My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Hasaf. I actually got rid of my last car back in 2006. It was a 1897 Suzuki Samurai (yes, I bought it new and it has over 300K on it). I gave it to my father when I left the county and it continues, with several scars, to serve him as a ranch truck; it has definitely been "ranched."

I returned to the states in '14 and was able to land work that didn't require me to have a car and I decided to go without. When I need to go somewhere it is easy enough to take the light rail straight to the airport. One of the reasons I bought a house where I did was the easy access to the light rail.

All that being said, one of the places I regularly need to go to is having a lot of disruptions in its commercial air transportation. As such I find myself needing a car.

My father offered to return the Samurai; but I had to be realistic. It is a 30 year old car with over 300K and has spent the more than the last ten years in a commercial, off road, environment . . . and it looks every bit of it . . . his offer got a, "thanks dad; but it looks like you are getting a lot of use out of it where it is."

There is also the reality that about the only use I have planned for this car is several trips a year from Salt Lake to an oil field town in Kansas. However, that would be a real long drive in a Samurai.

I found a 2014 Compass Latitude that looks and drives well. The price is rational and the local Jeep dealer gave it a thumbs up (and no, I am not buying it from them). It will carry what I need and seems to fit my needs.

Frankly, one of my biggest concerns is that there seems to be that there is no good place to mount a 2-way radio. I looked at this site and see very little on radio installs. If anyone has any experience doing 2-way installs I would love to hear some advise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ditto. I want to put a VHF radio in, just not sure where to gracefully mount it. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone's added a two-way radio to a 2017.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts