My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been getting this noise while turning the steering wheel after driving an hour or so, the noise sounds like its from the left side of the vehicle. It originally sounded really high near the strut mounts so those where replaced but this noise is still present.

After investing more if I hold the steering column I can feel vibration when the noise is occurring. I can not tell if the noise is coming from the rack and pinion or the inner tire rod. I feel faint vibrations on the struts and tire rods

The noise completely disappears after the car is parked after 20 minutes or so and will reappear after driving an hour or so. I have also noticed the noise disappears or diminishes when the out side temperature drops beloved 35 degrees.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I sounds to me you have air in your power steering/ rack & pinion. Have them bleed the system of air.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
231 Posts
I sounds to me you have air in your power steering/ rack & pinion. Have them bleed the system of air.
Not possible with the 2nd generation Compasses, they use an electric motor for assist, there is no hydraulic system to get air into.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The power steering motor is up under the dash. Item 2 in Pic. Sounds like your noise is gear or motor related in that area.
This pic is from the 2018 Jeep factory service manual.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not possible with the 2nd generation Compasses, they use an electric motor for assist, there is no hydraulic system to get air into.
Dumb A-- me I knew that Thanks for straightening out mistake. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
1 Posts
Hello, I have been getting this noise while turning the steering wheel after driving an hour or so, the noise sounds like its from the left side of the vehicle. It originally sounded really high near the strut mounts so those where replaced but this noise is still present.

After investing more if I hold the steering column I can feel vibration when the noise is occurring. I can not tell if the noise is coming from the rack and pinion or the inner tire rod. I feel faint vibrations on the struts and tire rods

The noise completely disappears after the car is parked after 20 minutes or so and will reappear after driving an hour or so. I have also noticed the noise disappears or diminishes when the out side temperature drops beloved 35 degrees.

Any suggestions?

For more information about jeep steering stabilizer reviews please visit the website here jeepequipment.com/jeep-wrangler-steering-stabilizers/
Air trapped in the system can cause premature failure on the pump, hard steering, fluid cavitation, and a whining pump. DO NOT drive the vehicle without bleeding the system as you do risk damaging the pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Air trapped in the system can cause premature failure on the pump, hard steering, fluid cavitation, and a whining pump. DO NOT drive the vehicle without bleeding the system as you do risk damaging the pump.
I appreciate your suggestion but the vehicle has electric steering.

At this time it appears the issue might with the rack and pinion yoke ( the pre-load ) mechanism.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update*

I fixed the issue, at this point it appeared to be the rack and pinion I did some research and came across a bwm forum that people were experiencing the issues I was and they lubricated the rack and pinion gear teeth.

So I did that a few days ago I removed the inner tired rod boot on the driver side and turned the wheel to expose the rack and pinion teeth and lubricated the teeth and shaft with valvoline red grease and I haven't experienced the issue at all! For fingers crossed this is the fix.

Now I do have two 2018 jeep compasses and so I inspected the other jeep that wasn't having the issue and its rack and pinion teeth and shaft and it was well lubercated and the other was bone dry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for clarifying. Is this something that needs regular maintenance on electronic assisted rack and pinion steering?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm from understanding no, the mechanic that originally examined my vehicle stated that its possible there wasn't enough grease applied at the manufacturer. So time tell. I did read through the BWM forum that I came across-the-board originally for the solution and there has been any other comments on the long-term prognosis of their rack and pinions after this re-lubercation process. If anything happens to mine down the road I'll update here, but for now im so thankful the noise is gone for about two weeks now.

Now to figured out my final issue which deals with my lanesense 😆.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts