My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know where to post this question as to there is no subtopic for heating/cooling.

today I needed heat Bc of the raining, windshield fogged up. To my surprise it was very cold. The knob for selector/position works. Blower works fine. Just no heat. I changed out the thermostats already. So anyone got something I can check?

I really haven’t driven it a lot bc from late spring, summer I ride my motorcycle to work, wife working from home I use her car more. Think it can be Bc it sat for awhile?

14 latitude 2.4 50***mi,

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
Is your temp gauge giving you normal readings? If it's fluctuating there could be air in your system. Even if it's not fluctuating there still could be air in your system. That's my guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your temp gauge giving you normal readings? If it's fluctuating there could be air in your system. Even if it's not fluctuating there still could be air in your system. That's my guess.
Yep normal reading. nothing new. I am gonna check heater hoses to heater core to see f they are getting hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also check: The heater/cooling flapper door sometimes will get stuck in the cooling position. It can usually be seen up under the dash "near" (slightly up and to the right) the accelerator. With the engine running, turn the heat/cool knob from full cool to full heat; you should see the flapper door plastic/nylon lever move when you turn the heat/cool knob. If not, the lever might just be stuck - Mine got that way since a previous owner had applied some grease to the lever and it froze up with hardened grease and dirt. By LIGHTLY wiggling the flapper door lever and cleaning off the grease, I was able to get the lever to move at the same time as I moved the knob. That was over a year ago and no repeat of the issue. True mine is a '13 Pat but it's a near twin for many things.
This picture shows the heat/cool flapper door lever at the top - the banana shapped white plastic/nylon piece. That's what you want to lightly rap on with your nuckle and maybe wiggle LIGHTLY. Don't break it, use no tools to pry it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try this: remove the AC/heater fuse for one minute (it powers down the processor that controls the HVAC). Afterward you replace the fuse,, set the heater on high and let it run for a couple of mins. This can reset the system. Also check to see if the door is stuck (see comment above).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try this: remove the AC/heater fuse for one minute (it powers down the processor that controls the HVAC). Afterward you replace the fuse,, set the heater on high and let it run for a couple of mins. This can reset the system. Also check to see if the door is stuck (see comment above).
I took it to my mechanic on Monday. He said and put in a new actuator. But today I notice that temp gauge doesnt move. It says that the vehicle is cold. I let run before I used, did a cpl errands in town. I happen to look at gauge and said “that’s not right”. And also when I 1 st it up for the day. It’s a got crappy idle, sorta misfire, rpm is running abt 700. Where it should be 500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also check: The heater/cooling flapper door sometimes will get stuck in the cooling position. It can usually be seen up under the dash "near" (slightly up and to the right) the accelerator. With the engine running, turn the heat/cool knob from full cool to full heat; you should see the flapper door plastic/nylon lever move when you turn the heat/cool knob. If not, the lever might just be stuck - Mine got that way since a previous owner had applied some grease to the lever and it froze up with hardened grease and dirt. By LIGHTLY wiggling the flapper door lever and cleaning off the grease, I was able to get the lever to move at the same time as I moved the knob. That was over a year ago and no repeat of the issue. True mine is a '13 Pat but it's a near twin for many things.
This picture shows the heat/cool flapper door lever at the top - the banana shapped white plastic/nylon piece. That's what you want to lightly rap on with your nuckle and maybe wiggle LIGHTLY. Don't break it, use no tools to pry it.
I took it to my mechanic on Monday. He said and put in a new actuator. But today I notice that temp gauge doesnt move. It says that the vehicle is cold. I let run before I used, did a cpl errands in town. I happen to look at gauge and said “that’s not right”. And also when I 1 st it up for the day. It’s a got crappy idle, sorta misfire, rpm is running abt 700. Where it should be 500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts