My Jeep Compass Forum banner
661 - 680 of 718 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,847 Posts
Hello newb here with a 2008 Compass North. Shes dead in the water - 13 codes that cannot be erased and now not even running. I'm hoping to revive her.

Welcome, mzak88!

Post your questions in the Repairs--Electrical Problems and Questions.

Or enter a code in the search box above. It is camouflaged as "Search Community." Enter a code and the search engine should turn up any mention of that code on this site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, new here. Got my compass after wrecking a patriot and have been looking at ways of making it better. I have never been one to leave a vehicle stock and have a bad habit of pushing vehicles further offroad than they should probably go.I am hoping that this thing will hold up to the tasks I put it to.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle
Car Tire Jeep grand cherokee Wheel Plant
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome. Keep everyone posted of your mods and accessorizing.
well I already found out that the steel wheels from a Cherokee KL don't fit over the brake calipers of the trailhawk even though they have all of the same measurements as stock wheels lol. needed a small spacer ( temporary solution) to make them work because I bought them to mount my snow tires on. just something other than a black steel winter wheel. other than that I haven't really touched much. added a roof basket but I plan to build one specific to the roof dimensions of this vehicle and a low profile so I can either put my hard cases on the roof or kayaks and give myself a place to possibly mount my high lift and a shovel ( I have a TJ so the hi lift moves back and forth depending on the trip). maybe a small lift and bigger tires if my wife will let me lmao.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Limited
3 Posts
Hey all, I'm the proud owner of a brand new-to-me 2018 Compass Limited as of today. I'm already thinking about modifications (mostly roof rails and a storage rack - so if y'all have suggestions of your favorites please sent them my way!

·
Super Moderator
1,847 Posts
Hey all, I'm the proud owner of a brand new-to-me 2018 Compass Limited as of today. I'm already thinking about modifications (mostly roof rails and a storage rack - so if y'all have suggestions of your favorites please sent them my way!
Welcome! FYI, keep a close eye on your dipstick. If you're not aware some (only some, not all) of the 2017s and 2018s have an oil consumption problem. FCA has just issued a recall so if they can find you as a second owner you may get the recall notice. If not, I suggest you visit a Jeep dealer and ask about it.

Not to worry, my 2018 had the oil problem but I was able to cope with it. I still liked it enough to buy another Compass after it got totaled. The replacement 2019 doesn't use any oil at all.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass Limited
3 Posts
Welcome! FYI, keep a close eye on your dipstick. If you're not aware some (only some, not all) of the 2017s and 2018s have an oil consumption problem. FCA has just issued a recall so if they can find you as a second owner you may get the recall notice. If not, I suggest you visit a Jeep dealer and ask about it.

Not to worry, my 2018 had the oil problem but I was able to cope with it. I still liked it enough to buy another Compass after it got totaled. The replacement 2019 doesn't use any oil at all.
Good to know! I just got it Certified Used from a local Jeep dealer, so I think I should be clear on the recall. But I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. I appreciate the heads up! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
New compass owners, but not new Jeep Owners. My wife and I just recently picked up our 2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk in Spitfire Orange. It's definitely come in handy in Texas the past few days. We've got about a foot of snow over the past few days. Looking forward to making it our own and using it in up coming camping and kayaking adventures.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 Pearl Blue
5 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4. Bright blue. Seems loaded to me. Soon to be my new fav. Though I miss the stick.

Previously owned a 2010 Jeep Compass bright green, no bells or whistles, with a stick shift. FWD. Hated to get rid of it couple years ago, the trans started going. Was my favorite vehicle. It went everywhere, never got stuck in snow.

·
Registered
Jeep Compass 2.2 CRD 4x4 Limited 70th Anniversary - 2011
13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody! I'm new here. I recently bought a used, grey 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude. I don't know much about vehicles as I'm not mechanically inclined, but it's an automatic, six-speed, and AWD with the button that can lock into 4wd or switch into snow, mud, or sand mode. Although it's a Latitude, it came with a few higher-trim features like a heated steering wheel and seat (which I now realize is a necessity). As of now it's got 55,000 miles on it.

It's my first Jeep, my first SUV, my first vehicle with 4wd/AWD, and my first vehicle I purchased through financing. As of right now, I have enough money to pay the monthly interest payments for the loan, but I probably won't be financially ready for any sudden repair bills until this whole pandemic dies down, so it's got me super-nervous that something bad might happen.

My previous car was a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, so yeah, it's been a big change for me! I live in the mountains of western New England, and my family got sick of saving me every time I got stuck in the snow, so they kind of made me buy it. It looks like the snow is finally gone up here, so I'll have to wait until next winter to test it out in the snow, but it handled a muddy backroad pretty well.

Whenever I lookup videos of how it handles the snow, I mostly get videos of the Trailhawk version. I probably won't be doing any off-roading since I'm terrified of ruining it before I pay off the loan, but the roads in my area are pretty rough, so I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the lower trim levels handling snowstorms. If anybody also knows if there's anything I can do to keep it running smoothly, I'd deeply appreciate it. The place I bought it from said there's no recalls on it, but I'm wondering if I should ask about the whole transmission fluid thing, since it'll be close to 60,000 miles at the next oil change. Also, I've been getting SiriusXM radio for free so far, and it drives me crazy over whether it's a trial, but I'm afraid to ask :(

I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

·
Super Moderator
1,847 Posts
Welcome @Anxious Driver! A few things make me curious. If you have the automatic transmission, I'm thinking you have the ZF 9-speed, not a 6-speed. The maintenance schedule says 120,000 miles, but I'd say do it before that, especially as a second owner since you don't know how it was used previously.

A friendly warning. Some (not all) of the 2nd generation Compasses had oil consumption problems. That may be how yours found its way onto a used car lot. Many people couldn't cope and sold their vehicles early. Don't panic.
1) Keep a close eye on your dipstick, i.e., check it every time you fuel up.
2) Jeep has just issued a recall to correct the oil consumption, but as a second owner you may not get the notice or it may have gone to the previous owner. If you didn't buy from a Jeep dealer, they may not have known about the recall. Any Jeep dealer should be able to tell you if it's been done, or if not, they could do it for you. Since this is a recall there shouldn't be a charge. This is actually a software update so it's not like they're going to tear apart your engine. From what I'm seeing on this site, the update is curing the oil consumption problem.
3) Your Jeep may not have the problem. As I said above, most didn't.

The Compass is very competent in snow, but the OEM tires are not very good in snow. I gather you're in the Berkshires, so in that area I suspect real snow tires are a necessity. AWD is great for starting up on a hill or going through deep snow, but snow tires will help with braking and cornering.

Again, welcome! I hope you enjoy your Compass.

PS, my 2018 Compass got wrecked and junked in 2019 but I just got my recall letter for it a couple weeks ago so the corp doesn't always know where cars are today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everybody! I'm new here. I recently bought a used, grey 2018 Jeep Compass Latitude. I don't know much about vehicles as I'm not mechanically inclined, but it's an automatic, six-speed, and AWD with the button that can lock into 4wd or switch into snow, mud, or sand mode. Although it's a Latitude, it came with a few higher-trim features like a heated steering wheel and seat (which I now realize is a necessity). As of now it's got 55,000 miles on it.

It's my first Jeep, my first SUV, my first vehicle with 4wd/AWD, and my first vehicle I purchased through financing. As of right now, I have enough money to pay the monthly interest payments for the loan, but I probably won't be financially ready for any sudden repair bills until this whole pandemic dies down, so it's got me super-nervous that something bad might happen.

My previous car was a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, so yeah, it's been a big change for me! I live in the mountains of western New England, and my family got sick of saving me every time I got stuck in the snow, so they kind of made me buy it. It looks like the snow is finally gone up here, so I'll have to wait until next winter to test it out in the snow, but it handled a muddy backroad pretty well.

Whenever I lookup videos of how it handles the snow, I mostly get videos of the Trailhawk version. I probably won't be doing any off-roading since I'm terrified of ruining it before I pay off the loan, but the roads in my area are pretty rough, so I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the lower trim levels handling snowstorms. If anybody also knows if there's anything I can do to keep it running smoothly, I'd deeply appreciate it. The place I bought it from said there's no recalls on it, but I'm wondering if I should ask about the whole transmission fluid thing, since it'll be close to 60,000 miles at the next oil change. Also, I've been getting SiriusXM radio for free so far, and it drives me crazy over whether it's a trial, but I'm afraid to ask :(

I'm looking forward to learning from you all!
I have found mine works great in the snow. Sometimes on the odd corner on a weird slope it can feel like the back end is pushing the front but I havnt had that often.
I do have a trailhawk version but very rarely use the options that make it a trailhawk, at least not yet lol. Only issue I have had with mine was away bar links replaced under warranty, and a secondary battery also replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all. Rocky here. I just got a 2020 Compass after owning a 2016 Patriot. I switched to Jeep because before that I had a Subaru Forester that made my life a living Hell. Everything failed on that car. A new problem every couple of months. And I bought it brand new too! Anyway I've always driven a stick (the Patriot included) and the Complass has an automatic. I don't really love it but I'm trying to get used to it.

·
Registered
2019 compass sport 4x4 6 speed manual
121 Posts
Hi all. Rocky here. I just got a 2020 Compass after owning a 2016 Patriot. I switched to Jeep because before that I had a Subaru Forester that made my life a living Hell. Everything failed on that car. A new problem every couple of months. And I bought it brand new too! Anyway I've always driven a stick (the Patriot included) and the Complass has an automatic. I don't really love it but I'm trying to get used to it.
[/
Welcome @Anxious Driver! A few things make me curious. If you have the automatic transmission, I'm thinking you have the ZF 9-speed, not a 6-speed. The maintenance schedule says 120,000 miles, but I'd say do it before that, especially as a second owner since you don't know how it was used previously.

A friendly warning. Some (not all) of the 2nd generation Compasses had oil consumption problems. That may be how yours found its way onto a used car lot. Many people couldn't cope and sold their vehicles early. Don't panic.
1) Keep a close eye on your dipstick, i.e., check it every time you fuel up.
2) Jeep has just issued a recall to correct the oil consumption, but as a second owner you may not get the notice or it may have gone to the previous owner. If you didn't buy from a Jeep dealer, they may not have known about the recall. Any Jeep dealer should be able to tell you if it's been done, or if not, they could do it for you. Since this is a recall there shouldn't be a charge. This is actually a software update so it's not like they're going to tear apart your engine. From what I'm seeing on this site, the update is curing the oil consumption problem.
3) Your Jeep may not have the problem. As I said above, most didn't.

The Compass is very competent in snow, but the OEM tires are not very good in snow. I gather you're in the Berkshires, so in that area I suspect real snow tires are a necessity. AWD is great for starting up on a hill or going through deep snow, but snow tires will help with braking and cornering.

Again, welcome! I hope you enjoy your Compass.

PS, my 2018 Compass got wrecked and junked in 2019 but I just got my recall letter for it a couple weeks ago so the corp doesn't always know where cars are today.
sorry to hear about not getting a manual, they stopped making them for the 2019 model year. I have a manual compass myself and prefer it over the automatic.

·
Registered
2019 Compass Trailhawk
6 Posts
What’s up y’all, my name is Seth and I just picked up a 19’ Trailhawk in Billet Silver.
Tinted it today and swapped all the interior lights for LEDs. Have my 2” spacers in hand and the 2” lift with 235/65r17 ATs will be here by this weekend. Should be receiving my Pedal commander tomorrow along with my upgraded OEM HID headlights.
looking to go intake and 68mm throttle body and headers with straight pipe into a magnaflow.
loads of other aux lights and rack to come.

661 - 680 of 718 Posts