My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Been reading these your reports lately on abnormal oil consumption in new jeeps, it's out of mind, totally insane and unacceptable. This should be a premium SUV not some 3rd world country scrap..

What I'd do meanwhile waiting for evental factory recall or something, I'd check valve stems, guides and seals, and piston rings and replace them with higher quality aftermarket if possible. Also, would try with with thicker oil gradually... Yeah under warranty which obviously doesn't matter a thing here. I really feel for you guys, you should maybe make some online group online Facebook or similar just to check the amplitude of this disaster.

·
845 Posts
At least I'm getting better fuel economy. Maybe I drive easier than others, but my AWD Compass is getting 31.4 average MPG since I've owned it (17,000 miles). I've checked the EVIC with actual math and it seems pretty accurate. This is about equal to my Wife's FWD 2.0 5-spd Patriot and mine does have more power than Hers does.

Checked the oil just before my oil change this morning and it was only down 1/2 quart so I think my engine is finally breaking in. I am recording the odometer reading every time I refill the oil so I'll report back when I add my next quart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those of you with oil consumption problems, did it happen right away? Was there a certain mileage where it seems to just suddenly start consuming it, or was it a gradual thing that slowly got worse? I checked mine every 500 miles when I first got it and saw no signs of oil consumption; last time I checked it was at 2500 miles, and I'm approaching 5000 miles now. Just curious if I got a good one, or if I should still be worried.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
845 Posts
Those of you with oil consumption problems, did it happen right away? Was there a certain mileage where it seems to just suddenly start consuming it, or was it a gradual thing that slowly got worse? I checked mine every 500 miles when I first got it and saw no signs of oil consumption; last time I checked it was at 2500 miles, and I'm approaching 5000 miles now. Just curious if I got a good one, or if I should still be worried.

Started from the get-go. I know that new engines can use some oil so I checked after a few hundred miles and it was down some. By 1000 miles I added a quart. Still wasn't worried and continued to check it. What surprised me is that it continued to use oil even after the first couple thousand miles, up to the present (17,000).

I think it is gradually improving, to better than 2000 to the quart, and I'm hoping it will continue to improve to where it can make it between oil changes -- that's all it really needs to be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine was from the get go, I ditched at 12k miles and it consumed no less than about 16 quarts of oil in that period of time.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Mine used ~0.5 quarts in the first 3k miles. It maybe used another 0.25 on the next 3k. Since then I dont seem to get much consumption or it is at a level too low to notice. Still I check my oil at least once a week.

·
845 Posts
Mine used ~0.5 quarts in the first 3k miles. It maybe used another 0.25 on the next 3k. Since then I dont seem to get much consumption or it is at a level too low to notice. Still I check my oil at least once a week.
IMO that's what a new engine should be like -- using a little oil during the first few thousand, then settle down to virtually no consumption.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've got a 2017 1/2 Trailhawk with 18,000 kms on it. About 8 months old. I've never had a vehicle "drip" oil on my driveway before, let alone as many as this one has already.

I've driven vehicles 200,000 kms without ever having a drop of oil on the driveway!

Should I be concerned? I'm thinking I should be.

Running 100% synthetic, and due for it's second change

·
Registered
398 Posts
If it is leaking oil, you should be concerned. People in this thread are talking about oil consumption, which is not an external leak. An external leak should be fixed ASAP. Just make sure it’s an engine oil leak, not tranny or ptu (or A/C condensate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
845 Posts
If it is leaking oil, you should be concerned. People in this thread are talking about oil consumption, which is not an external leak. An external leak should be fixed ASAP. Just make sure it’s an engine oil leak, not tranny or ptu (or A/C condensate).
And likely covered by your warranty. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Asking for a friend, did anyone get the oil consumption issues corrected? I've had several members privately message me recently asking If I ever remediated it, answer in short.... you can't. They won't fix it. They will tell you to kick rocks, do oil consumptions tests and waste your time before the powertrain warranty expires. I just told one guy to cite in the manual on what page does it say it's OK to burn the amount of oil some users are saying it's doing? Not in there? Then stop stalling and fix the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a former GM tech of 25 years and possessing MASTER ASE certs, I tell you oil consumption should NOT be high. I don't care what the dealer says. There are MANY Compasses out there that do not use oil or VERY little. The engine has a mechanical problem. If it's under warranty, TAKE IT BACK! They will lose if you take them to court. The warranty contract binds them legally. I have seen this MANY times (I have been in the automotive business for 46 years). Anyone that needs help please contact me. I can help you navigate the dealer system. Also in the back of your owners manual, you will find a 800 number to complain to the manufacturer. When you tell them you are going to place your complaints online, you will get their attention. NO manufacturer wants negative publicity all over the internet. It hurts their sales and ruins their image. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hope this helps.

·
845 Posts
I'm reporting back. I had my oil changed about 1000 miles ago and I was down less than a quart before the change. Since then I've used virtually no oil, so maybe we are just dealing with an unusually long break-in period. I just turned 19,000 miles tonight.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Now I admit I drive a lot of miles. In six months I've racked up more than most people drive in a year. Obviously excessive oil consumption is a concern for me, and it probably feels worse for someone who has had their Compass for a couple years and is still experiencing oil consumption. On the bright side maybe I've gotten past the worst of it and maybe there is hope for others who are wondering if the oil consumption will ever drop. There might be light at the end of the tunnel -- its just a 20,000 mile tunnel. :plain:

Anybody's Compass still sucking up oil after 20,000 miles?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm reporting back. I had my oil changed about 1000 miles ago and I was down less than a quart before the change. Since then I've used virtually no oil, so maybe we are just dealing with an unusually long break-in period. I just turned 19,000 miles tonight.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Now I admit I drive a lot of miles. In six months I've racked up more than most people drive in a year. Obviously excessive oil consumption is a concern for me, and it probably feels worse for someone who has had their Compass for a couple years and is still experiencing oil consumption. On the bright side maybe I've gotten past the worst of it and maybe there is hope for others who are wondering if the oil consumption will ever drop. There might be light at the end of the tunnel -- its just a 20,000 mile tunnel. :plain:

Anybody's Compass still sucking up oil after 20,000 miles?
im @ almost 18k since may. no oil usage in any of the changes.
now i change every 5k miles, so 3 changes so far

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that if this Multiair engine works by evaporating the oil, then the likelihood of loosing some oil is too big. Oil becomes a gas and then its molecules are a lot smaller and they can squeeze and scape out of the engine easily...

·
Registered
213 Posts
well, being picky here, the oil doesn't evaporate and the molecules don't become smaller. However, when you spray oil from a nozzle for a purpose such as the oil spray cooling of the pistons, some of the oil becomes aerosolized. That just means that some of the oil droplets are so small that they won't settle out by gravity. The question then is what happens to that portion of the oil, and is enough oil becoming aerosolized to account for the oil loss. And why does it happen in some engines but not others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well, being picky here, the oil doesn't evaporate and the molecules don't become smaller. However, when you spray oil from a nozzle for a purpose such as the oil spray cooling of the pistons, some of the oil becomes aerosolized. That just means that some of the oil droplets are so small that they won't settle out by gravity. The question then is what happens to that portion of the oil, and is enough oil becoming aerosolized to account for the oil loss. And why does it happen in some engines but not others.

If the oil becomes aerosolized, then it is easier for it to scape through small holes in the engine if some parts haven’t been sealed completely.

21 - 40 of 183 Posts