My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Compass Trailhawk, Jeep Cross Bars, Jeep Canyon XT Roof Rack, Toyo Open Country AT3 OEM size.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya’ll,

I was wondering what everyone is using as an off-road jack. I was thinking about getting a bottle jack but I’m not sure if it will fit under my ‘18 Trailhawk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
980 Posts
Pretty sure the scissor jack is the best type for this car.

There is nowhere you can place a high lift jack to actually lift on this buggy, and a high-lift takes a lot of space and weighs a lot too.

A bottle jack is heavy, less water resistant, and in my opinion more likely to fail when a seal goes out or whatever. Just as tippy as a scissor jack, and as you already identified fits into fewer places than a scissor jack because of its extra height.

What is your issue with the scissor jack? What would be better about a bottle jack? What is an example of a situation in which you think you will need a jack at all "off road" ? (meaning, are you trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually occur in the real world?)

The only thing I want with my scissor jack is an extension and a better crank handle so I can run it from a couple feet away. I have the extension in the tool kit I typically travel with. I've never actually looked at our particular jack but as long as it has a hex head on it I'm golden. If its a loop I would swap it out with one that drives via a hex head so I can put a socket on it, but I'd still go for a scissor jack.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That looks sketchy as hell... in more ways than one.

Firstly I don't trust any spot under my car to be dull and blunt enough to not simply pop or poke a hole in something like that.

Second, using the exhaust to pump it up sounds ridiculous. Not sure if that is kosher. Wouldn't be able to on mine anyways, I have the large double tip exhaust.

Still, as weird as it looks I suppose it would technically be the easiest to use on a car buried in the mud... provided you have a model with a single exhaust tip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you see it that way, i have the air jack and it works great. Doesn't need a lot of space and is light and lifts the car without effort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts