My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Noise Report

13K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  tripplec 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just want to report that I am hearing a noise that sounds like a spring popping.

It seems to happen when I reverse and turn the wheel and tonight it when I turned into my driveway (which has a small bump). It has happend on level pavement as well too. I have about 3000 kms on it but I figure I would point it out to other 2011 owners.

It does not happen when going over speed bumps nor does it creak it seems only when the wheel is turned. It is also intermittent, I cannot reproduce it consistently .

I am going to have it looked at but I was just letting other know.

"G"

#2 ·
Try bouncing the front if you can or lift and pushing down from the wheel well.
I had a steel snapping sound in my Caravan years ago and it felt like the torsion bar was cracked. I could feel in while holding and bouncing the vehicle.

It turned out to be the bar bushings clamp weren't tight enough on the bushings. The pressure with the movement generated the sound. I eventually replaced the clamps and rubber bushings and never had it happen again.

However, its pretty early in the life of yours to have that problem.

#3 ·
Results

Hi,

Tried to bounce car but no sound, went over speed bumps no sound.

Backed out of a parking spot turning steering wheel the left and it made the noise. Car was parked running for about 2 minutes.

Yesterday as I turned into my driveway (small curb about 1.5 inches) and while steering turned to right, it made the noise.

So far it seems that noise only happens while my wheel is turn (note wheel is not turned all the way to the lock) maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turned.

The frustrating part is I cannot reproduce it consistently, which I hope does not equal many visits to the dealer.

"G"

#4 ·
Update

Hi,

Went for Oil Change today. Had the suspension checked out but they could not find anything wrong.

The noise is still there, I will keep my eye/ear on it.

"G"

#5 ·
Did they test drive it to try and replicate the sound? I agree, way too early for you to be having problems.

- Cherokee

#6 · (Edited)
"THEY" ??? Dealer checked it?

With the wheel turned it could be in a CV joint on either shaft or wheel hub bearing since its requiring some lateral stress it seems. Those are areas working much harding on turns then going straight.

You vehicle is way too new for a wearing fault. There is a defective part somewhere from the build. They just have to keep looking. If you come up with a way to repeat the sound driving then they should be able to find it.

#7 ·
Noise - Additional Info

Hi,

Sorry, they [the dealer] checked it. I am trying to replicate this problem so I can pull the mechanic/advisor in and then have him hear it, but that's going to require a bit more time.

Just thinking, if it was the CV joint or related would this notice not happen when ever I am moving and have the steering turned more than halfway ?

My main goal was to have it documented on a service report so in the future they can't say that I was either negligent or anything along those lines.

I am hearing in the patriot forums that there is an issue with Camber Bolts and that people are having alignment problems. Could this be causing the noise?

Any input appreciated

"G"

#8 ·
When moving slow or very very slow the binding or play (whatever it is) can go in an out and generate the offending sound. Thats not always the case when parts are moving fast and the sound may minimized or not occur at all. It would have to be quite bad for that to happen whenever you move or turn the wheel.

No knowing where its coming from make it difficult to suggest more than I have to issolate it. All I can say is try various manouvers in an empty area of a parking lot trying to replicated the move you do when it does it on its own.

The mechanics should have a good idea of what could be causing it and check those points throughly for binding, play, poor fitting or mount etc and can spin and move the front end around on the hoist.

#9 ·
Update

Tripplec,

I agree with you 100% when it comes to the mechanics should be able to find it.

I will get to the bottom of this, with all the issues with suspension and front ends on these cars, I am going to be vigilant until I find it.

"G"

#10 ·
It's not up to you to be mechanically savey and find the problem or even be able to replicate it.

You report it and they need to throughly check and find the problem. Sometime taking it to a different dealer with better people gets to the bottom of it as I have done a number of times already for my issues some of which are unresolved after 9 visits and many part replacements over three dealers. I just don't let up.

Keep pushing and have the service rep indicate on the work order you have a safety concern that it may cause and accident when it fails. Then if something happens they're setup for a law suit. This will force the dealer to really go through it or they will be scr...ed if something ever happened.

#11 ·
Additional Info from Patriot forums

Hi Everyone,

There are two links on the Patriot forum that describe what I am hearing.

metal sound : finally solved !! - Jeep Patriot Forums

Front end rattles, bangs and clunks (some solved, some not) - Jeep Patriot Forums

The symptoms sound really close to what I am experiencing as he describes driving on bumps with steering wheel turned. And since I have experienced it when backing out of a parking lot that is flat asphalt, the pressure in the steering line may be clanging across so metal parts on the car.

Does this sound really feasible ?

"G"

#12 ·
Update

Hi Everyone,

Well I am able to pretty much reproduce the sound in two different ways.

When I reverse and get a bit of speed and then step hard on the brakes, the sound is there. Note I'm not stepping hard enough to activate ABS

I can also do it when when driving forward and step hard (again not hard enough for ABS activation) and its there.

"G"

#13 ·
I have a "whining" sound sometimes when I turn to the left. Seems it happens more when I am slowing down and turning left quick or hard or when going over a bump so that the springs in the front are extended down. Could any of this be related to my problem?

On a side note, I went to Firestone to get my oil changed to synthetic blend (I have gone there for several years and always get synthetic blend for about $22) and I had them look at the steering to see if there was anything wrong. They couldn't find anything with the steering, but found a skrew that was on the inside too close to the sidewall so that it was deemed "irrepairable". Would this be covered by my warranty? I hate to have to buy a new tire when I only have 9,000 miles on the Compass... :(

#14 ·
If you haven't done anything too it and it still the same causing tire damage. Take it you your selling dealer if possible otherwise another. It has to fixed if not assembled correctly and they should cover the tire. But they'll have to see it. Get the manager involved if required and if further call customer relations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.