My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here and I got a 2010 Jeep Compass North 4WD (CVT2) and my first oil change light came around 4500 KM, so I call my dealer and they says it can be normal and to follow the warning light and get the oil changed. That's what I done! But now I'm only 3900 KM later (2.5 month) and my freakin' oil change light is ON again!!

So I call my dealer back and they says to replace the oil again!! WHAT THE F***!!?? The dealer says I'm not doing enough milleage daily with the car, that's why the oil change is so frequent! That's true, I only drive around 10 KM daily (5 KM in both directions).

It's something like 50$ for an oil change at the dealer... that's pretty expensive considering I have to pay that each 2.5 MONTH...

I LOVE my Jeep VERY much... but this situation is REALLY frustrating! I'm wondering if I really need to follow the oil change light or if I can AT LEAST wait for 5000 KM between oil changes?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
First I must say ............Bienvenue mon ami......glad you found us as for your issue...............ça mon ami ce n'est pas normal......I drive very little myself with the Jeep and contrary to you my light rarely goes on, my last oil change was back in June...............so the theory with the stearlership is wrong........I would return and ask them to check the OBC configuration........this is NOT normal !!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is supposed to be the "normal" oil change interval on the 2k10 Compass? Actually I just don't know at all... but I assume is a lot more than 5000 KM. Even my old 2006 Toyota Matrix have recommended oil change at every 8000 KM...

Because I also drive a brand new 2k10 Chevy Cobalt and the "normal" oil change interval is around 12,000 KM on this car and it also have the intelligent system who analyses driving conditions to adjust the oil change interval... but most people does between 9000 KM and 12,000 KM on the Cobalt.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
5K is hardly enough to get the engine up to full temp and burn clean and also burn off contaminants in the oil. so that is not unusal that it comes on. On my other vehicles I change the oil between 3000 and 4000KM depending on my driving and time of year. You need to go for a drive or walk or something if thats all you use it for.

As for their oil change and filter price. Is it synthetic oil change or regular Dino oil. Too much for Dino change but ok fro synthetic oil change. Check with outher dealers if you don't want to do it yourself. I just did three oil changes this afternoon, jeep compass, Jeep Grand cherokee, Ford Explorer. Compass is the easiest to do & GC the worst due to the horizontal filter.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I agree, the dealership has this backwards, pretty much incorrect altogether, trying to make a little extra $$$ by selling a few more oil changes. If you drive INFREQUENTLY, why would that cause you to change your oil MORE often??? Best thing to do is follow the oil change recommendations listed in your owner's manual. The oil change indicator in the Compass is duty cycle based. Try turning it off by doing the following:

Get in the vehicle and turn the key to the "On" position, but do NOT start the vehicle.
Push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times and then turn the vehicle off.
This will reset your indicator and, from that point, see how long it is before it comes back on, but what you're experiencing is not normal.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just give a read in my owner manual and there is NO oil change interval recommendation in it... only statement about oil change is "Never exceed 6,000 MILES (10K KM) between oil change".

In 2010 what is the recommended oil change interval for standard dino soil? Because 10 years ago manufacturers recommend to not exceed 5000 KM between oil change, but 10 years late a professional mechanist told me the standard dino oil is better quality and higher technology and 7000-8000 KM interval is realistic.

Actually I just give a look into my 2006 Toyota Matrix owner manual and Toyota themselves recommend oil change every 8000 KM with standard bulk dino oil (no synthetic required)... I also ask my Toyota dealer because I think it's surprising and they told me they use some Petro-Canada bulk oil (5W30) and they change it every 8000 KM on all Toyota.

So why to change my Jeep dino oil every 5000 KM??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same situation...Oil Change light/warning came on in my '10 Compass after only 4100 km. I used your method of resetting the indicator - but my question is this: as I am not familiar with this system (sorry, previous GM only owner) now that I've reset it will it come on again when it legitimately needs to be changed or does it now think that I've just changed the oil and will come on again only after a specified amount of time/mileage has passed?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You just reset it. So it will think its at zero miles on the oil. I don't go by that anyway. Just right down the millage in the blank area of the manual and check now and then. I change mine by 5000k at the latest. If you consistantly wait for the light the engine will wear out sooner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in the same situation...Oil Change light/warning came on in my '10 Compass after only 4100 km. I used your method of resetting the indicator - but my question is this: as I am not familiar with this system (sorry, previous GM only owner) now that I've reset it will it come on again when it legitimately needs to be changed or does it now think that I've just changed the oil and will come on again only after a specified amount of time/mileage has passed?
Based on my ACTUAL experience, I do reset the oil change light at around 4800 KM, then it light again a few KM later (around 5200 KM), so there's another factor for the light to come ON other than a dumb mileage counter.

BTW, the Jeep's oil change indicator seem a lot dummy than GM's indicator because on my other car (a 2k10 Chevy Cobalt), the oil change interval are calculate based on A LOT of factors and it vary pretty much each time. But on average my GM need oil change every 11,000 KM, not less and I use full synthetic oil in it because even if GM ask for dino oil into the owner manual, I think 11,000 KM on dino's is exaggerated!!

But actually as I told previously, I got three car...

- in my 2k6 Matrix XR, the owner manual tell to change oil every 8000 KM and use standard 5w30 dino oil

- in my 2k10 Chevy Cobalt LS, the owner manual tell to follow oil change indicator (it's a percentage shown in on-board computer) but average interval is 12,000 KM based on manual. They tell to use standard 5w30 dino oil either.

- in my 2k10 Jeep Compass, the owner manual aren't telling anything about recommended oil change interval, they says to follow oil change indicator, but it's a real joke because on most case, my oil change indicator came on after 4000-4500 KM.

On the Jeep it sound more like a scam to make dealer making more money changing oil!!

Does anybody can explain scientifically why Toyota recommend to change dino oil at 8000 KM, GM recommend to change every 12,000 KM and JEEP/Chrysler ask to change every 4000-5000 KM based on oil change indicator.

ONE WORD : W.T.F. ???!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well I know for fact that the normal trigger on the Jeep calculator does push higher than you are getting, Normally!!! But its based on a variety of factors that bring it down this low. Some that I am aware of is: weather (outside temp), length of drive, type of driving (short city or highway) etc.

Yes the manual if of little use and its dumb when it comes to details. You really need to call a dealer and speak to their technical people as they are the resource. Chrysler won't answer it themselves. Also the CSR are clueless anyway and wouldn't know DC from AC.

Changing the oil by 5k is the best, sooner the better. Long interval changes are not wise if you're keeping the vehicle for a long time. well past the warranty on any regardless of what they say. Problems will develop earlier and oil is cheap, and the cheapest maintenance you have to do is an oil change (I do them myself).

Now if there is something wrong with say sensor the computer will calculate the need for this change earlier and throw the light on as in your case. You can quiry the dealer on that. My last two changes were just over 5000k and no light came on. But miles are further and quite frankly 4000 miles should be your upper limit on a GOOD dino oil with a good oil filter(EG Wix).

Vehicle OEM difference
- engine design
- how quickly an acceptible the max contamination level in the oil occurs for the engine
- oil filtration capability
- engine operating temp and clean burning (cleaner yields less contaminents)
- fuel grade
- last I can think of is OEM spec's. How far each manufacturer is allowing it to go or in other words. How dirty oil is their specification for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well it was a balmy day today 8 C and no snow or rain. I checked our Compass millage to see where it was for an oil change. Wow it was at least 9000km. I did not calculate it exactly but I was shocked my wifes car had been driven that much so soon. The dash change oil had not come on which really surprised me.

I had another Wix filter and synthetic oil this time I had save for the winter oil change so its done now. But thats quite long for the computer not to have triggered it to alert me. I've only seen it come on once and because I had not reset it properly on the previous oil change so it thinks its still on the same oil.

·
Registered
265 Posts
5000km light or not oil change. Canadiantire or Walmart got oil special avery two weeks. So 25$ for 5L of Synthetic Oil and 5$ for oil filter. It's cheaper to change you oil than your engine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
5000km light or not oil change. Canadiantire or Walmart got oil special avery two weeks. So 25$ for 5L of Synthetic Oil and 5$ for oil filter. It's cheaper to change you oil than your engine.
10-4 Realtune

I usually change it around 5k but missed somehow. I only drive it now and then (my wifes). I've got her old ride the GC and do it 4-5k. I might do it tomorrow being so mild since I have a jug of Quaker State Synthetic for the Winter but its not come yet. Just over 3k on its oil now but I've been know to do change after 3k just because I felt like it and had the oil/filter. I pickup oil on sale when I see a deal on Good Name brand oil.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Whats the number that filter. Yeah sure much bigger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts