My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and this might be very common but I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk and every time i accelerate and get to 35 to 40 MPH I hear something sound like it is revving up. The engine isn't, but sounds similar to an engine revving up Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rear drive unit. Have the dealership check it out. There's a software update for it, but if it's bad enough they may replace it completely.

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Your description is a little confusing. I wouldn't call it revving, but my 2018 made a soft grinding noise in that speed range and as @RadRacer said, it's related to the AWD system. In my case I could make the noise go away if I switched off the ESC (this is a safety device, so turning it off is not a solution) or moved into autostick mode (with a 9-spd this is a nuisance). Yes, there is a software update. It is TSB 08-095-18. I was still under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime. I got that done and it moved the noise up to around 50MPH where road noise pretty much drowns it out. I presume FCA implemented this "fix" on later models because my 2019 doesn't make the noise, or as I said, it may be at a higher speed where it can't be heard.

PS, when I asked about the TSB my dealer hadn't heard about it until I gave him the number.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine also has a "spooling up" noise about 48ish MPH. The dealer said all the TSB's were done, so I assume mine starting a little later explains the higher speed noise. Like Jasmine said, at the higher speed it does drown out with the natural drivetrain noises pretty quickly, or just turn the traction control off, or shift into manual, or turn the auto 4X4 on, and it goes away also. I am at about 95K on the clock, so I would think it is not effecting longevity, just an annoying noise FCA missed during development.

The other annoying thing mine does is a 18MPH shake, which the dealer of course has no good explanation. They blame it on the same issue as the "spooling up" noise.....which I doubt.

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
I would think it is not effecting longevity, just an annoying noise FCA missed during development.

The other annoying thing mine does is a 18MPH shake, which the dealer of course has no good explanation. They blame it on the same issue as the "spooling up" noise.....which I doubt.
If you've ever been in a Subaru, those things make our Compasses sound quiet! My cousin has one and I warned her I thought she had a wheel bearing going south. She said, no, her dealer said it was "normal." FCA isn't the only company that has that explanation. A few weeks ago I was in a friends Subaru and heard the same noise. I didn't say anything.

Yeah, the shake or wobble. I'd blamed that on the tires being cold in the morning, but I've noticed mid-day after driving significant distances. I wonder what that's about?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I guess it's good that Subaru's are just as, if not noisier than our Jeeps, especially being they have been doing four wheel drive vehicles as long as they have been in business! (but I guess Jeep's are kind of in the same boat)

Yeah, I wish the 18MPH shake was just the tires. It pretty much does it all the time, in whatever conditions. I did notice when I had it on a hoist, that the drive shaft mid ship bearing mount has a ton of movement. Not sure if it supposed to be like that, or if the rubber broke down and softened up. I'm just wondering if this condition is attributing to the drive line shake.

I was going to change it out for giggles, just to see, but of course they list THREE different versions for the same application, so it's going to be a bit more involved.
Probably going to to the female shopper trick.... buy all three and take the ones you don't want back, ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Huh. My 2018 has been doing the same thing lately since about the 55K kms mark. It's so noticeable I immediately glance down to the tachometer since it sounds like it just downshifted, only to see no change in the RPMs. It doesn't do it every time, but probably about every 3 times I take it out. It's out of warranty now (61K kms) so it'll be staying there until the lease is up unless the drivetrain warranty will cover it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts