My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Oil Change Time...

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  w4rh4wk 
#1 ·
OK folks. I'm at 4,500km and it's almost time for an oil change. Any recommendations? I'm thinking I'll just take it back to the dealer. But I've heard that you don't have to for warranty coverage....

I guess the spec is 5W20. I looked underneath and man is it ever easy to change the oil. There's easy access to the drain plug and filter. It looks like it should be pretty clean.

I usually change the oil myself but I'm debating whether I want to for oil change #1.

#4 ·
Most "Quick lubes" are 100% warranty approved as is the one I work at. just don't let them sell you something that isn't needed *ie* differential fluid changes, air filter...ect.

go in and ask if they have a computer system that will keep track of your oil changes and whatnot. also keep all your receipts in the glove box ;)

#5 ·
I called Chrysler Canada regarding the topic of self oil changes and warranty issue. I was informed that if I change the oil myself it doesnot affect the warranty. BUT (there's always a but) if something happens to the engine that leads them to believe that it could be due to lack of maintance and I can't provide proof that the oil changes were done, they may not cover the work required.

I grew up on a farm and have been changing my own oil for years. I can't stomach the idea of paying $50 after taxes for something that I can do myself for $30 after taxes.

#6 ·
I asked this question at the dealership when I got the first service done and they said the warranty is still fine as long as you keep the proof that the work was done. My next service is coming up and it is just oil and filter so I will take it somewhere other than the dealership, I was not impressed with their cost the first time.

#8 ·
I just took mine in for the 1st oil change, the dealer hosed me for $48.00!!!

But the funny thing is that the salesman who sold me the car assured me I needed only to change the oil once every 10000km, but the dealer when I changed the oil advised me to come in again in 5000km for another oil change. Who's telling the truth? :?

#10 ·
A lot of how often you change your oil depends on the climate you live in and the driving conditions, also the type of oil you use plays a part.

Being in Winnipeg it gets quite cold in the winter so I generally have the oil changed in the fall before it gets really cold and again in the spring. When you start the engine when it's -30c out the oil is a sludge in the oil pan and not lubricating properly until it warms up fully. Clean oil helps with some of that.
Also if you do a lot of city, stop and go driving it's harder on your engine and oil.
Thirdly if you're going to be using a synthetic oil you can go longer between changes, although the cost is ALOT higher.

I generally have an oil change twice a year (aproximately 5000km) like I mentioned. Once in the spring and again in the fall. Also every few years I get a engine and rad flush.

#11 ·
I do change my own oil, well up until it is to cold outside, but it has to be really cold outside to take it to someone else to do what I can at home. I have used FRAM Tough Guard filters for a long time, but they do not make one for the Compass. So I did some research and found the Purolator Pureone oil filter that is better that the Fram. The Fram Tough Guard has a 99% efficient rating, while the Purolator Pureone filter has a 99.9% efficient rating. Just wanted to pass this along, a couple extra bucks on a good filter can go a long way for the motors life span.:cool:

#12 ·
I found a great deal on oil at Walmart. I bought a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 for 20.00. There was a card attached to the bottle that you could send in and get a 15.00 Walmart gift card as a rebate. I bought to jugs and have 30.00 coming back to me. 1.00 a qt for full synthetic oil is great. The prmotion end 08/31/09. you better hurry if there is any left at you Walmart.

#13 ·
I've always changed my own oil, even before I could drive I took care of the family cars. It's something I like doing, and gives me some one-on-one time with my sons. However, I'm a little hesitant to do it with the Compass because of the warranty. The closest Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer to me sends me a $19.95 oil change coupon about every month. I may finally take him up on it and see what happens.
I'll probably still end up changing my own oil, bacause no dealer of Jiffy Lube is ever as careful as I am.

#15 ·
FYI: To reset the "change oil" notification for the next 3000 miles
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three
times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.