My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2017 Limited with 45K miles. Beautiful looking Compass. We have 2 Renegades in the family as well so I am familiar with working on the 2.4L engine and had the similar 37mph vibration, so wasn't concerned with it, but did get the powertrain s/w updates that got rid of the vibration. 2 other issues I have noticed on the Compass that I don't have on the Renegades is a hard banging shift on occasion when accelerating on the highway, not always, but when it does happen it gives me the "WTF was that!" question in my head. The other issue I have (that went unresolved at the dealer) is a shudder around 18 mph as well as when on the highway accelerating with engine under load (like when climbing a long slope in the hills of PA). It smooths out after 25mph or when leveling off the hill. I was thinking drivetrain or engine missing, but I have no CEL on the dash. I remembered seeing in the Carfax that the dealer replaced an engine coil so I just called them to find out which one or all 4. Turns out they changed the cylinder head (not on the Carfax) and coil #3 for a "leak". Not sure why at 43K miles that was necessary but wondering why they didn't change all of the ignition coils and spark plugs, so I just ordered 4 coils and 4 plugs in hopes that will fix the shudders. Also has a rough cold start.

Any thoughts or experiences with these problems?

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks.

Keith in NJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my Compass back from the dealer for my 3rd gear shudder, which starts about 18 to 20 MPH, and once 4th hits, it seems to go away. I'll have to pay attention if it is doing at at highway speeds under a load, it may, being I attributed it to our lovely Michigan roads.

Their findings, is the "famous" S1503000001 Star case. Of course the 35 mph noise/vibration, which mine does NOT do. They told me the noise was this reasoning, and I told them it does NOT make any noise. They said the tech put it in a 4X4 mode and the shudder stopped, and it seems to do as they said, for the issues I have.

So my assumption is it may be apart of the same issue, just does it sooner than the usual 35+mph.

Of course there is still no fix, and as long as it is running and driving fine, which mine does quite well, I should not have to worry about out of warranty issues/costs, since it is now documented.

And for the curious, My compass has 82,000+ miles, and all of the latest "updates" to software have been done.........Oh yeah it used a third of a quart for the 6000 mile oil change.

·
1,040 Posts
Welcome! My 2018 Compass made a bang if I moved it into autostick mode and back out again too quickly. Sounded like someone rapped the tranny with a hammer. Just one clunk. That's note something I do very often so I haven't heard that clunk on my 2019.

I also noticed that the hum/vibration goes away in autostick. Shifting back to Drive it will stay gone for awhile then come back, maybe in a mile, maybe in an hour. Kinda hard to pin it down to a pattern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With an update. My Compass does the shudder in 2nd and 3rd, by shifting manually as well as auto., slow speed 18 to 20 mph AND locked in 4WD (or not). So it looks like it is back to the dealer or maybe the closer one near me, since my favorite write up guy left the store. Only problem is , I'll probably get hit for another $120 bill and the mystery $13 miscellaneous charges.

Or maybe just say screw it , drive it and get "used to it", which probably won't happen, cause it'll bug me too much......we'll see I guess.

Anyone else have this condition?, and has anything been resolved?

Bottom line, this is not 727 Torqueflight, and is going to take a lotta of getting used to,lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced all ignition coils and spark plugs, helped a little but still shudders around 18mph. I shifted in manual mode and it was smooth, so I'm thinking the s/w is screwing up the shifts causing the shudders. Occasionally get a hard banging shift when accelerating then lightening up on the throttle (climbing hills). Now have to get warped rotors fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not thinking it is the engine missing, it almost acts like a clutch slipping in the trans. The banging in gear that mine does on occasion is the ever so popular dog clutch engaging or should I say not engaging very well. The trans is supposed to go into neutral for a split second when it shifts into 5th, which is the dog clutch gear, and if it is not "lined up" quite right it will bang into gear. Just for giggles, when it bangs into gear, shift it into manual and see what gear it is in, mine is always 5th....dog clutch. It is the nature of the beast, and is not supposed to hurt anything, just annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts