My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I’m new to the Jeep brand and I love my new Jeep Compass! Did some small mods on it, added cross bars, blacked out my front grill, and upgraded to LED headlights (don’t even get me started on how difficult that was, lol)

Overall loving it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone!

I’m new to the Jeep brand and I love my new Jeep Compass! Did some small mods on it, added cross bars, blacked out my front grill, and upgraded to LED headlights (don’t even get me started on how difficult that was, lol)

Overall loving it!

View attachment 14478
Hey everyone!

Overall loving it!

View attachment 14478
Hi and welcome to this site. I too have a 2020 and like it despite the poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone!

Overall loving it!

View attachment 14478
I have my mods pictured in the gallery. They are the newest ones in there

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
Welcome! I hope you continue to love your Compass.

@Starboy , what's the story on your gas mileage? Mine is doing 32+MPG on the highway, and high 20s around town. Even got into the high 30s on a long easy trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! I hope you continue to love your Compass.

@Starboy , what's the story on your gas mileage? Mine is doing 32+MPG on the highway, and high 20s around town. Even got into the high 30s on a long easy trip.
If I baby it I can get about 29 MPG, About 30-32 on a trip and usually around town 23-26MPG

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
All my Nissan's Rouges, Altima's and Maxima's with much bigger powerful and faster get way better
I had a rented Santa Fe that was bigger, a bit snappier, and came close to the Compass on fuel economy, but the Compass has a much better ride and better handling.

I had a couple Bravadas that weren't all that much faster and they struggled to get much over 20MPG even when I drove easy. One blew a tranny at 50,000 miles, the other needed ball joints every other oil change! Well, I may exaggerate, but they were replaced at 30,000 and 60,000, and I sold it at 70,000 with a bad injector. So yeah, I think the Compass is the best of the lot.

I also had two Patriots. My 2008 was onto its third tranny at 280,000. I've still got a FWD 2014 Patriot I love, but it is much slower than my Compass and gets about the same fuel economy with a 2.0 5-spd. Nice thing about the Patriot is that it doesn't have any options -- I prefer it that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a rented Santa Fe that was bigger, a bit snappier, and came close to the Compass on fuel economy, but the Compass has a much better ride and better handling.

I had a couple Bravadas that weren't all that much faster and they struggled to get much over 20MPG even when I drove easy. One blew a tranny at 50,000 miles, the other needed ball joints every other oil change! Well, I may exaggerate, but they were replaced at 30,000 and 60,000, and I sold it at 70,000 with a bad injector. So yeah, I think the Compass is the best of the lot.

I also had two Patriots. My 2008 was onto its third tranny at 280,000. I've still got a FWD 2014 Patriot I love, but it is much slower than my Compass and gets about the same fuel economy with a 2.0 5-spd. Nice thing about the Patriot is that it doesn't have any options -- I prefer it that way.
Well I drove my Compass to Florida (from Buffalo, NY) for the month of February last year while it was just breaking in. I am taking it again for the month February 2021 maybe it may be better but woud not bank on it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This is as close to trolling as Jasmine gets 😄 when we can figure out how to deliver it we will award Jasmine with the annual "Slowest Compass Driver" award!

That's basically what it boils down to, your average speed for your typical driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
This is as close to trolling as Jasmine gets 😄 when we can figure out how to deliver it we will award Jasmine with the annual "Slowest Compass Driver" award!

That's basically what it boils down to, your average speed for your typical driving.
I don't think it's so much the speed as it is the acceleration. BMW did a study in the 1990s and concluded that the best fuel economy resulted from moderate acceleration to cruising speed -- neither slow nor quick, but deliberate.

I've done a few "studies" of my own and I learned that my LRR easily tires deliver about 10% better fuel economy than my snow tires. Winter/summer temperatures account for another 10%. The ideal speed seems to be in the low 60sMPH regardless of tires or temperature.

So using my vehicle as an example: (Using my EVIC that seems quite consistent with actual calculations)
I get 38MPG between 55-65MPH at 70F with LRR tires. Approx 250 mile trip.
I get 32MPG between 55-65MPH at 40F with snow tires. Approx 250 mile trip.
My record is 38MPG at 65MPH at 70F with LRR tires. Exactly 290.7 mile trip.

My impression is that people who drive 70MPH and are often accelerating to 75-80 to get ahead of other drivers and probably waste 20%, excluding other factors. They're using lower gears to accomplish the same speed they could have accomplished in a higher gear, plus the extra fuel in the process of acceleration. They'd probably do better at a constant 75MPH than they would vacillating between 70-80. If they're driving aggressively in the city where their MPG is going to be lower because they are always in lower gears, they're losing that 20% based on a lower number to start with, so yeah, they're probably only getting low to mid 20sMPG. It's not the vehicle's fault, it's how they drive.

People who drive aggressively don't always realize it. I knew a girl in college who said, "I don't drive fast; just so I'm passing everybody." My dear, that means you're the fastest car on the road!!! It never dawned on her. And yes, I said she was in college, so certainly not stupid on some level, but clearly lacking self awareness.

Finally, in my first 10 years of driving I endured two oil embargoes and the resulting gasoline shortages. In those days I wasn't so much worrying about the cost of my fuel as I was worrying about even being able to buy gas when I needed it. I necessarily formed good habits.

End of rant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi and welcome to this site. I too have a 2020 and like it despite the poor gas mileage.
I think you might be confused like I was when I bought mine months ago. Previously I had a Grand Cherokee so it was a shock. What I didn’t realize about the Compass is the tiny fuel tank. It will appear to get poor gas mileage but it is the small tank that is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
I think you might be confused like I was when I bought mine months ago. Previously I had a Grand Cherokee so it was a shock. What I didn’t realize about the Compass is the tiny fuel tank. It will appear to get poor gas mileage but it is the small tank that is the culprit.
The first generation Compass had a very small gas tank; depending on driving style a full tank might only get 200-250 miles/tank. Our FWD Patriot (sister to the Compass) with a 2.0, 5-spd gets about 325 miles/tank. Our second generation Compass gets more like 400 miles/tank. The Patriot and the Compass get identical fuel economy, so it's only the tank size that delivers more miles/tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No I am using mpg not fuel consumption. Most every Mopar I ever owned got poor fuel consumption with the worse being my hemi pickup trucks. Back in the day.... the slant six cylinders got excellent gas mileage. Think about 32 mpg on my 1968, 1972 dodge darts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts