My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Compass Trailhawk, Jeep Cross Bars, Jeep Canyon XT Roof Rack, Toyo Open Country AT3 OEM size.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya’ll,

I was wondering what everyone is using as an off-road jack. I was thinking about getting a bottle jack but I’m not sure if it will fit under my ‘18 Trailhawk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Pretty sure the scissor jack is the best type for this car.

There is nowhere you can place a high lift jack to actually lift on this buggy, and a high-lift takes a lot of space and weighs a lot too.

A bottle jack is heavy, less water resistant, and in my opinion more likely to fail when a seal goes out or whatever. Just as tippy as a scissor jack, and as you already identified fits into fewer places than a scissor jack because of its extra height.

What is your issue with the scissor jack? What would be better about a bottle jack? What is an example of a situation in which you think you will need a jack at all "off road" ? (meaning, are you trying to solve a problem that doesn't actually occur in the real world?)

The only thing I want with my scissor jack is an extension and a better crank handle so I can run it from a couple feet away. I have the extension in the tool kit I typically travel with. I've never actually looked at our particular jack but as long as it has a hex head on it I'm golden. If its a loop I would swap it out with one that drives via a hex head so I can put a socket on it, but I'd still go for a scissor jack.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That looks sketchy as hell... in more ways than one.

Firstly I don't trust any spot under my car to be dull and blunt enough to not simply pop or poke a hole in something like that.

Second, using the exhaust to pump it up sounds ridiculous. Not sure if that is kosher. Wouldn't be able to on mine anyways, I have the large double tip exhaust.

Still, as weird as it looks I suppose it would technically be the easiest to use on a car buried in the mud... provided you have a model with a single exhaust tip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you see it that way, i have the air jack and it works great. Doesn't need a lot of space and is light and lifts the car without effort

·
Registered
Laser Blue 2019 Jeep Compass Latitude, Black 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
18 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Scissors Jack is fine, add this adapter:Amazon.com: T1A Scissor Jack Adapter for 1/2 Inch Impact Wrench or 13/16 Inch Lug Wrench Adaptor, Used for Automotive Jack, RV or Trailer Leveling Jacks. New Improved More Universal Design by T1A USA: Toys & Games and you can use a 13/16" lug wrench or a 1/2" battery powered impact wrench. I use the impact wrench myself and extensions can be added so you're not bending over.
If you are using an impact wrench on a regular basis on that scissor jack (rotating tires multiple times per year, for example) it won't be long before the excess force that wrench exerts on the threaded rod plus the speed will combine to damage the threads of the rod on the jack. Speed and high force can and probably will eventually cause the threads to gall and you will have to get a new jack. It may jam or break and cause the vehicle to fall. You can try to avoid that by using less speed and lower power settings on your wrench (if it has such settings) but the potential will still be there. Just food for thought, it might take quite a few uses for that problem to crop up mostly depending on the speed and power of your tool.

A little oil on the threads of the rod always helps.

·
Registered
Laser Blue 2019 Jeep Compass Latitude, Black 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
18 Posts
I haven't seen an issue (and yes I have lower power settings). I got the idea from a buddy of mine who's a mechanic and had been doing it for years. If your threads are galling then make sure they have grease on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts