My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i have a grinding, rattling, whining sound coming from under my hood. Up until today it was just making that noise then it started making a new noise where it sounded like something was unthreading then all of a sudden all my dashboard lights came on and i hurried up and parked the car. As i put the car in park then my car just started accelerating on its own. What could this be? My janky repair guy thought it was the alternator but i need a second opinion cause when i unplugged one wire on my battery my car never died.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello,
i have a grinding, rattling, whining sound coming from under my hood. Up until today it was just making that noise then it started making a new noise where it sounded like something was unthreading then all of a sudden all my dashboard lights came on and i hurried up and parked the car. As i put the car in park then my car just started accelerating on its own. What could this be? My janky repair guy thought it was the alternator but i need a second opinion cause when i unplugged one wire on my battery my car never died.
What year and modle do u have also the milage would be help full also and info on how u drive %offroad %Highway all come into facters and the accelerating on its own is very weird

·
Registered
25 Posts
The altenator decoupler is a know fail point. Contact your dealership if your under warranty they should replace it for you. Make sure to replace the whole alternator, because when the decoupler bearing fails it allows the fileing's from the faulty bearing to enter the coil of the alternator. Ive had mine replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The altenator decoupler is a know fail point. Contact your dealership if your under warranty they should replace it for you. Make sure to replace the whole alternator, because when the decoupler bearing fails it allows the fileing's from the faulty bearing to enter the coil of the alternator. Ive had mine replaced under warranty.
EDIT* oh just noticed how old this thread is, im sure youve figured it out by now

i also had to replace my alternator bc of this.

OP, as i was reading i was almsot sure it was your ADP/alternator until you said your car started accelerating on its own. also if you unhooked alt cable from batt while running and the car ran fine it is further proof your Alt is fine

sry, kinda stumped on this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts