My Jeep Compass Forum banner

181 - 183 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told at our service department a change oil light would turn on sometime around 7,500 miles depending on driving conditions. There is another member here that had/has an issue with oil consumption you might dig to find that thread. Because this is the 2nd report of high oil consumption I just went out and checked our compass (Been checking it every week or so). It is a couple of miles short of 5k and oil is maybe 1/4 of a quart low. My guess is ours might be 1/2 low when the oil change light comes on. So I would say you are having an oil consumption issue. They have a test they do to check for this I would have them do it ASAP.
I have a 2019 Compass, and the oil light JUST came on at 7700 miles. I was beginning to think the factory never set it to go off when it was supposed to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would suspect the change oil light is just looking at miles driven since last reset and driving conditions rather than what the actual oil level is in the engine. With this in mind it might be best to check the oil level way before 7500 miles just in case you won the oil burner lottery.

·
893 Posts
I would suspect the change oil light is just looking at miles driven since last reset and driving conditions rather than what the actual oil level is in the engine. With this in mind it might be best to check the oil level way before 7500 miles just in case you won the oil burner lottery.
Right! Oil change ≠ oil level. Considering the oil problem so many Compasses have FCA ought to put a low oil level warning light on the dash. My 2001 Pontiac had one. Here we are two decades later, we have satellite radios, heaters are on a touch screen, GPS and lane-change warnings, but nothing as basic as an oil level indicator WHEN ITS A KNOWN PROBLEM! Pardon me for shouting. I'm just trying to get FCA's attention

181 - 183 of 183 Posts