My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
'19 Trailhawk, 18mo. in service with 26.6k miles. Cold start in garage;engine immed shut off; engine immed fired up on restart; screen filled with the ESS fail text message. Drove about a week with warning light on but no drive ability issues. Had good service experience - 1pm service appointment; out the door about 2:30 with new aux batt installed. Not pleasing to hear service advisor commenting 'we go thru quite a few of these batteries'

Registered
My aux battery is always fully charged ever since I permanently disabled the ESS system 馃榿 I used to get all kinds of errors like that once a week or so on a cold start in the morning, but not for over a year now!

Super Moderator
Get an odyssey battery to replace the ess one with, the mopar batteries are trash

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Just to address your comments, I've searched and read most threads/posts dealing with ESS 'issues' (not encouraging reading!). That's included a few descriptions to disconnect/interrupt ESS activation. Am not going to do any mods which could disqualify the Jeep receiving service(s) while under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

And while we can get 'free' battery replacements, not laying out $$s to buy other branded battery(s) at this time. Honestly, Tyler , I hadn't really heard of the Odyssey brand. So I searched, opened the company's web site and took a good look at their products. Impressive. Curious, I did their vehicle search to find their battery(s) applicable to the '19 Compass. They have selections for the main battery and for "Auxiliary for Stop Start". Selecting their Auxiliary listing I got this response: "Listing is not offered at this time. Please check actual vehicle battery and contact Odyssey "

Registered
Am not going to do any mods which could disqualify the Jeep receiving service(s) while under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Magnuson-moss warranty act has you covered. I disabled my ESS, alarm, seatbelt chime, etc and still had plenty of regular service done in the remaining miles of the bumper to bumper warranty. They even replaced a failing radio after I had done those mods.

Registered
Welcome to the club! My second one has just failed. Of course, it just went out of warranty (at 60K kms) so it's staying like that until the lease is up next year. I can't wait to get rid of the thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts