 2008 Patriot, sibling to the first gen Compass. I loved it. FCA replaced the tranny twice under warranty but it didn't cost me a dime. :) Other than that only one major repair (wiring harness at 210,000 miles). It was getting close to 300,000 when I sold it to a friend. It's still on the road. Frankly, I miss it.

As for the 2nd generation Compass, my 2018 was an oil burner. It got wrecked and only because I like my dealer I replaced it with a 2019. It sucks oil too, but not as much as the 2018. After 250,000 miles my Patriot started needing a quart between oil changes, but the brand new Compass needs a quart between changes and usually its down a quart when I change it. I'd say the well-worn Patriot got 5000/quart, the brand new Compass gets about 3000/quart.

If you've got a 2nd gen Compass, I suggest you develop a love affair with the dipstick.

Oh, I kinda liked the styling of the Caliber. Not so much the 1st gen Compass. 2nd gen Compass is a nice looking and comfortable vehicle with remarkable fuel economy even with an extra case of oil in back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 2008 Patriot, sibling to the first gen Compass. I loved it. FCA replaced the tranny twice under warranty but it didn't cost me a dime. :) Other than that only one major repair (wiring harness at 210,000 miles). It was getting close to 300,000 when I sold it to a friend. It's still on the road. Frankly, I miss it.

As for the 2nd generation Compass, my 2018 was an oil burner. It got wrecked and only because I like my dealer I replaced it with a 2019. It sucks oil too, but not as much as the 2018. After 250,000 miles my Patriot started needing a quart between oil changes, but the brand new Compass needs a quart between changes and usually its down a quart when I change it. I'd say the well-worn Patriot got 5000/quart, the brand new Compass gets about 3000/quart.

If you've got a 2nd gen Compass, I suggest you develop a love affair with the dipstick.

Oh, I kinda liked the styling of the Caliber. Not so much the 1st gen Compass. 2nd gen Compass is a nice looking and comfortable vehicle with remarkable fuel economy even with an extra case of oil in back.
The compass isn’t an oil burner. All new cars use oil. If you Research the issue or even contact fca and ask. I like the shape of the patriot as well but the 4wd system wasn’t great.

·
1,039 Posts
The compass isn’t an oil burner. All new cars use oil. If you Research the issue or even contact fca and ask. I like the shape of the patriot as well but the 4wd system wasn’t great.
I'm glad yours isn't, but there's a couple threads on here with a ton of complaints. Of course people without problems don't come here to complain. Indeed manufacturers are using ultra-thin oil and increasing tolerances to reduce internal friction to increase fuel economy. It works, but the cure is worse than the disease. My Compass is all around nicer, gets slightly better fuel economy, and has slightly more power than either of my Patriots -- but its easy to forget all that when I look at the dipstick. Some manufacturers have a worse problem than FCA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm glad yours isn't, but there's a couple threads on here with a ton of complaints. Of course people without problems don't come here to complain. Indeed manufacturers are using ultra-thin oil and increasing tolerances to reduce internal friction to increase fuel economy. It works, but the cure is worse than the disease. My Compass is all around nicer, gets slightly better fuel economy, and has slightly more power than either of my Patriots -- but its easy to forget all that when I look at the dipstick. Some manufacturers have a worse problem than FCA.
It’s the wave of the future, going to have to get used to it as long as we are using fossil fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings all. Oldest daughter just leased a 2020 Limited yesterday. Looking forward to forum info/support. Just getting acclimated to the vehicle and am well aware of the oil consumption issues - her trade in was a Renegade. Hmmmm tire pressure 35 front and 32 rear, that’s a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found this group researching Uconnect upgrades. I have a 2017.5 and moved from a 5 inch to 7 inch screen. Still waiting on the gray OBD2 cable so that I can PROXI align. I swapped the climate control panel too so I can retain the physical volume control, but may have lost heated seats and wheel in the process. The on screen buttons don't work to activate it. Maybe PROXI alignment will fix it? Any insight appreciated.

·
1,039 Posts
Just found this group researching Uconnect upgrades. I have a 2017.5 and moved from a 5 inch to 7 inch screen. Still waiting on the gray OBD2 cable so that I can PROXI align. I swapped the climate control panel too so I can retain the physical volume control, but may have lost heated seats and wheel in the process. The on screen buttons don't work to activate it. Maybe PROXI alignment will fix it? Any insight appreciated.
Welcome! I hope you find the help you need. Electronics and me are no bedfellows so I'll defer to those who know more than I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Therefore we can get some interaction going here. This Forum is underutilised!
Therefore we can get some interaction going here. This Forum is underutilised!
What up, just got 2019 compass trailhawk, diamond black color. Quite a big difference from my 96 Cherokee sport. I'm pretty stoked about it, the engine being a lil 4 banger is disappointing but having that 9 speed tranny kind of makes up for it and it's techtronic so that's fun. I was looking at renegades at first until I stood by one, lol. So I know some of those are turbo, kinda hoped this was a turbo so I could play with that but nope. Anyway looking forward to reading what everyone has to say n does to their compass.

·
1,039 Posts
Welcome 2qtslo! I hope you enjoy your Compass.

FYI, one thing owners do with their Compasses is to check the oil a lot. Is that why your moniker on this site? Maybe you know that not all but many 2nd gen Compasses are oil drinkers. My 2019 can't make it between oil changes without adding a quart. My 2018 improved to about 3,000/qt by about 30,000 miles (then it got wrecked :( ).

On the bright side the fuel economy is excellent considering the size, and it's at least adequate in every other respect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2019 Ltd. Now, looking to make it stand out in the parking lot. Wife's daily driver, so cant go crazy. She agreed to the OME lift, and fresh wrangler take-offs. Also looking for engine performance upgrades.

Fly fishing, Archery Hunting, Sail boating, trail crawling..

Mike
Flat Lands of AZ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just picked up a 2019 Ltd. Now, looking to make it stand out in the parking lot. Wife's daily driver, so cant go crazy. She agreed to the OME lift, and fresh wrangler take-offs. Also looking for engine performance upgrades.

Fly fishing, Archery Hunting, Sail boating, trail crawling..

Mike
Flat Lands of AZ

1 inch spacers and 17 inch xd rims

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up a 2018 Compass Sport for my daughter and looking to do a few modifications to it....nothing too aggressive especially with her driving record.....lol
Located in Ohio

·
1,039 Posts
Picked up a 2018 Compass Sport for my daughter and looking to do a few modifications to it....nothing too aggressive especially with her driving record.....lol
Located in Ohio
Welcome to you and your daughter. This might be a good time to teach her about checking the oil. These 2nd generation Compasses are noted for oil consumption.

Her driving record? My first car was a Ford Falcon (ultra-slowmobile). I remember the day I drove it home with Dad. It had been about a 2 mile drive with ups & downs from town when Dad asked how fast it would go. (Note, this is Father asking son how fast his car will go!) I said I'd been accelerating since we'd left downtown! LOL. I'd gotten it up to about 35MPH.

Oh yeah, Happy Father's Day! I hope your daughter at least got you a card.

581 - 600 of 611 Posts