My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice there is no gas cap for the 2019 (I assume this is the same on other Jeeps now), just a flap over the filler. I'm curious if that causes fueling issues for anyone, and if its a security concern to stop gas thieves (even though I assume there is anti siphon technology built in.)

cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is considered a convenience feature. It does have anti-siphon AFAIK. A traditional gas cap alone would do nothing to stop gas thieves so I'm not sure where your concern comes from. Some cars have locking fuel doors but rarely locking caps (outside of aftermarket accessory).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our 2019 model truck has the same system. I have noticed that some of the gas ends up on the outside of the door flap and exposed to the air to evaporate and further destroy the planet. It seems to me that with the old style twist cap it was easier to keep the gas from being exposed.

Reactions: kiwicalifornia

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is considered a convenience feature. It does have anti-siphon AFAIK. A traditional gas cap alone would do nothing to stop gas thieves so I'm not sure where your concern comes from. Some cars have locking fuel doors but rarely locking caps (outside of aftermarket accessory).
Not really a concern, I was just curious. I did read in another thread that some easy fill systems had issues of the nozzles getting stuck, but that seemed to be a few years ago. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't mind the lack of a gas cap. Just wish it was combined with a locking fuel door (the one I had on my Cherokee had to be opened by an electric release on the driver's door). Cherokee had locking fuel door and standard gas cap. Compass fuel door doesn't lock and there is no option for a locking cap. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I've been known to be unreasonable lol!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts