My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed my latest mod yesterday, a Class II hitch. I called up the local Jeep dealer, they wanted $208 for the hitch. So I called a friend of mine who can get me deals on parts and he could get me a Hidden Hitch for $129. So that's what I went with.

It looks nice. What I really like is that I didn't need to cut out a bit of the rear bumper. It bolted right up, no cutting. 4 bolts and I was done.

I have the Mopar wiring harness, I'm not going to have a chance to do that today. But that's another story.

·
Registered
80 Posts
very nice!

it bolts right to the frame? nothing to mess around with?

sounds like an easy installation!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
And works great. I have one I haul my Vespa on. My two favorite things, It is not an eyesore and your knees are no longer in danger. :wink:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 bolts, that's it. Put them in, snug to 100 lb-ft of torque and you're done. For the hitch, that is.

The wiring is a whole 'nother issue :)

The wiring involves drilling a 1.5" hole into the hatch floor, running wires underneath all the way to the front, tapping into a connector, and wiring it direct to the battery. It's a bit more involved. But I don't need to tow a trailer until spring (Yamaha Waverunner toy), so there's no rush to get the wiring done. I'm debating whether I'll do it myself or take it to the dealer... not sure what they'd charge for that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Webmaster said:
The wiring involves drilling a 1.5" hole into the hatch floor, running wires underneath all the way to the front, tapping into a connector, and wiring it direct to the battery. It's a bit more involved. I'm debating whether I'll do it myself or take it to the dealer... not sure what they'd charge for that.
You know, that even with as much satisfaction as I get doing a job myself, and saving some do-re-mi at the same time, I don't think I would touch anything involved with the vehicle electronics . . . at least while the car is new or under manufacturers warrentee.
Should any problems arrise down the road, involving the electronics, engine preformance, sensing systems, etc . . . the dealer will be very quick to lay the rap on you that you voided the warrentee by doing the modification.

I have heard stories from a friend of mine who used to be a BMW service manager, and many problems can and do arrise with the original equipment due to aftermarket work. Often it can be very difficult to find the source of a problem and at least if the dealer is involved in the work originally they then can be responsible. -[OIIIIIIO]-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hidden Hitch problems.

I had a Hidden Hitch II professionally installed around Feb 07. I do not tow anything but carry my bikes on it.
I had noticed weird rattling noises specially when rev of 2K-3K and after a long highway run once you exited - a heavy duty rasping/griding noise. Took it to the dealer and of course they blamed it on the Hitch.
Did not want to ruin my summer canoeing and biking so I left it on as it did not seem to have any negativity besides weird rattling noises.
Ten days a someone rear ended me with a toyota corolla right on the HItch with little or no dame to my bumper. Had to get it taken out but Presto all noises went away. Now I am considering replacing it with a Mopar Hitch when the repairs are done by paying the $50.00 diff.
Let us know if you are having the same issues as I. I intent to pursue it with Hidden Hitch too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts