My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Last weekend I did an oil change on my 2007 Jeep Compass. I used:

MotoMaster 5w30 Engine Oil (Manufacturer says to use 5w20, but I was told 5w30 will not harm anything)
MotoMaster Supreme Motor Oil, 5 L | Canadian Tire

MotoMaster Oil Filter (I ensured the one I bought was compatible with my jeep)
MotoMaster Oil Filter | Canadian Tire

I put in roughly 4.3L of oil as per the manufacturer capacity in the owner's manual.

I'm noticing that I cannot get a firm oil level reading. It shows that there's about halfway between EMPTY and SAFE on the dipstick, however I'm not sure how such a low level is even possible. There is always a drop or two in the SAFE area of the dipstick, but nothing visually reliable.

I've been driving the car but I am noticing some minor performance issues. The engine sounds louder than before. I took it on the highway briefly, and when I went to pass someone (floored the pedal) I heard some soft clicking, followed by a rotten egg smell. I tried the same thing the next day, and it didn't happen again.

I'm confused and am starting to get a little nervous driving this car. Anyone have any suggestions? :dunno:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up adding another 1Qt to the engine and that brought the levels up to safe. Barely, but it's in the zone.

The car is running smoother now as well. Not sure how this could've come about, but I'm glad it seems to be better now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Officially" the engine requires 5 qts. of oil.
5w20 will work better for the VVT hydraulics, but 5w30 is acceptable.
Hopefully cold weather won't give any problems with 5w30 when it gets really cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts